- Services / facilities within the building include a museum and cafe.
- The museum is open daily for pre-arranged conducted tours. For more information please contact the museum.
- There is not a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Elephant and Castle.
- The nearest underground station is Kennington or Elephant and Castle.
- Please contact the venue for details of opening times.
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
Venue Car Park
- The car park is located at the side of the venue.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- There is/are 0 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user unaided.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There is a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The road is generally quiet.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is a designated drop off point.
- The drop off point is located at the front of the venue.
- Blue Badge holders can park on the road at the front of the museum.
- There is limited parking available at the museum.
- The museum is within the congestion zone.
- There is free parking available within the surrounding streets at weekends after 18.30.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is level access into the venue.
- The intercom is in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The lighting levels are adjustable.
- Exhibits cannot be audio described.
- Tactile signage for exhibits is not available.
- Braille signage for exhibits is not available.
- Touch tours are not available.
- Video tours are not available.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- Concessions are not available.
- There is not a wheelchair to borrow.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G and 1.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are not clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the right going up.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located at end of the main corridor.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G and 1.
- The lift is approximately 16m (17yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 120cm x 140cm (3ft 11in x 4ft 7in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is bright.
Eating and Drinking (Cafe)
- The following information is for the café.
- The café is located on the first floor.
- Full table service is not available.
- Food or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food or drinks can be brought to the table.
- There is a lowered section at the counter.
- No tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- Some chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is approximately 7m (7yd 1ft) from the lift.
- The standard height for tables is 72cm.
- There is ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- Plastic / takeaway cups are available.
- Plastic / takeaway cutlery is available.
- Drinking straws are available.
- Menus are wall only.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Picture menus are not available.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is hot and cold meals and snacks.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
- The accessible toilet cubicle was being used for storage at the time of the survey.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is Braille signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 23m (25yd 6in) from the main entrance.
- The accessible toilet is located off the main corridor.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a sliding bolt.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The door is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 125cm x 150cm (4ft 1in x 4ft 11in).
- There is not sufficient turning space in the cubicle for a wheelchair user.
- There is not a lateral transfer space.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are open waste paper bin disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on the right.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- There is a dropdown rail to the left as you face the toilet.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located off the main corridor.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 19m (20yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents are not available in Braille.
- Documents are not available in large print.
- A bowl of water can be provided for an assistance dog.
- An assistance dog toilet area can be provided onsite.
- The assistance dog toilet area is located in the car park.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.