Show Easy Read
Getting To The Hospital
- The main entrance to Guy's Hospital is located off Great Maze Pond. Please use the postcode SE1 9RT. Guy's Hospital is located in the Congestion Charge zone.
- Parking is very limited for Guy's Hospital. Please use public transport whenever possible. Parking in Guy's car park is only available for disabled patients on Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 and 16:40.
- Please allow plenty of time to get from the bus stop to the hospital, as the hospital is not signposted from the bus stop locations. The following buses stop at London Bridge, London Bridge Station or near Guy's Hospital: 17, 21, 35, 40, 43, 47, 48, 133, 141, 149, 343, 381, 521, 701, RV1, C10. Night buses stop at or near London Bridge: N21, N35, N47, N133, N343 and N381.
- London Bridge is the nearest railway station and is five minutes walk away.
- The nearest underground stations are: London Bridge - Northern and Jubilee lines (five minutes walk away). Monument - District and Circle lines (15 minutes walk away).
- Transport for London Website.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located on the ground floor in the main foyer.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 020 7188 8801.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers can be found around the hospital at information points.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs, walking frames, walking sticks and crutches.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact the main reception.
- If you require any additional information or assistance, please speak to a member of staff.
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located outside the main entrance.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 15 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 367cm x 756cm (12ft x 24ft 10in).
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located to the right of the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There are not parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are not provided.
- Payment signs are not clearly presented.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user unaided.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 24m (26yd 9in) from the accessible entrance.
- Parking at Guy's and St Thomas' hospitals and the community services is very limited.
- Both of the hospitals and many of the services are located in the Congestion Charging zone. Please use public transport whenever possible.
- Charging exceptions
- If you're a disabled patient attending an appointment, you'll be given free parking in the main car park upon production of your Blue Badge (registered in your name) along with your appointment card/letter.
- Please take your Blue Badge (leaving the clock on display if parked in a disabled bay, white entry ticket to the car park and appointment letter/card to the Knowledge and Information Centre (KIC), which is located on the ground floor of St Thomas', North Wing. The KIC is open from 8am to 6pm. Outside these hours, please go to the security desk at the main reception.
- Parking at Guy's
- Between Monday-Friday, 8.30am-4.30pm, there is disabled parking only at Guy's Hospital. Vehicles can only access the car park from Snowsfield and not from St Thomas Street.
- This is for patients who are Blue Badge holders and have an appointment on that day. These disabled parking bays are limited and are available on a first come, first served basis on production of your Blue Badge (registered in your name) along with your appointment card/letter.
- There is an NCP car park at the junction of Snowsfield and Kipling Street, about a five minute walk from the hospital. Charges are displayed at the entrance.
Getting To (Nuffield Surgery)
- Nuffield Surgery is/are located on the fourth floor of Nuffield House.
- To see the hospital map please click here (opens new tab).
- Access to Nuffield Surgery is via the Nuffield House main entrance.
- On entering the main entrance, turn left and continue ahead before taking the lifts located on the right to the fourth floor. On exiting the lifts the Nuffield Surgery reception is located straight ahead.
- There is step free access, via lift, to Nuffield Surgery.
- Nuffield Surgery is approximately 1m from the lift.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- There is flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- There is some flooring in corridors which includes patterns or colours which could be confusing or look like steps or holes to some people.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the side of the building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are double width but one door is locked.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 71cm.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is moderate.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides going up.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are B, G, 1, 2, 3, 4.
- The stairs are located straight ahead after the entrance.
- The stairs are approximately 7m from the main entrance.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the left after the entrance.
- The lift is approximately 8m (8yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are B, G, 1, 2, 3, 4.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 140cm x 240cm (4ft 7in x 7ft 10in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are not within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The controls are higher than 120cm.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does not have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is low.
- Access is by appointment only.
Waiting Room / Area
- There is a waiting room / area.
- The waiting room / area is approximately 10m from the lift.
- There is level access into the waiting room / area.
- There is not a/are not door(s) into the waiting room / area.
- The type of flooring is carpet.
- There is a space for a wheelchair user to wait within the seating area.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- All chairs have armrests.
