Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- There is a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- Staff receive deaf awareness training.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/near by.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- The Oracle is in the centre of Reading. There are various routes to the venue. For sat nav users please use the following postcodes for our car parks: Holy Brook Car Park: RG1 2LR, Bridge Street The Riverside Car Park: RG1 2AG, Mill Lane.
- There are two car parks available Holy Brook and The Riverside.
- There is a bus stop within 150 metres of the venue.
- Reading has an award-winning and excellent bus network including Park and Ride schemes stopping near The Oracle. Most buses run late into the night. There are also a number of buses that run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: emerald 5, emerald 6, purple 17 and claret 21. The Reading Readibus has a drop off point outside the Yield Hall entrance. ReadiBus is the dial-a-ride bus service for people with restricted mobility in and around Reading . For more information on Readibus please click here (opens in new tab).
- For more information on Reading Buses please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest Railway Station is Reading.
- Reading station has connections throughout the UK and is situated just 5 minutes walk away. Simply exit the station through the main entrance and cross over the pedestrian crossing immediately outside. Turn left and follow the road straight ahead until you come to the end of the road which brings you out into Broad Street opposite John Lewis. Turn left and The Oracle is on the right hand side, opposite Marks and Spencer.
- For more information on National Rail please click here (opens new tab).
- The information in this section was taken in October 2020.
- The Oracle statement on Covid-19 adaptions:
A number of measures have been introduced to keep people safe. These include the following:
A one-way system in the centre. Signage is in place throughout to help guide your journey while you shop.
Clear signs throughout the centre reminding everyone of the need to social distance, and to avoid shopping in large groups.
Hand sanitiser stations around the centre.
Enhanced cleaning procedures throughout the centre.
Face coverings are compulsory throughout the centre, including in all our stores.
We’re restricting how many people can enter the centre and individual stores at any one time. This way, we can ensure everyone in the centre is able to social distance easily.
Please bear with us, as it might take a little longer than normal to get what you want when you visit.
Our lifts are available for use but social distancing is required at all time, and we are recommending one person or household per lift. Please only enter a vacant lift when it becomes available. This may mean delays to your journey through the centre during times of high use.
Both Riverside and Holy Brook car parks are both open. For further information please visit here.
Shopmobility services are temporarily closed. Please refer to our Shopmobility page for further information and updates.
- The shopping centre is operating at full trading hours but retailer hours may vary at this time.
- Both Riverside and Holy Brook car parks are open including the 137 Blue Badge parking bays.
They are only accepting card or contactless payments at the Pay on Foot machines in the car park.
- There is a member of staff available at the entrance.
- There is hand sanitiser available at the entrance.
- Hand sanitisers are available inside the venue.
- Hand sanitising stations have been added throughout the shopping centre at key locations such as entrances and lift lobbies.
There are some stations where the sanitiser is fixed to a board and some where the sanitiser is free standing on a table.
The height of most hand sanitisers is approximately 100cm.
- There are one way systems in place in some of the shopping centre and some walkways are divided into two channels so that people can keep left and maintain social distancing.
Clear signage is provided on flooring throughout to assist with this.
- The Oracle has provided a crowd checker tool on their website so
people can check how busy the centre is before visiting.
Please click here to view the crowd checker webpage.
- There is clear signage inside to help with social distancing.
- Signage is provided throughout the shopping centre to aid social distancing.
This includes limiting the numbers using lifts, one way systems and reminders of where to stand when queuing outside shops.
- Occupancy of lifts is limited to one person or one household and people are asked to use escalators where possible.
There is extensive signage to inform and remind people at every lift location and within lift cars.
- Customer toilets are available.
- There is a face mask vending machine close to the customer toilets near the Riverside Entrance.
- Security are available throughout the shopping centre to provide assistance and ensure that people are observing social distancing and wearing face masks.
However the Customer Service Desk was closed at the time of the survey as was Shopmobility due to the pandemic.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
Parking (Riverside Car Park)
- The venue does have its own parking facilities.
- The car park is located off Bridge Street.
- The car park type is multi storey.
- The car park does have a height restriction barrier.
- The maximum height of the restriction barrier is 210cm (6ft 11in).
- The car park does have a barrier control system.
- The barrier controls/touchscreen can be reached from the car.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 10+ designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 420cm x 480cm (13ft 9in x 15ft 9in).
- There is a 120cm hatched zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- Clearly marked/signposted parent and child parking bays are available.
- All parking spaces are provided on a first come first served basis.
- There is an additional car park for visitors.
- There are parking charges for the car park.
- Parking is not free for visitors of the venue.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located at the payment machines in the car park.
- Payment term signs do make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located in the lift lobby of the car park and in the atrium.
- There is a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- There is not a/are not clearly marked drop-off point(s).
- Blue Badge parking is located on levels 4, 5 and 6.
- Stairs can be used to access other floors.
- The stairs are for public use.
- The stairs are located to the left of the lift lobby.
- There are manual, heavy, single doors to enter and exit the stairwell on all floors.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The depth of the step(s) is/are not between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on landings.
- The lighting levels at the steps are good.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the left and right of the lift lobby.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- A member of staff does not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- There are manual, heavy, double doors to access the lift lobby on all floors.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are not within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is poor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is good.
- The clear door width is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 195cm x 175cm (6ft 5in x 5ft 9in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The internal controls for the lift are not within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lift controls are within 95cm and 125cm from the floor.
- There is not a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting levels in the lift are good.
- There is a/are similar lift(s) available.
- There are three similar lifts available. Two of the lifts only access the ground floor up to the fifth floor.
- There is not an/are not accessible toilet(s) available.
- The nearest accessible toilet(s) is/are located on Holy Brook Walk - Lower Mall.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located on Holy Brook Walk - Lower Mall.
Exit (Riverside Exit)
- This information is for the exit located to the right after you exit the lift.
- The exit area/door is clearly signed internally.
- The exit is step-free.
- The exit door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 330cm.
- Autism hours occur on the first Tuesday of every month from 9:30-11:30. Please call in advance for further information.
- For information about Holy Brook Walk (Lower Mall) please click here (opens in new tab)
- For information about the Oracle Town Walk Upper Mall (opens in new tab)
- For information about the Riverside please click here(opens in new tab).