COVID-19 Information (Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Foundation Trust)
Getting To The Hospital
- The Birmingham Women's and Children's Hospital is located on Steelhouse Lane.
- Parking is available at the NCP Royal Angus Car Park located on Whittall Street, B4 6HD opposite the hospital or Printing House Car Park located on Printing House Street B4 6DE.
- Getting to Birmingham Children's Hospital by bus. Services 33, 51, 52, 65, 67, X3, X4, X5, 907, X14, 934, 935, 935A, 936, 997, X51 – stop on James Watt Queensway or on Corporation Street. Services 16, 74 - to the bus stop at Old Square.
- Buses to Birmingham Children's Hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located on the main corridor just past the reception.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 01213 338 403.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Volunteers can be found in the main foyer.
- Hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- Documents are available in an alternative format and can be provided to include: Braille on request, large print on request and Makaton on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- A mobility scooter charging point is not available at the hospital.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- The hospital does not have a dedicated car park.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located outside the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are dropped kerbs.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 14m (15yd 11in) from the Main entrance.
- This distance is from the drop off bay.
On Street Standard Parking
- Standard on street parking is available.
Public Car Park
- There is a car park for public use within approximately 200m (219yd).
- The public car park is located on Weaman Street.
- The name of the car park is Royal Angus and B4 Car Park.
- There is not a designated drop-off point.
Getting To (PALS)
- PALS is/are located on the ground floor of the hospital.
- Access to PALS is via the Main Hospital entrance.
- Enter via the main hospital entrance and proceed along the main corridor. Continue past the reception on the right and the PALS office is located to the left.
- There is step free access to PALS.
- PALS is approximately 27m from the Main Hospital entrance.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- Dementia friendly signage is not provided.
- There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the hospital.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- There is a dark mat or floor marking at this entrance that might be perceived as a hole.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is an intercom.
- The height of the intercom is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- There is a hand sanitiser.
- The height of the hand sanitiser is 147cm (4ft 10in).
- There is a door release button when exiting.
- The height of the door release button is 127cm (4ft 2in).
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 171cm.
- The ramp/slope is located to the left and right and beyond the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The handrail(s) is/are in the centre going up the ramp.
- The lighting levels at the ramp/slope are medium.
- The ramp/slope does not bypass the step(s).
- The doors are locked at 10.00pm when the intercom is needed and exit button.
- Monday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Thursday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Friday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
Room / Area (PALS)
- There is / are 1 room(s) / area(s) available.
- The name / number of the room / area surveyed was; PALS.
- The room / area is approximately 17m from the Main Hospital entrance.
- There is level access to the room / area.
- There is a/are door(s) into the room / area.
- The door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 81cm (2ft 8in).
- The type of flooring is vinyl/laminate.
- There is not room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- There is not a bed / couch.
- A hoist is not available.
- There is a chair.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- The chair(s) is not/are not height adjustable.
- There are no chairs with armrests available.
- Some tables are permanently fixed.
- The room / area does not have background music playing.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the room / area.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- The nearest accessible toilet is located on the main corridor.
- The nearest standard toilet is located on the main corridor.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Birmingham Womens and Childrens Hospital Main Entrance link (new tab) - click here.