- The terminal remains open for passenger operations as normal.
- The Special Assistance desk is open for all inbound and outbound flights.
- At least one airside catering unit will be open for all outbound flights.
- Vending machines and water fountains are available 24/7.
- The Park and Fly car park (off-site) has been temporarily closed.
- Parts of the Main Stay and Long Stay Car Parks have also been closed, however all Blue Badge parking remains fully accessible as normal.
- The majority of Blue Badge spaces are in the Short Stay Car Park, directly outside the terminal building and access to the Assistance Points are unaffected.
- An external queueing system has been set up under the canopy which runs along the front of the terminal building. This queuing system is in place should room not be available within the terminal itself.
- The front of the terminal building is served by four entrance / exit doors.
- As part of a system to segregate arriving and departing passengers, all departing passengers must enter the building via the West Check In Entrance only.
- The East Check In Entrance has been closed.
- Both doors to/ from Arrivals remain in use for passengers/ family and friends to make their way to/ from the Arrivals Hall.
- Sanitising units and queueing systems have been placed so that they have no impact on maneuvering space.
- There are numerous hand sanitising stations in situ around the terminal building. They are placed at all entrance and exit points as well as both before and after contact points, such as pre and post security.
- All departure gate areas have sanitising units installed and in common / seating areas throughout the departures concourse.
- All retailers and catering outlets also have sanitising units at their entrances.
- Seating within the terminal building has been rearranged to support social distancing.
- New queue systems are also in place to support distancing at main gate areas.
- Catering outlets will have a maximum number of customers at any one time - all tables are spaced to support social distancing measures.
- There is a one way system in place for departures whereby all departing passengers must enter the building via the West Check In Entrance.
- From there they can access Check In, Departures and also proceed to the Arrivals Hall / Exit.
- Arriving Passengers however cannot enter the Departures area without exiting the terminal first.
- Signage is in place to advise that only one group is permitted in a lift at a time and some areas of the terminal are "Keep Right" or "Keep Left", including some staircases.
- All one way or one side directions are clearly indicated by way of new signage.
- Floor markings are in place in all queue areas throughout the terminal and in areas where passengers may congregate such as baggage belts and security loading areas.
- Signage is in place throughout the terminal on walls, on Flight Information Display Screens and announcements are made via the tannoy system.
- Directional arrows have also been placed on the floor to support passenger flow.
- All desks and contact points in the terminal have perspex screens installed including Check In, Departure Gates, Special Assistance desk, Retailers, Car Hire and Passport Control.
- Two toilet facilities have been temporarily closed - The Lagan Bar and Gate 26. Alternative toilet facilities are located a short distance away. This has no impact on PRM toilet facilities which all remain in use.
- The Changing Places facility at Gate 18 / The Northern Quarter, remains fully open and operational with an enhanced cleaning schedule.
- Family rooms and any passenger shower facilities remain open as normal.
- All staff in the terminal, irrespective of their employer or role are responsible for supporting Covid-19 measures in place.
- A member of staff will be at the terminal entrance at busy periods to assist.
- Face masks are mandatory within the terminal building.
- Anyone who cannot wear a face mask could be asked to provide a medical note for this by their airline/ airline representative or denied the right to fly.
- We recommend advising your airline at the time of booking of any condition that would mean you cannot wear a mask.
- Face masks and hygiene kits are available to purchase in a vending machine in the Check In Hall.
- All Staff in the airport will be wearing face coverings at all times, unless behind a protective screen.
- An enhanced cleaning regime is in place to include; greater emphasis on contact points such as lift buttons and door handles, all trollies and wheelchairs are santised after every use, all surfaces "fogged" with a 72 hour disinfectant spray, all security trays sanitised after use.
- The airport fully supports the installation and use of the "Stop Covid NI" track and trace app.
- For more information around COVID-19 and the measure put in place by the airport please click here.
Getting Help and Assistance
- To book and obtain special assistance and for information please click here (new tab).
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- There is not a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- Team members receive deaf awareness training.
- There is not a member of staff trained in Irish Sign Language.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille.
- There is an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/nearby.
- The assistance dog toilet or toileting area is located landside or airside as directed by the Special Assistance Team.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, ceiling track hoists, wheelchairs, shower chairs and hoist slings.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the Special Assistance team in the Check-in Hall.
- There is a designated place of safety which can be used by people with dementia, autism or learning disabilities.
- The place of safety is located in the International Departures corridor.
- For information about the Belfast International Airport Special Assistance Services please click here (opens in new tab).
Getting To Departure Gates (10-17)
- The access to departure gates 10-17 is located between the Duty Free shop and Costa.
There is clear signage to the departure gates.
There are two ramps along the corridor.
The first ramp is slight.
Departure Gates 16 and 17 are located to the right after the first ramp.
The second ramp is steep.
Departures Gates 10, 11 and 14 are located at the top of the second ramp.
A member of the special assistance team can provide assistance for passengers with restricted mobility.
- The type of flooring in along the route is vinyl.
- There are not travellators available along the route.
- There are not resting/seating areas along the route.
- Wayfinding signage is available along the route.
- The lighting levels along the route are good.
Departure Gates (10, 11 and 14)
Departure Gates Waiting Area
- The departure gate(s) in this area is/are gate(s) 10, 11 and 14.
- There is seating available at the departure gate(s).
- There is a mixture of seating with and without armrests.
- There is designated seating available for people with reduced mobility.
- The type of flooring in the departure gate(s) is vinyl and tiles.
- There is some flooring which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- The lighting levels are good.
Departure Gate Details
- There is clear signage to the departure gate(s).
