Getting To The Hospital
- The Birmingham Women's and Children's Hospital is located on Steelhouse Lane.
- Parking is available at the NCP Royal Angus Car Park located on Whittall Street, B4 6HD opposite the hospital or Printing House Car Park located on Printing House Street B4 6DE.
- Getting to Birmingham Children's Hospital by bus. Services 33, 51, 52, 65, 67, X3, X4, X5, 907, X14, 934, 935, 935A, 936, 997, X51 – stop on James Watt Queensway or on Corporation Street. Services 16, 74 - to the bus stop at Old Square.
- Buses to Birmingham Children's Hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located on the main corridor just past the reception.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 01213 338 403.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Volunteers can be found in the main foyer.
- Hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- Documents are available in an alternative format and can be provided to include: Braille on request, large print on request and Makaton on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- A mobility scooter charging point is not available at the hospital.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- The hospital does not have a dedicated car park.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located outside the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are dropped kerbs.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 14m (15yd 11in) from the Main entrance.
- This distance is from the drop off bay.
On Street Standard Parking
- Standard on street parking is available.
Public Car Park
- There is a car park for public use within approximately 200m (219yd).
- The public car park is located on Weaman Street.
- The name of the car park is Royal Angus and B4 Car Park.
- There is not a designated drop-off point.
Getting To (Costa Coffee)
- Costa Coffee is/are located on the ground floor in the main foyer.
- Access to Costa Coffee is via the main hospital entrance.
- Enter via the main hospital entrance and proceed along the main corridor. Costa Coffee is located to the left.
- There is step free access to Costa Coffee.
- Costa Coffee is approximately 13m from the main hospital entrance.
- Wayfinding signage is not provided.
- There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the hospital.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- There is a dark mat or floor marking at this entrance that might be perceived as a hole.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is an intercom.
- The height of the intercom is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- There is a hand sanitiser.
- The height of the hand sanitiser is 147cm (4ft 10in).
- There is a door release button when exiting.
- The height of the door release button is 127cm (4ft 2in).
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 171cm.
- The ramp/slope is located to the left and right and beyond the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The handrail(s) is/are in the centre going up the ramp.
- The lighting levels at the ramp/slope are medium.
- The ramp/slope does not bypass the step(s).
- The doors are locked at 10.00pm when the intercom is needed and exit button.
- The counter is located to the right on entering.
- The counter is approximately 13m (14yd 8in) from the main hospital entrance.
- Clear signage for the counter is visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the counter.
- The lighting levels at the counter are medium.
- The height of the counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is not a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is level access once inside.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Wayfinding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate and wood.
- There is some flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- The lighting levels are varied.
Eating and Drinking
- The following information is for the cafe.
- Food or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food or drinks can be brought to the table.
- There is not a lowered section at the counter.
- Some tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- Some chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is approximately 9m (9yd 2ft) from the main hospital entrance.
- The distance between the floor and the lowest table is 51cm (1ft 8in).
- The distance between the floor and the highest table is 67cm (2ft 2in).
- Plastic / takeaway cups are available.
- Plastic / takeaway cutlery is available.
- Drinking straws are not available.
- There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- Menus are wall only.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Picture menus are not available.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is hot and cold snacks and drinks.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Birmingham Womens and Childrens Hospital Main Entrance link (new tab) - click here.