Getting To The Hospital
- The main hospital site is located in the city centre of Manchester on one of the busiest roads in the region. It can be accessed by car via the M56 and Princess Road or the A34 and Birchfields Road from the south or the M66/M60 and Rochdale Road from the north. The post code for SAT NAV is M13 9WL.
- Parking can be in high demand at the main site so please allow time to find a space when you arrive. Car parking for patients and visitors is largely located in one of the two multi-storey car parks located at either the North East (Grafton Street Multi-storey) or South West (Hathersage Road Multi-storey) of the site. Each of these car parks provide parking for patient, visitor and staff car parking and operates a pay on foot system where customers make their payment for parking on exiting the car park. A very limited amount of parking is available in front of Accident and Emergency which is a pay and display car park There are no parking charges for: Disabled badge holders Relatives of Intensive Care/High Dependency Unit patients Frequent attenders (three or more times a week) Relatives of long stay patients If all disabled spaces are full, disabled badge holders may park in any normal car park space free of charge.
- The main hospital on Oxford Road is very well served by buses. Twenty different routes from across Manchester all stop directly here. This includes the hospitals hybrid bus (the 147) which costs £1.50 for a day ticket and travels from Manchester Piccadilly Train Station via the Universities, stopping on site. The First Bus 18 Service from Langley stops on The Boulevard which is close to all main hospital entrances. There is also a 'Park and Ride' service from which you can take a free shuttle bus to the main hospital site and then walk or catch a 5 minute bus down Oxford Road to the Dental Hospital. The Trafford General Hospital shuttle runs from 10am to 3pm, Monday to Friday. It departs from the main entrance of Trafford General Hospital towards the main hospital site on Oxford Road (and returns) approximately every 30 minutes.
- The closest railway stations are Manchester Oxford Road (MCO), approximately 1 mile away, and Manchester Piccadilly (MAN), approximately 1.5 miles away. Both are a short walk, cycle or bus ride from the main hospital site on Oxford Road.
- The nearest tram stop is at St Peter's Square at the north end of Oxford Road, approximately 1.5 miles away. This is a short walk, cycle or bus ride from the main hospital site on Oxford Road.
- Please see the link below for help with route planning to the hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Transport for Sick Children is a registered charity working throughout Greater Manchester and helping children to reach their hospital appointments.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance (WHSmith)
- Language interpreters cannot be provided on request.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are not available.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not always on duty.
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located directly in front of the main entrances to Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and Saint Mary's Hospital.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 10+ designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 305cm x 600cm.
- There is a 120cm hatched zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located within the car park.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does have tactile paving.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located throughout the car park.
- Payment signs do not make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located throughout the car park.
- There is not a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is not a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are dropped kerbs.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 72m (78yd 2ft) from the Manchester Royal Infirmary Entrance 2.
- The nearest designated bay to Saint Mary's Hospital Main Entrance is 24m.
- The nearest designated bay to Manchester Royal Eye Hospital Main Entrance is 38m.
- There is a maximum 30 minute wait in the drop off zone.
Getting To (WHSmith)
- WHSmith is/are located on the ground floor of Manchester Royal Infirmary.
- Access to WHSmith is via the Manchester Royal Infirmary Entrance 1.
- Enter via the Manchester Royal Infirmary Entrance 1. WHSmith is located to the left immediately beyond the entrance.
- There is step free access to WHSmith.
- WHSmith is approximately 2m from the Manchester Royal Infirmary Entrance 1.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
Outside Access (Manchester Royal Infirmary Entrance 1)
- This information is for the entrance located off Grafton Street.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The width of the door opening is 116cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 1.5cm or below.
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 168cm.
- The ramp/slope is located directly in front of the Manchester Royal Infirmary Entrance 1.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides going up the ramp.
- The first door is an automatic sliding door.
- Monday 07:30 - 19:00.
- Tuesday 07:30 - 19:00.
- Wednesday 07:30 - 19:00.
- Thursday 07:30 - 19:00.
- Friday 07:30 - 19:00.
- Saturday 08:30 - 18:00.
- Sunday 08:30 - 18:00.
- This information is for the entrance located immediately beyond Manchester Royal Infirmary Entrance 1.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There are no doors at this entrance.
- The width of the door opening is 114cm.
- The width between the newspaper stand and the door frame is 114 cm.
- The counter is located on the right as you enter.
- The counter is approximately 1m (3ft 3in) from the WHSmith entrance.
- The counter is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the counter.
- The lighting levels at the counter are medium.
- The height of the counter is high (110cm+).
- There is not sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is not a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is level access once inside.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate and wood.
- There is some flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- Accessible toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest accessible toilet is located within the entrance foyer.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.
- The nearest standard toilets are located within the entrance foyer.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Manchester Royal Infirmary Building link (new tab) - click here.