- The information in this section was taken in February 2021.
- There are external queuing points.
- The external queuing points are clearly marked/signed.
- There are separate doors for entering and exiting.
- There is a member of staff available at the entrance.
- There is hand sanitiser available at the entrance.
- The hand sanitisers are hand held.
- Hand sanitisers are available inside the venue.
- There is a limited number of people allowed inside.
- There is a Track and Trace system in place.
- There is a one-way system throughout.
- The one-way system is clearly marked/signed.
- There is clear signage inside to help with social distancing.
- Toilets are available.
- The venue is not certified with the 'We’re Good To Go’ COVID-19 industry standard.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- Related linkhttp://www.disabledgo.com/access-guide/hertfordshire-county-council/british-schools-museum---reception-and-infant-school.
- Related linkhttp://www.disabledgo.com/access-guide/hertfordshire-county-council/british-schools-museum---boys-school.
- The Headmaster’s House is set out in late Victorian style and you can feel what domestic life must have been like at that time.
- Monday Closed.
- Tuesday Closed.
- Wednesday Closed.
- Thursday Closed.
- Friday 10:00 - 16:00.
- Saturday 10:00 - 13:00.
- Sunday 14:00 - 17:00.
- Last entry time for the museum is 30 minutes before closing time.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Hitchin.
Parking (Staff and Blue Badge)
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is located at the rear of the venue.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 0 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- There is no visitor parking available at the museum except by prior arrangement for Blue Badge holders.
- There is a pay and display car park about 200m away by St Mary’s Church.
Outside Access (Headmaster's House Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located to the rear of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The door(s) is / are light.
- The width of the door opening is 70cm (2ft 4in).
Level Change (Headmaster's House Entrance)
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located in front of the entrance.
- There is/are 1 step(s) to the area/service.
- There is not tactile paving at the top and bottom of the steps.
- The step(s) is/are not clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are shallow (2cm - 10cm).
- There is not a/are not handrail(s) at the step(s).
- There are also two medium steps immediately beyond the entrance.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- Exhibits cannot be audio described.
- Tactile signage for exhibits is not available.
- Braille signage for exhibits is not available.
- Touch tours are not available.
- Video tours are available.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The hearing system is a fixed loop.
- Staff are trained to use the the hearing system.
- A deposit is not required for the hearing system.
- Concessions are available.
- There is not a wheelchair to borrow.
- The video tour is for the headmaster's house.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1.
- There are 15 steps between floors.
- The steps are not clearly marked.
- The steps are deep (18cm+).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the right going up.
- There is not a landing.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The services / areas on the floors which are not accessible are bedrooms.
- There is not an/are not accessible toilet(s) within this venue designated for public use.
- An ambulant toilet is located in the car park.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- Standard toilets are located in the infants school.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents are not available in Braille.
- Documents are available in large print.
- A bowl of water can be provided for an assistance dog.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.
- This service cannot be requested.