COVID-19 Information (Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust)
Getting To The Hospital
- The Birmingham Women's and Children's Hospital is located on Steelhouse Lane.
- Parking is available at the NCP Royal Angus Car Park located on Whittall Street, B4 6HD opposite the hospital or Printing House Car Park located on Printing House Street B4 6DE.
- Getting to Birmingham Children's Hospital by bus. Services 33, 51, 52, 65, 67, X3, X4, X5, 907, X14, 934, 935, 935A, 936, 997, X51 – stop on James Watt Queensway or on Corporation Street. Services 16, 74 - to the bus stop at Old Square.
- Buses to Birmingham Children's Hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located on the main corridor just past the reception.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 01213 338 403.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Volunteers can be found in the main foyer.
- Hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- Documents are available in an alternative format and can be provided to include: Braille on request, large print on request and Makaton on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- A mobility scooter charging point is not available at the hospital.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- The hospital does not have a dedicated car park.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located outside the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are dropped kerbs.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 14m (15yd 11in) from the Main entrance.
- This distance is from the drop off bay.
On Street Standard Parking
- Standard on street parking is available.
Public Car Park
- There is a car park for public use within approximately 200m (219yd).
- The public car park is located on Weaman Street.
- The name of the car park is Royal Angus and B4 Car Park.
- There is not a designated drop-off point.
Getting To (Lecture Theatre)
- Lecture Theatre is/are located on lower Ground Floor.
- Access to Lecture Theatre is via the main entrance.
- Enter via the main entrance and proceed up the ramped corridor past reception. Follow the corridor and turn right on to hospital street to the lifts on the left. Take the lifts to the lower ground floor and the Lecture Theatre is directly ahead.
- There is step free access to Lecture Theatre.
- Lecture Theatre is approximately 10m from the lift.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- Dementia friendly signage is not provided.
- There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- There is flooring in corridors which includes patterns or colours which could be confusing or look like steps or holes to some people.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the hospital.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- There is a dark mat or floor marking at this entrance that might be perceived as a hole.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is an intercom.
- The height of the intercom is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- There is a hand sanitiser.
- The height of the hand sanitiser is 147cm (4ft 10in).
- There is a door release button when exiting.
- The height of the door release button is 127cm (4ft 2in).
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 171cm.
- The ramp/slope is located to the left and right and beyond the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The handrail(s) is/are in the centre going up the ramp.
- The lighting levels at the ramp/slope are medium.
- The ramp/slope does not bypass the step(s).
- The doors are locked at 10.00pm when the intercom is needed and exit button.
Other Floors (Restaurant)
- Signs indicating the location of the stairs are clearly visible from the entrance.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are LG, G.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are good.
Lift (Main Lifts)
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the right on entering.
- Signs indicating the location of this lift are clearly visible from the entrance.
- The lift is approximately 46m (50yd 11in) from the main hospital entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are LG, G, 1, 2.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is good.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is fair.
- The clear door width is 129cm (4ft 3in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 146cm x 251cm (4ft 9in x 8ft 3in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is not a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The internal controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is low.
- Opening times for the venue vary according to bookings/events taking place.
Entrance (Lecture Theatre)
- This information is for the entrance located lower ground floor.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is an intercom but it is not at a convenient height for wheelchair users to gain access.
- There is no hand sanitiser at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are single width with a locked extension leaf.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 83cm.
- The Lecture theatre has a fixed hearing loop system installed.
- There is space for wheelchair access at the front of the theatre.
- There are steps to access the rest of the theatre.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located outside the restaurant in the corridor leading to the lifts.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 4m (4yd 1ft) from the lift.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The door is light.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 87cm (2ft 10in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 200cm x 210cm (6ft 7in x 6ft 11in).
- The accessible toilet does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm in front of the seat.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The lateral transfer space was obstructed at the time of the survey.
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is not a spatula type lever flush.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary and general domestic waste disposal units.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the cubicle.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on the left.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the hand dryer is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 115cm.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 80cm (2ft 7in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located outside the restaurant in the corridor.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 4m (4yd 1ft) from the lift.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is not available.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Birmingham Womens and Childrens Hospital Main Entrance link (new tab) - click here.