Show Easy Read
- Related link Beckton and Royal Docks Children's Centre.
- This centre is used as a satellite facility for the main Beckton and Royal Docks Children's Centre, based at Ellen Wilkinson primary school.
- It is open for activity sessions only.
- Please see the centre website for details of the programme.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Woolwich Arsenal.
- The nearest underground station is Canning Town.
- The nearest DLR station is King George V.
Parking (Staff and Blue Badge Holders)
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is not free for all users.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is located at the rear of the venue, off Rymill Street.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 2 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 360cm x 600cm (11ft 10in x 19ft 8in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 25m (27yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The furthest Blue Badge bay is 30m (32yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are dropped kerbs.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
Drop off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- There are also two on-street Blue Badge bays on Pier Road and un-restricted on-street parking on Rymill Road.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the end of the building nearest the car park, the far end from Pier Road.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 71cm (2ft 4in).
- From Pier Road, the pedestrian route to the building is through the archway from the paved area to the left of the library (photograph 4).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp or slope is located to the right as you face the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The ramp does have handrails.
- The handrails are on both sides.
- The width of the ramp/slope is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does play background music.
- Music is played at various times.
- Motorised scooters are not allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- There is a single, large carpeted playroom available, with one area sectioned off by a low barrier.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is written text signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 30m (32yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located at the rear of the venue, through the main hall.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 76cm (2ft 6in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 145cm x 230cm (4ft 9in x 7ft 7in).
- There is not sufficient turning space in the cubicle for a wheelchair user.
- There is not a lateral transfer space.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is not a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary, clinical waste, waste paper pedal bin and open waste paper bin disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The coat hook is not within 120cm (3ft 11in) from floor level.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is not higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 78cm (2ft 7in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a toilet roll holder.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Baby Change Facilities
- Baby change facilities are located within the venue.
- Baby change facilities are located within the accessible toilet.
- The height of the baby change table once extended is 90cm (2ft 11in).
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A bowl of water can be provided for an assistance dog.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is normally on duty.
- Home visits / services are available.
- Many of the staff have had training in Signalong, which is a sign-supported speech system based on BSL for babies and children with communication difficulties.
- Family support workers are available for home visits.
- There is a children's public playground next to the building.