- The terminal remains open for passenger operations as normal.
- The Special Assistance desk is open for all inbound and outbound flights.
- At least one airside catering unit will be open for all outbound flights.
- Vending machines and water fountains are available 24/7.
- The Park and Fly car park (off-site) has been temporarily closed.
- Parts of the Main Stay and Long Stay Car Parks have also been closed, however all Blue Badge parking remains fully accessible as normal.
- The majority of Blue Badge spaces are in the Short Stay Car Park, directly outside the terminal building and access to the Assistance Points are unaffected.
- An external queueing system has been set up under the canopy which runs along the front of the terminal building. This queuing system is in place should room not be available within the terminal itself.
- The front of the terminal building is served by four entrance / exit doors.
- As part of a system to segregate arriving and departing passengers, all departing passengers must enter the building via the West Check In Entrance only.
- The East Check In Entrance has been closed.
- Both doors to/ from Arrivals remain in use for passengers/ family and friends to make their way to/ from the Arrivals Hall.
- Sanitising units and queueing systems have been placed so that they have no impact on maneuvering space.
- There are numerous hand sanitising stations in situ around the terminal building. They are placed at all entrance and exit points as well as both before and after contact points, such as pre and post security.
- All departure gate areas have sanitising units installed and in common / seating areas throughout the departures concourse.
- All retailers and catering outlets also have sanitising units at their entrances.
- Seating within the terminal building has been rearranged to support social distancing.
- New queue systems are also in place to support distancing at main gate areas.
- Catering outlets will have a maximum number of customers at any one time - all tables are spaced to support social distancing measures.
- There is a one way system in place for departures whereby all departing passengers must enter the building via the West Check In Entrance.
- From there they can access Check In, Departures and also proceed to the Arrivals Hall / Exit.
- Arriving Passengers however cannot enter the Departures area without exiting the terminal first.
- Signage is in place to advise that only one group is permitted in a lift at a time and some areas of the terminal are "Keep Right" or "Keep Left", including some staircases.
- All one way or one side directions are clearly indicated by way of new signage.
- Floor markings are in place in all queue areas throughout the terminal and in areas where passengers may congregate such as baggage belts and security loading areas.
- Signage is in place throughout the terminal on walls, on Flight Information Display Screens and announcements are made via the tannoy system.
- Directional arrows have also been placed on the floor to support passenger flow.
- All desks and contact points in the terminal have perspex screens installed including Check In, Departure Gates, Special Assistance desk, Retailers, Car Hire and Passport Control.
- Two toilet facilities have been temporarily closed - The Lagan Bar and Gate 26. Alternative toilet facilities are located a short distance away. This has no impact on PRM toilet facilities which all remain in use.
- The Changing Places facility at Gate 18 / The Northern Quarter, remains fully open and operational with an enhanced cleaning schedule.
- Family rooms and any passenger shower facilities remain open as normal.
- All staff in the terminal, irrespective of their employer or role are responsible for supporting Covid-19 measures in place.
- A member of staff will be at the terminal entrance at busy periods to assist.
- Face masks are mandatory within the terminal building.
- Anyone who cannot wear a face mask could be asked to provide a medical note for this by their airline/ airline representative or denied the right to fly.
- We recommend advising your airline at the time of booking of any condition that would mean you cannot wear a mask.
- Face masks and hygiene kits are available to purchase in a vending machine in the Check In Hall.
- All Staff in the airport will be wearing face coverings at all times, unless behind a protective screen.
- An enhanced cleaning regime is in place to include; greater emphasis on contact points such as lift buttons and door handles, all trollies and wheelchairs are santised after every use, all surfaces "fogged" with a 72 hour disinfectant spray, all security trays sanitised after use.
- The airport fully supports the installation and use of the "Stop Covid NI" track and trace app.
- For more information around COVID-19 and the measure put in place by the airport please click here.
Getting Help and Assistance
- To book and obtain special assistance and for information please click here (new tab).
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- There is not a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- Team members receive deaf awareness training.
- There is not a member of staff trained in Irish Sign Language.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille.
- There is an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/nearby.
- The assistance dog toilet or toileting area is located landside or airside as directed by the Special Assistance Team.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, ceiling track hoists, wheelchairs, shower chairs and hoist slings.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the Special Assistance team in the Check-in Hall.
- There is a designated place of safety which can be used by people with dementia, autism or learning disabilities.
- The place of safety is located in the International Departures corridor.
- For information about the Belfast International Airport Special Assistance Services please click here (opens in new tab).
Getting To Departure Gates (10-17)
- The access to departure gates 10-17 is located between the Duty Free shop and Costa.
There is clear signage to the departure gates.
There are two ramps along the corridor.
The first ramp is slight.
Departure Gates 16 and 17 are located to the right after the first ramp.
The second ramp is steep.
Departures Gates 10, 11 and 14 are located at the top of the second ramp.
A member of the special assistance team can provide assistance for passengers with restricted mobility.
- The type of flooring in along the route is vinyl.
- There are not travellators available along the route.
- There are not resting/seating areas along the route.
- Wayfinding signage is available along the route.
- The lighting levels along the route are good.
Access To (Departure Gates - 16 and 17)
- Stairs can be used to access other floors.
- The stairs are located at the rear of the Departure Gates 16 and 17 corridor.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are 1 (Departure Gate Corridor) and G (Departure Gates).
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels at the steps are good.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located along the corridor to Departure Gates 16 and 17.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- A member of staff needs to be notified for use of the lift.
- A member of staff is required to operate the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 1 (Departure Gate Corridor) and G (Departure Gates).
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is poor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is good.
- The clear door width of the lift is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 110cm x 140cm (3ft 7in x 4ft 7in).
- There are no separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The internal controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is not a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting levels in the lift are good.
Departure Gates (16 and 17)
Departure Gates Waiting Area
- The departure gate(s) in this area is/are gate(s) 16 and 17.
- There is seating available at the departure gate(s).
- There is a mixture of seating with and without armrests.
- There is designated seating available for people with reduced mobility.
- The type of flooring in the departure gate(s) is vinyl.
- There is flooring which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- The lighting levels are good.
Departure Gate Details
- There is clear signage to the departure gate(s).
- A documentation check desk is available at gate(s) 16 and 17.
- The height of the documentation check desk(s) is low (76cm-86cm).
- There is double, permanently held open doors with an opening width of 75cm+ for access to the airbridge/tarmac.
- There is step free access to departure gate(s) 16 and 17.
- There is step free access to the aircraft via the tarmac from departure gate(s) 16 and 17.
- There is an Ambulift available.
- The accessibility of the individual aircraft varies depending on the provider. Please contact your airline company prior to booking for more information.
- There is not an/are not accessible toilet(s) for public use.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located in the departure lounge.
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located in the departure lounge.