Show Easy Read
Location of Room(s)
- GC/Harris Lecture Theatre is located on the basement level of the Hodgkin Building. Via the platform lifts at the bottom of the accessible entrance lift. The rear of the lecture theatre is located on the ground floor, to the right as you exit the main lift, and the balcony is located in the same place on the first floor.
- To view the AccessAble access guide for Hodgkin Building please click here (new tab).
- Directional and locational signage for the lecture theatre(s) is available in upper and lower case lettering that is clearly visible.
- The corridor outside the lecture theatre(s) is sufficiently wide enough (150cm+) to allow wheelchair users to pass.
- There is step free access into the lecture theatre(s).
- The door opening width(s) is/are 75cm+ for the lecture theatre(s).
- The door(s) for the lecture theatre(s) is/are not push pad activated.
- There are not designated spaces for wheelchair users within the lecture theatre(s).
- There is space for an assistance dog.
- There is step free access to the speaker's area at the front of the lecture theatre(s).
- The lectern is height adjustable.
- The lectern can be adjusted between the recommended heights of 80cm and 110cm (lowest part).
- There is staggered seating within the lecture theatre(s).
- The steps to the staggered seating do not have handrails.
- There is not a hearing assistance system for the lecture theatre(s).
- There is not a visual fire alarm beacon in the lecture theatre(s).
- There is fixed furniture within the lecture theatre(s).
- The clear floor space beneath tables in the lecture theatre(s) ranges between 70cm and 73cm.
- A height adjustable table/bench is not available.
- There is a/are chair(s) with armrests on both sides within the lecture theatre(s).
- The room does have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm.
- Floor coverings in the lecture theatre(s) are even with no trip hazards.
- The front of the lecture theatre is accessed by 2 platform lifts from the basement, overcoming 4 medium, marked steps with a hand rail on the left hand side going up in front of the entrance (as shown in photograph 2), and then 8 deep, marked, steps with a hand rail on the right beyond the entrance (as shown in photograph 3).
Photograph 4 shows the entrance on the ground floor, leading to the rear of the lecture theatre.
All seating is at a height of 46cm.
The front row has armrests on both sides (as shown in photograph 7).
There is a free standing table which can be moved to accommodate a wheelchair user if necessary (as shown in photograph 10).
The table has a clear floor space of 67cm with a surface height of 72cm.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located at the bottom of the stairs leading from the accessible entrance.
- The lift is a platform lift.
- The platform lift accesses a small level change.
- The weight limit for the lift is 225 kg.
- The lift is approximately 1m (3ft 3in) from the accessible entrance lift.
- Staff do need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 80cm x 126cm (2ft 7in x 4ft 2in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does not have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- There is another platform lift, located just inside the entrance to the lecture theatre, 3 metres from the first lift (as shown in photographs 3 and 4).
- This has the dimensions 80 x 101cm, and a weight limit of 225 kg.
- There are telephones, 120cm high, located by both lifts to call for assistance.