- From the south, leave M6 at J21A and join M62 west. Leave M62 at J6 to join M57, follow signs for races. From North Leave M6 at J26 and join M58, follow signs for races. From Mersey Tunnels follow signs for Preston, then for A59, then signs for races. The main entrance to the racecourse via Grand National Avenue is just off Ormskirk Road (A59). Please use this entrance for conference and events. For Sat Nav users, please enter the postcode L9 5AS.
- There is parking for up to 1,800 cars. Car parking is available for free at Aintree on non Grand National meetings. For the Randox Health Grand National Festival car parking is limited and must be purchased in advance. To enquire or make a booking, call the Booking Line on 0344 579 3001. Parking needs to be pre-booked and is not available for purchase on the day.
- There is a bus stop within 150 metres of the venue.
- Aintree can be reached by bus on services: 300, 310 and 345 both to and from Liverpool.
- For more information on Arriva Bus please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest Railway Station is Aintree.
- The easiest way to reach Aintree is by train. The nearest mainline station to Aintree is Liverpool Lime Street. Liverpool Central Station is just a short walk from Lime Street, where you can catch a train to Aintree. Aintree Station is directly opposite the racecourse, where regular trains run every 15 minutes on racedays (more frequently during The Randox Health Grand National Festival).
- For more information on National Rail please click here (opens new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- For the racecourse map please click here (new tab).
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
Outside Access (The Princess Royal Stand - Main Entrance and Reception)
- This information is for the entrance located off the main car park.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is step-free access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 152cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- There are bollards at this entrance.
- The minimum width between the bollards is 108cm.
- There is a member of staff available for assistance at this entrance.
- A set of manual double doors with a width of 160cm are to the right of the automatic doors.
Reception (Reception and Sales Desk)
- The reception point is located to the right when entering the main entrance.
- The reception point is approximately 4m (4yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The reception area/desk is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step-free access to the reception point.
- There is a clear unobstructed route to the reception point.
- There are no windows, TVs, glazed screens or mirrors behind the reception point which could adversely affect the ability of someone to lip read.
- The counter is placed in front of a plain background.
- The lighting levels at the reception point are good.
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is not a lowered section of the counter.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is not a hearing assistance system at the reception point.
- Signs and universally accepted symbols or pictograms, indicating lifts, stairs, WCs, circulation routes and other parts of the building are not provided in the reception area.
- The type of flooring in the reception area is carpet.
Reception Seating Area
- There is a waiting area close to the reception point.
- Access to the waiting area is unobstructed.
- There is sufficient space for a wheelchair user to use the waiting area.
- There is a bell at the reception which is 137cm high.
Other Floors (The Princess Royal Stand)
- Stairs can be used to access other floors.
- The stairs are for public use.
- The stairs are located in the Princess Royal Stand reception area.
- The stairs are approximately 6m from the main entrance.
- The stairs are clearly visible from the entrance.
- There are manual, double doors which may be difficult to open to enter and exit the stairwell on all floors.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G, 1, 2, 3, 4.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on landings.
- The lighting levels at the steps are good.
Lift (The Princess Royal Stand)
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located in the The Princess Royal Stand reception area.
- Signs indicating the location of the lift are not available from the entrance.
- The lift is approximately 11m (12yd 1in) from the the Princess Royal Stand Main Entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- A member of staff does not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G, 1, 2, 3, 4.
- There are manual, double doors which may be difficult to open to access the lift lobby on all floors.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is good.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is good.
- The clear door width is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 190cm x 140cm (6ft 3in x 4ft 7in).
- There are no separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is not a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting levels in the lift are good.
- There is not an/are not accessible toilet(s) for public use.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located on the first floor of the Princess Royal Stand.
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located on the first floor of the Princess Royal Stand.
Related Access Guides
- To view other DisabledGo access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Getting Around Aintree Racecourse link (new tab) - click here.
- Betting Counters around the Racecourse link (new tab) - click here.