Show Easy Read
- Services / facilities within the grounds include Lock Keepers Cottage, Visitor Centre and walking paths.
- Related link Lock Keepers Cottage.
- Related link Lock Keepers Cottage - Visitor Centre.
- The Lock Keeper's Cottage and the Industry Lighter (Barge) have been fully restored through a range of Heritage Lottery, European, Government and Council funding.
- The Regional Park opens these facilities to the public as part of their living heritage through Volunteer Heritage Guides.
- The barge can be hired for historical tours etc.
- Wall mounted information boards are provided.
- Generally the cottage and barge will be open 10:00 - 16:00, but this may vary as it is dependent on the availability of volunteers.
- The opening times at present apply from Monday through to Friday, with weekend opening on the last weekend of the month between 11.00 - 15.30.
- The venue is in a pedestrian area.
- There is not a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Balmoral Halt.
- There is not a tram stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is free for all users.
- The car park is located off Lock Keepers Lane.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 2 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 305cm x 500cm (10ft x 16ft 5in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 50m (54yd 2ft) from the cottage entrance.
- The furthest Blue Badge bay is 53m (57yd 2ft) from the cottage entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
Drop off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the side of the barge.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The bell is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The door(s) is / are permanently held open.
- The width of the door opening is 87cm (2ft 10in).
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp or slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is steep.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The ramp does have handrails.
- The handrails are on both sides.
- The width of the ramp/slope is 92cm (3ft).
- There is not tactile paving at the top and bottom of the steps.
- There is not level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are not allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The lighting levels are varied.
Level Change (Access to Lower Deck)
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located ahead as you enter the main entrance.
- There is/are 9 step(s) to the area/service.
- The lighting levels at the step(s) are medium.
- The step(s) is/are clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are deep (18cm+).
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- There is a stair lift to overcome the stairs.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
- The nearest accessible toilet facilities are located in the Visitor Centre.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest standard toilet facilities are located in the Visitor Centre.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- A bowl of water cannot be provided for an assistance dog.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.