- A documentation check desk is available at gate(s) 10, 11 and 14.
- The height of the documentation check desk(s) is high (95cm+).
- There is a low (76cm-86cm) section of the documentation check desk available at gates 10, 11 and 14.
- There is a single, permanently held open door with an opening width of 75cm+ for access to the airbridge/tarmac.
- There is step free access via lift to departure gate(s) 10, 11 and 14.
- There is step free access to the aircraft via the tarmac from departure gate(s) 10, 11 and 14.
- There is an Ambulift available.
- The accessibility of the individual aircraft varies depending on the provider. Please contact your airline company prior to booking for more information.
Accessible Toilet(s) (Departure Gates 10, 11 and 14)
- There is an/are accessible toilet(s) for public use.
- This accessible toilet is located to the right of Departure Gate 14.
- There is step-free access to the accessible toilet.
- This is a shared toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- There is pictorial and written text signage on or near the toilet door.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is light.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 82cm (2ft 8in).
- The door has a horizontal grab rail.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 175cm x 199cm (5ft 9in x 6ft 6in).
- The accessible toilet does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm.
- The toilet has a non-slip floor.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 105cm (3ft 5in).
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is not a spatula type lever flush.
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The emergency pull cord alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- There is a flashing fire alarm beacon within the toilet.
- Disposal facilities are available in the toilet.
- There is a/are female sanitary and open waste paper bin disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The height of the coat hook is 100cm from the floor.
- There is a/are wall-mounted grab rail(s) available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rail(s) is/are on both sides.
- There is a vertical wall-mounted grab rail on the transfer side.
- There is a horizontal wall-mounted grab rail on the opposite side of the seat to the transfer space.
- There is not a mirror.
- There is not a shelf next to the toilet.
- The toilet has a backrest and a cistern.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 46cm (1ft 6in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 74cm (2ft 5in).
- There are vertical wall-mounted grab rails on both sides of the wash basin.
- The wash basin tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- Taps have clear markings to indicate hot and cold settings.
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 95cm.
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is not a hand dryer.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are good.
Standard Toilet(s) (Departure Gates 10, 11 and 14)
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located to the left of Departure Gate 14.
- There is step-free access to the female and male toilet(s).
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- There is not a lowered urinal in the male toilet(s).
- An ambulant toilet with wall-mounted grab rails is not available.
- There is not a lowered wash basin.
- The wash basin(s) tap type is push.
- There is a flashing fire alarm beacon within the toilets.
- Lighting levels are good.
Parent and Baby Room (Departure Gates 10, 11 and 14)
- There is a parent and baby room for public use.
- The parent and baby room is located next to Departure Gate 14.
- There is step-free access to the parent and baby room.
- Staff do need to be notified for use of the room.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the parent and baby room door.
- The baby change table is not set against the wall, permanently fixed at 75cm from the floor.
- The baby change table is not height adjustable.
- The height of the baby change table once extended is 98cm (3ft 3in).
- There are disposal facilities in the parent and baby room.
- There is a wash basin in the parent and baby room.
- The height of the wash basin is 83cm.
- The wash basin tap type is push.
- There is a/are chair(s) in the parent and baby room.
- There is a chair with armrests on both sides.
- There is not a toilet in the parent and baby room.
- There is a flashing fire alarm beacon within the room.
- The lighting levels are good.
Step(s) (Departure Gates - 10, 11 and 14 to Tarmac)
- There is a/are step(s) located at the rear of the Departure Gates.
- There is/are 15+ step(s).
- The step(s) is/are clearly marked.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between 15cm and 18cm.
- The height of the step(s) is/are 15cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between 30cm and 45cm.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- The lighting levels at the step(s) are good.
- The departure gate stairs can be overcome by using the Departure Gate 16 and 17 lift.
- A member of the special assistance team will assist a person with restricted mobility from departure gates 10, 11 and 14 to the lift and across the tarmac to the aircraft.
Wheelchair Route to Tarmac - Via the Departure Gate 16 and 17 Lift
- The wheelchair route to the lift to Departure Gates 16 and 17 is located to the right of Departure Gate 14.
- A member of the special assistance team will escort passengers with restricted mobility along the route to the aircraft via the lift.
- There is step free access along the corridor.
- The surface of the floor is carpet.
- There are manual doors along the route. The doors are over 75cm wide.
- There are steep ramps along the route.
- The member of the special assistance team will provide assistance with the doors and ramp.
- After exiting the corridor there is step free access to the departure gates 16 and 17 lift.
- After exiting the lift on the ground floor passengers will be escorted through a single door and across the tarmac to the aircraft.
Departure Gates to the Aircraft
- There is step-free access from the departure gates to the aircraft.
- A member of the special assistance team can provide assistance for passengers with restricted mobility to the aircraft.
- Where aircrafts are parked at a distance from the departure gate, transfer may be made by minibus with a steep ramp access at the rear. The width of the ramp is 80cm.
- Entry to the aircraft is either by mobile steps or Ambulift.
- The clear door width of the lift entrance is 100cm.
- The dimensions of the lift are 203cm x 100cm (6ft 8in x 3ft 3in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is seating available in the Ambulift.
- The seats do not have armrests.
- There is a designated space available for wheelchair users.
- There are 4 wheelchair spaces.
- There are 3 Ambulifts that may be used.
- The information above describes the smallest Ambulift (shown in photographs 1-4).
- The largest has a 230cm wide x 120 deep lift, with 120cm wide entry gate. There are 3 drop down seats without armrests and space for up to 9 wheelchairs (photographs 5-8 show the largest Ambulift).