Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- There is a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- Staff receive deaf awareness training.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/near by.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- The Oracle is in the centre of Reading. There are various routes to the venue. For sat nav users please use the following postcodes for our car parks: Holy Brook Car Park: RG1 2LR, Bridge Street The Riverside Car Park: RG1 2AG, Mill Lane
- There are two car parks available Holy Brook and The Riverside.
- There is a bus stop within 150 metres of the venue.
- Reading has an award-winning and excellent bus network including Park and Ride schemes stopping near The Oracle. Most buses run late into the night. There are also a number of buses that run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: emerald 5, emerald 6, purple 17 and claret 21. The Reading Readibus has a drop off point outside the Yield Hall entrance. ReadiBus is the dial-a-ride bus service for people with restricted mobility in and around Reading . For more information on Readibus please click here (opens in new tab).
- For more information on Reading Buses please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest Railway Station is Reading.
- Reading station has connections throughout the UK and is situated just 5 minutes walk away. Simply exit the station through the main entrance and cross over the pedestrian crossing immediately outside. Turn left and follow the road straight ahead until you come to the end of the road which brings you out into Broad Street opposite John Lewis. Turn left and The Oracle is on the right hand side, opposite Marks and Spencer.
- For more information on National Rail please click here (opens new tab).
- The information in this section was taken in October 2020.
- The Oracle statement on Covid-19 adaptions:
A number of measures have been introduced to keep people safe. These include the following:
A one-way system in the centre. Signage is in place throughout to help guide your journey while you shop.
Clear signs throughout the centre reminding everyone of the need to social distance, and to avoid shopping in large groups.
Hand sanitiser stations around the centre.
Enhanced cleaning procedures throughout the centre.
Face coverings are compulsory throughout the centre, including in all our stores.
We’re restricting how many people can enter the centre and individual stores at any one time. This way, we can ensure everyone in the centre is able to social distance easily.
Please bear with us, as it might take a little longer than normal to get what you want when you visit.
Our lifts are available for use but social distancing is required at all time, and we are recommending one person or household per lift. Please only enter a vacant lift when it becomes available. This may mean delays to your journey through the centre during times of high use.
Both Riverside and Holy Brook car parks are both open. For further information please visit here.
Shopmobility services are temporarily closed. Please refer to our Shopmobility page for further information and updates.
- The shopping centre is operating at full trading hours but retailer hours may vary at this time.
- Both Riverside and Holy Brook car parks are open including the 137 Blue Badge parking bays.
They are only accepting card or contactless payments at the Pay on Foot machines in the car park.
- There is a member of staff available at the entrance.
- There is hand sanitiser available at the entrance.
- Hand sanitisers are available inside the venue.
- Hand sanitising stations have been added throughout the shopping centre at key locations such as entrances and lift lobbies.
There are some stations where the sanitiser is fixed to a board and some where the sanitiser is free standing on a table.
The height of most hand sanitisers is approximately 100cm.
- There are one way systems in place in some of the shopping centre and some walkways are divided into two channels so that people can keep left and maintain social distancing.
Clear signage is provided on flooring throughout to assist with this.
- The Oracle has provided a crowd checker tool on their website so
people can check how busy the centre is before visiting.
Please click here to view the crowd checker webpage.
- There is clear signage inside to help with social distancing.
- Signage is provided throughout the shopping centre to aid social distancing.
This includes limiting the numbers using lifts, one way systems and reminders of where to stand when queuing outside shops.
- Occupancy of lifts is limited to one person or one household and people are asked to use escalators where possible.
There is extensive signage to inform and remind people at every lift location and within lift cars.
- Customer toilets are available.
- There is a face mask vending machine close to the customer toilets near the Riverside Entrance.
- Security are available throughout the shopping centre to provide assistance and ensure that people are observing social distancing and wearing face masks.
However the Customer Service Desk was closed at the time of the survey as was Shopmobility due to the pandemic.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- The reception point is located ahead as you enter.
