Show Easy Read
- The hospital is located off the A607 (Thorpe Road) to the east of Melton Mowbray town centre. There are two access roads as you approach from the town but the first one is no longer in use.
- There are 4 onsite car parks for staff and visitors. The main one is located outside the main building. Additional car parks are situated at the side of the main building and at the front of the Physiotherapy/Birth Centre building.
- There are no onsite bus stops. There is a bus stop on the A607 (Thorpe Road) which is 0.2 miles away.
- The nearest train station is Melton Mowbray. The hospital is 0.6 miles from the train station (11 min walk). To walk to the hospital from the station turn left as you exit the station car park into Burton Street and proceed north until you reach the town centre. When the road forks bear right until you reach the High Street and then turn right into Sherrard Street which is the A606. Follow this road until it becomes Thorpe Road (the A607) and the hospital will be on the right hand side.
Opening Times (Visiting Hours)
- Monday 15:00 - 16:00.
- Monday 19:00 - 21:00.
- Tuesday 15:00 - 16:00.
- Tuesday 19:00 - 21:00.
- Wednesday 15:00 - 16:00.
- Wednesday 19:00 - 21:00.
- Thursday 15:00 - 16:00.
- Thursday 19:00 - 21:00.
- Friday 15:00 - 16:00.
- Friday 19:00 - 21:00.
- Saturday 15:00 - 16:00.
- Saturday 19:00 - 21:00.
- Sunday 15:00 - 16:00.
- Sunday 19:00 - 21:00.
Bus Stop(s) and Drop-off Point(s)
- The venue does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located outside the main entrance, to the rear of the hospital site.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 2 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 300cm x 460cm (9ft 10in x 15ft 1in).
- There is not a 1200mm hatched zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There are additional car parks for staff and visitors.
- Additional car parks are located outside the Main Building and the Physiotherapy Department.
- There are not parking charges for the car park.
Access from the Car Park
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The surface on the approach to the entrance is tarmac.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 13m (14yd 8in) from the main entrance.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The main automatic door(s) is/are push pad or push button activated.
- The push pad or push button is 100cm from floor level.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 112cm.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The gradient of the ramp/slope is slight.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- The reception point is located immediately beyond the entrance.
- The reception point is approximately 1m (3ft 3in) from the main entrance.
- The reception area/desk is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the reception point, via lift.
- There is a clear unobstructed route to the reception point.
- There are not windows, glazed screens or mirrors behind the reception point which could adversely affect the ability of someone to lip read.
- The reception counter is not placed in front of a background which is patterned.
- The lighting levels at the reception point are good.
- The height of the reception counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is not sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is not a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- The counter is not staffed.
- There is a bell to attract attention.
- The bell is at a suitable height for a wheelchair user.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
Getting Around The Building
- There is step free access throughout the building.
- There are not doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet and vinyl.
- Handrails with a rounded or oval profile are not provided in corridors.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in all corridors.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- Lighting levels of at least 100 lux at floor level, were recorded in all corridors surveyed.
- Wayfinding signage is not provided.
- There is not a designated place of safety which can be used by people with dementia, autism or learning disabilities.
- This venue does play background music in public areas.
- Music is played in the waiting area.
- There is not a hearing assistance system in the public areas of the building.
- There is a/are waiting area(s) along the circulation route(s).
- There are seats with armrests on both sides.
- There is not sufficient space for a wheelchair user to use the waiting area(s).
- There is not a/are not flashing fire alarm beacon(s) within the waiting area(s).
Other Floors (Staff)
- Signs indicating the location of the stairs are not clearly visible from the entrance.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is not between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is not between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the left going up.
- Handrails are not at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor of the building are not provided on landings.
- The lighting levels are good.
- There is not a lift for public use.
- The lift is located off the reception area.
- The lift is approximately 7m (7yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- Staff do need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are not provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do not contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- Lighting levels are at least 100 lux at floor level in the lift lobby.
- The external controls for the lift are within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is good.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is poor.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 128cm x 210cm (4ft 2in x 6ft 11in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is not a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- There is not a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is good.
- There is not an/are not accessible toilet(s) within this venue designated for public use.
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.