Show Easy Read
- This is a route from the Rolle Building to Portland Square.
- The route to the main entrance is approximately 280m long.
- It takes approximately 5 minutes to complete the route.
- The route is pedestrianised throughout its length.
- The pedestrianised surface is mainly block paved with a short tarmac section.
- All the buildings are clearly named and there are some wall and finger signs.
- A large marquee is often sited on the Piazza.
- There is signage on the barriers around the marquee showing the alternative access.
- For more information about the Temporary Marquee on the Piazza please click here (opens in new tab).
- Throughout the campus, University vehicles may use the pedestrian areas.
- They are restricted to 5mph and the pedestrians have right of way.
- The campus is situated on a hillside and there are sections of the route with moderately steep gradients.
Rolle Building Temporary Main Entrance via James Street to Mary Newman Hall
- Exit the Rolle Building temporary main entrance, shown in photograph 1, and turn left along James Street, shown in photograph 2.
- This pavement has an even tarmac surface and is on a steep gradient.
- Turn left once you have passed the Rolle Building and cross the pedestrian area in front of the building, shown in photograph 3.
- There is a set of steps on the left of the area with corduroy tactile paving at the bottom.
- Continue along the front of the Rolle Building to the Piazza.
- At the time of survey there was a large marquee in the Piazza.
- This marquee is shown in photograph 4.
- Continue straight on reaching the Piazza along the side of the Brunel Building.
- There is a step with corduroy tactile paving along the left of the path.
- There is a series of lamp posts and a bin along the path which narrow the path to 105cm.
- This area is shown in photographs 5 and 6.
- On reaching the end of the marquee and the row of low level planters, shown in photograph 7, turn left.
- Proceed up between the Fitzroy Building and Marquee.
- There is a set of steps on the right with a line of corduroy tactile paving at the bottom, as shown in photograph 8.
- At the end of the marquee turn right around the Fitzroy Building and head across the front of the Fitzroy Building, shown in photographs 10 and 11.
- There is a lamp post on the corner of the path as shown in photograph 9.
- Continue straight past the end of the Fitzroy Building and between the Mary Newman Hall and Immersive Vision (IV) Theatre.
- There is a low-level planter between the two buildings which is 58cm high and leaves 155cm of clear path on each side. This area is shown in photograph 12.
Mary Newman Hall to Portland Square
- At the end of the Mary Newman Building proceed across the sloping path to the North Core Entrance to Portland Square, shown in photograph 1.
- Note that there is an unmarked, dished gutter which runs the length of the slope, shown in photograph 2.
- Turn right, across the gutter, and go down the slope for 40m, this area is shown in photographs 3, 4 and 5.
- Turn left at the corner of the building and continue ahead, avoiding the bike racks to your left, as shown in photograph 6.
- At the front of Portland Square there is an easy ramp up to the main entrance level shown in photograph 7.
- It has a handrail to the right and the surface is even slabs.
- At the top of the ramp turn left to the main entrance shown in photograph 8.