- Announcements are in person.
- The waiting room / area does not have background music playing.
- There is a flashing fire alarm beacon within the waiting room / area.
- There is not a television.
- Vending machines are not available.
- A water dispenser is not available.
- There is not a play area or toys/books for a child to play with.
- There is space for an assistance dog to rest within the seating area.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- This is a/an Urology Ward ward.
- There is/are 10 side room(s) available.
- There is/are 10 bed(s) on this ward in total.
- There is not a/are not door(s) leading into the ward.
- There is level access throughout the ward.
- There is no clear signage on the ward.
- The type of flooring is carpet.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The height of the ward reception desk is 110cm.
- There is not a lowered section.
- There is a hearing assistance system available at the desk.
Example Side Room
- There are no side rooms available with an accessible ensuite.
- The side room surveyed does not have an accessible ensuite.
- The width of the door opening into the side room is over 75cm.
- The side room surveyed does not have a ceiling track hoist.
- There is sufficient space next to the bed for a mobile hoist to operate.
- There is room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre around the bed.
- Bedside storage is available.
- The colour contrast between the walls and the floor in the side room is good.
- The lighting levels in the side room are medium.
- The width of the door opening into the ensuite is over 75cm.
- There is not a clear unobstructed turning space within the ensuite.
- The fixtures/facilities available in the ensuite include; a bath, a toilet and a wash basin.
- The colour contrast between the walls and the floor in the ensuite is good.
- The lighting levels in the ensuite are medium.
Ward Features and Patient Facilities
- A hearing assistance system is available on the ward.
- The ward does not play background music.
- There is a chair with armrests on both sides.
- A mobile hoist is available on the ward.
- There are no accessible toilet facilities on the ward for visitors.
- Accessible toilet facilities for visitors are located on the ground floor of Nuffield House.
- There are no standard toilet facilities on the ward for visitors.
- Standard toilet facilities for visitors are located on the ground floor of Nuffield House.
Washroom (Side Room)
- The washroom surveyed has a bath, a toilet and a wash basin.
- There is step free access to the washroom surveyed once inside the ward.
- This is an interchangeable between male and female washroom.
- The washroom is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is no additional signage on or near the washroom door.
- The washroom door(s) open(s) inwards.
- The door(s) is/are locked by a twist lock.
- The door(s) is/are heavy to open.
- The width of the door opening is 76cm (2ft 6in).
- The dimensions of the washroom are 168cm x 265cm (5ft 6in x 8ft 8in).
- The washroom does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor).
- There is a push button alarm system in this washroom.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the washroom.
- There is a/are coat hook(s) 162cm from the floor.
- There is a mirror.
- There is not a tall mirror, with suitable specifications, for ease of use.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the wash basin is 79cm.
- There are no wall-mounted grab rails for the wash basin.
- The tap type is lever. It is not a mixer tap.
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 108cm.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the towel dispenser is 113cm.
- There is not a hand dryer.
- Disposal facilities are available.
- The washroom has a non-slip floor.
- The washroom surveyed does not have a ceiling tracking hoist.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 44cm (1ft 5in).
- The toilet has a wall which can act as a back rest.
- There is not a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on the right.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 87cm.
- The bath is not height adjustable.
- The bath tap type is twist/turn. It is a mixer tap.
- There is a shower over/for the bath.
- The shower head is hand held.
- There are wall-mounted grab rails available.
- A bath hoist is not available.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The colour contrast between the external washroom door and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between the internal washroom door and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between the wall-mounted grab rails to the right of the toilet and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The colour contrast between the bath wall-mounted grab rails and wall is good.
- The colour contrast between the washroom floor and walls is good.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Related Access Guides
- To view other DisabledGo access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Guy's Hospital - Main Building link (new tab) - click here.
- Nuffield Health link (new tab) - click here.
Sunflower Lanyard Scheme
- Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust is part of the Sunflower Lanyard Scheme.
- The Sunflower Lanyard Scheme helps people with hidden disabilities which aren’t always obvious – such as autism, dementia and visual or hearing impairments.
- For more information on this scheme please click here.