COVID-19 Information (Heriot Watt University)
- Services / facilities within the building include The Postgraduate Centre contains Da Vinci's Cafe, Auditorium and Silent Study Area.
- The venue is situated outside the centre of the city.
- This venue is situated in the Riccarton Campus.
- The nearest National Rail station is Curriehill.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The Riccarton Campus is located on the western edge of Edinburgh.
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- There is/are 1 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 400cm x 550cm (13ft 1in x 18ft 1in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 22m (24yd 2in) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The width of the door opening is 82cm (2ft 8in).
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- There is also a revolving door adjacent at the main entrance..
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The system is a portable loop.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Push pads are located outside each room to provide automatic doors at the entrance to the room.
- There is a social study area on the 4th floor with desks, easy chairs, tables and computer terminals. There is a silent study room off the social study area.
Level Change (Social Study Area)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located in the social study area to access the seating and desk area.
- The ramp/slope is slight.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The ramp does have handrails.
- The handrails are on both sides.
- The width of the ramp/slope is 119cm (3ft 11in).
- There is a second ramp at the far end of the room.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G, 1, 2, 3, 4.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium height (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located on the right as you enter the building.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G, 1, 2, 3, 4.
- The lift is approximately 6m (6yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The clear door width is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 96cm x 150cm (3ft 2in x 4ft 11in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is bright.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 9m (9yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located on the right as you enter.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a shared toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 120cm x 210cm (3ft 11in x 6ft 11in).
- There is a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted grab rails are available for the toilet.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the towel dispenser is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The door is opened and locked using push pads.
- There are similar accessible toilets on each floor.
- There is a similar accessible toilet offering transfer space to the right at the rear of the 1st floor.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located on the right as you enter the building.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 10m (10yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There are standard male and female toilets on each floor.
- There are standard level access shower facilities available.
- The showers are located in the standard ground floor toilets.
- There is not level access to the services from the shower facilities.
- There is a deep step leading into the shower.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.
- SafeZone is a free app based system for students and staff that enhances their personal safety. SafeZone extends the reach of campus safety and security, to cater for the real time needs of the people who use campus every day. It provides a quick and easy way for users to alert SafeGuarding Services, when help or assistance is needed.
- For information about the SafeZone please click here.