COVID-19 Information (NHS Property Services)
- The hospital is located off the A607 (Thorpe Road) to the east of Melton Mowbray town centre. There are two access roads as you approach from the town but the first one is no longer in use.
- There are 4 onsite car parks for staff and visitors. The main one is located outside the main building. Additional car parks are situated at the side of the main building and at the front of the Physiotherapy/Birth Centre building.
- There are no onsite bus stops. There is a bus stop on the A607 (Thorpe Road) which is 0.2 miles away.
- The nearest train station is Melton Mowbray. The hospital is 0.6 miles from the train station (11 min walk). To walk to the hospital from the station turn left as you exit the station car park into Burton Street and proceed north until you reach the town centre. When the road forks bear right until you reach the High Street and then turn right into Sherrard Street which is the A606. Follow this road until it becomes Thorpe Road (the A607) and the hospital will be on the right hand side.
- Access is by appointment only.
Bus Stop(s) and Drop-off Point(s)
- The venue does not have a dedicated car park.
- The nearest car park is located outside the Birth Centre. There are 2 marked Blue Badge bays in that car park. The bays are approximately 75 metres from the Children's Community House. Assistance for some wheelchair users may be required as there are some uneven surfaces along the route.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the side of the building.
- The entrance area/door is not clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The door(s) is/are permanently held open.
- The width of the door opening is 84cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 103cm.
- The ramp/slope is located leading up to the entrance.
- The gradient of the ramp/slope is slight.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the ramp.
- The handrail(s) is/are on the left going up.
Getting Around The Building
- There is not step free access throughout the building.
- There are doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- Wayfinding signage is not provided.
- There is not a designated place of safety which can be used by people with dementia, autism or learning disabilities.
- This venue does not play background music in public areas.
- There is not a hearing assistance system in the public areas of the building.
- There is a/are waiting area(s) along the circulation route(s).
- The seats do not have armrests.
- There is not sufficient space for a wheelchair user to use the waiting area(s).
- There is not a/are not flashing fire alarm beacon(s) within the waiting area(s).
- Signs indicating the location of the stairs are not clearly visible from the entrance.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is not between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is not between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps do not have handrails.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor of the building are not provided on landings.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- There is an/are accessible toilet(s) within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- This accessible toilet is located immediately beyond the entrance, to the left.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 1m (3ft 3in) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a shared toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The door is heavy.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 148cm x 167cm (4ft 10in x 5ft 6in).
- The accessible toilet does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm.
- The toilet has a non-slip floor.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- There is no dropdown rail.
- There is a vertical wall-mounted grab rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is not a spatula type lever flush.
- The height of the light switch/pull cord is 132cm from floor level.
- There is not an emergency alarm.
- Disposal facilities are available in the toilet.
- There is a/are non-infectious waste and general domestic waste disposal units.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the toilet.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- There is a/are wall-mounted grab rail(s) available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rail(s) is/are on both sides.
- There are no vertical wall-mounted grab rails at the wash basin.
- There is a horizontal wall-mounted grab rail on the opposite side of the seat to the transfer space.
- There is not a colostomy changing shelf for standing users next to the toilet.
- There is not a standard shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- The mirror is not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The toilet has a cistern.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 43cm (1ft 5in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 104cm (3ft 5in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The tap type is twist/turn.
- There is not a mixer tap.
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 102cm.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the towel dispenser is 108cm (3ft 7in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are low to moderate.
- Lighting levels are not at least 100 lux at floor level.
Baby Changing Facilities
- Baby changing facilities are located within the accessible toilet.
- The baby change table is not set against the wall, permanently fixed at 75cm from the floor.
- The baby change table is not height adjustable.
- The height of the baby change table once extended is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.