- The reception point is approximately 6m (6yd 1ft) from the Shopmobility entrance.
- The reception area/desk is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step-free access to the reception point.
- There is a clear unobstructed route to the reception point.
- There are windows, TVs, glazed screens or mirrors behind the reception point which could adversely affect the ability of someone to lip read.
- The counter is placed in front of a plain background.
- The lighting levels at the reception point are good.
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is a hearing assistance system at the reception point.
- The type of system is a fixed loop.
- The hearing assistance system is signed.
- Staff are trained to use the hearing system.
- The type of flooring in the reception area is carpet.
Reception Seating Area
- There is a waiting area close to the reception point.
- Access to the waiting area is unobstructed.
- There is sufficient space for a wheelchair user to use the waiting area.
- There is an accessible photo booth in the reception waiting area.
- There is step free access into the photo booth.
- The camera is at a lower level.
- There is a flip up seat.
- The height of the flip up seat is 46cm.
Entrance (Shopmobility Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located on Level 1 of the Holy Brook Car Park.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 168cm.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The gradient of the ramp/slope is slight.
- The lighting levels at the ramp/slope are low to moderate.
- Route maps are not available.
- Manual wheelchairs are available.
- Powered wheelchairs are available.
- Powered scooters are available.
- Equipment does not have to be booked in advance.
- There is not a hire charge.
- Escorts are normally available to assist around town / city.
- Escorts do need to be booked in advance.
- Trained escorts are available for people with a visual impairment.
- Visual escorts do need to be booked in advance.
- Trained escorts are available for people with a hearing impairment.
- Hearing escorts do need to be booked in advance.
- It would be necessary to book an escort in advance.
- There are maps of the shopping centre available upon request
- Membership is free.
- There is a drop off area just outside the shopmobility.
- There is a Readibus stop outside the Yeald Hall Entrance.
- Readibus is a free local disability bus.
- The quiet space is located to the left from the Shopmobility entrance.
- The door is single, heavy and opens away from you (push).
- The width of the door opening is 78cm.
- There are chairs with armrests and a sofa.
- The surface of the floor is carpet.
- There is sufficient space for manoeuvring.
Accessible Toilet(s) (Shopmobility - Right Transfer)
- There is an/are accessible toilet(s) for public use.
Location and Access
- This accessible toilet is located to the left of reception.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 6m (6yd 1ft) from the Shopmobility entrance.
- There is step-free access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a shared toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- There is Braille, tactile and pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is heavy.
- The door is locked by a lever twist.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The door has a horizontal grab rail.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 150cm x 205cm (4ft 11in x 6ft 9in).
- The accessible toilet does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm.
- The toilet has a non-slip floor.
- The height of the light switch/pull cord is 90cm from floor level.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is not a spatula type lever flush.
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the toilet.
- Disposal facilities are available in the toilet.
- There is a/are non-infectious waste and open waste paper bin disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- There are coat hooks in the toilet at 105cm and 130cm from the floor.
Position of Fixtures
- There is a/are wall-mounted grab rail(s) available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rail(s) is/are on both sides.
- There is a vertical wall-mounted grab rail on the transfer side.
- There is a horizontal wall-mounted grab rail on the opposite side of the seat to the transfer space.
- There is a mirror.
- The mirror is not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- There is not a shelf next to the toilet.
- The toilet has a backrest and a cistern.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- There are vertical wall-mounted grab rails on both sides of the wash basin.
- The wash basin tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- Taps do not have clear markings to indicate hot and cold settings.
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 110cm.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the hand dryer is 102cm (3ft 4in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are good.
- There is an additional accessible toilet with left hand transfer (shown in photograph 3).
- Autism hours occur on the first Tuesday of every month from 9:30-11:30. Please call in advance for further information.
- For information about Holy Brook Walk (Lower Mall) please click here (opens in new tab)
- For information about the Oracle Town Walk Upper Mall (opens in new tab)
- For information about the Riverside please click here(opens in new tab).