Show Easy Read
- Services / facilities within the building include the Film Studio.
- Related link Queen's Film Theatre.
- Related link 21 University Square.
- The film studio is located to the rear of 21 University Street.
- University Square is located in the main University Area.
- There are nearby car parks which are available to permit holders.
- The nearby bus stop on College Green Serves Routes 7a, 7b, 7c, 7d, 29, 29c, 652. While the Queen's University Bus station on University Road serves routes 8a 8b, 8c, 8d, 13, 22, 93, 209, 238, 251u, 261, 273, 522, 524, 524a.
- Botanic Train Station is located just to the north of the main university area, approximately 0.3 miles from University Square.
- For more information about getting to the university, please see the Getting Here page on the university website.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Please see the Translink website for details on public transport in Northern Ireland.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- To see more information on Disability Services please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 028 9097 5251.
- Email: [email protected]
- The Disability Services offers support in a wide range of issues, as well as offering help in obtaining the DSA (Disabled Students Allowance).
- To see more information on Asperger’s Social and Support Group at Queen’s please click here (opens new tab).
- The group meets at least once a month during term-time, usually in the Student Guidance Centre. It allows students to develop friendships, discuss any difficulties which they may experience at university and receive support both from their peers and the group facilitators (two Disability Officers). The group meets in a safe, secure environment where members feel comfortable and accepted. Group activities vary and depend on members’ interests, e.g. watching a film, visiting the Ulster Museum and the Linen Hall Library, going out for lunch, as well as workshops on healthy eating and stress management.
- To see more information on University Health Service please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 028 90 664634.
- Students are entitled to medical services at the University Health Centre.
- To see more information on Disability Research Network please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 028 9097 5117.
- Email: [email protected]
- The Disability Research Network is a new multi-disciplinary initiative aimed at enhancing collaboration between academics, policymakers, practitioners and community and voluntary sector organisations with an interest in disability studies and research. It provides a unique opportunity for members to share knowledge and disseminate the growing body of disability research being carried out in Northern Ireland, stimulate debate about disability issues and develop collaborative partnerships for future disability research and further development of disability policy and practice.
Site/Campus Car Park (Botanic Gardens Car Park)
- The car park is located on Botanic Gardens.
- The nearest building(s) to this car park is/are the Administration Building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- Designated Blue Badge parking bays are available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 6 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within this car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 390cm x 430cm (12ft 10in x 14ft 1in).
- The dimensions of the designated bays do vary in size.
Charges and Restrictions
- This car park can be used by staff, visitors and Blue Badge holders.
- There are no parking charges that apply on the day.
- Signs are not provided to give information on parking charges/restrictions.
Drop Off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point in this car park.
Car Park Access
- There is sloped access to the car park from the Administration Building.
- This car park is not clearly signposted from the Administration Building.
- The nearest designated bay is 15m (16yd 1ft) from the Library Building.
- Taxis are permitted to enter the car park for drop-off only.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located to the rear of 20, 21 and 22 University Square.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is/are push pad activated when entering.
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The width of the door opening is 95cm (3ft 1in).
- There is a ramp/slope at this entrance.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- The ramp is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp.
- The ramp does have handrails.
- The handrails are on the right going up.
- The width of the ramp is 142cm (4ft 8in).
- There is step free access throughout the building.
- There are doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- There is clear signage for building facilities/areas in the foyer/reception area.
- There is no directional signage at key points of circulation routes.
- There is flooring in corridors which includes patterns or colours which could be confusing or look like steps or holes to some people.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in all areas.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- This building does not play background music.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- Directional and locational signage for the room(s) is available in upper and lower case lettering that is clearly visible.
- The corridor outside the room(s) is sufficiently wide enough (150cm+) to allow wheelchair users to pass.
- There is step free access into the room(s).
- The door opening width(s) is/are 75cm+ for the room(s).
- The door(s) for the room(s) is/are push pad activated.
- There is step free access to the speaker's area at the front.
- The height of the speaker's desk/table is 70cm.
- The speaker's desk/table is height adjustable.
- The height of the lectern is 70cm.
- There is not a hearing assistance system for the room(s).
- There is a visual fire alarm beacon in the room(s).
- There is not fixed furniture within the room(s).
- There is sufficient space for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre within the room(s).
- The clear floor space beneath tables in the room(s) is 70cm.
- A height adjustable table/bench is not available.
- There is a/are chair(s) with armrests on both sides within the room(s).
- Floor coverings in the room(s) are even with no trip hazards.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located along the corridor in front of you on entrance.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens inwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 87cm (2ft 10in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 285cm x 206cm (9ft 4in x 6ft 9in).
- There is not a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 92cm (3ft).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are not available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The coat hook is not within 120cm (3ft 11in) from floor level.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Accessible Changing Room
- There is an/are accessible changing room(s) available.
- The accessible changing room(s) surveyed is/are located along the corridor in front of you on entrance.
- The accessible changing room(s) is/are approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The accessible changing room(s) is/are approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the Film Studio.
- The dimensions of the accessible changing room(s) are 285cm x 206cm (9ft 4in x 6ft 9in).
- The fixtures/facilities available in the accessible changing room(s) include; a changing table/bench, a toilet and a wash basin.
- There is level access to the accessible changing room(s).
- The accessible toilet / changing room is designated as being for all building users. There are no standard toilets in this building.