COVID-19 Information (Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospitals NHS Trust Covid-19 Information)
- The information in this section was taken in January 2021.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- Main Hospital Side Entrance is located at the side of the hospital building.
- The venue is situated outside the centre of the city.
- This venue is situated in Birmingham.
- The venue is not situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest mainline station is Jewellery Quarter.
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is not free for all users.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is at the front of the venue.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There are 8 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 238cm x 500cm (7ft 10in x 16ft 5in).
- The nearest designated bay is 60m (66yd) from the Main Hospital Side Entrance.
- The furthest designated bay is 75m (82yd) from the Main Hospital Side Entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are uneven surfaces.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Side Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the side of the hospital.
- There is level access into the venue.
- The main doors open automatically.
- The doors are single width.
- The door opening is 100cm (3ft 3in) wide.
- This entrance is swipe card entry 19:30 - 06:30.
- There is level access to the service.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The hearing system is available only on request.
- The system is a portable loop.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Route finding signage is available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is non slip.
- Lighting levels are varied.
- There is fixed seating throughout the main spinal corridor.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1-2.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting level is medium.
- The lift is located off the main spinal corridor.
- The lift is 6m (6yd 1ft) from the side entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1-2.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 150cm x 250cm (4ft 11in x 8ft 2in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 120cm from the floor.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does not have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The accessible toilet is located on the second floor of the main spinal corridor.
- The accessible toilet is 8m (26ft 3in) from the lift 8.
- There is level access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is not a unisex toilet.
- This is a male only toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a sliding bolt.
- The door is light.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 87cm (2ft 10in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 150cm x 188cm (4ft 11in x 6ft 2in).
- Floor manoeuvring space is not clear in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is not a mixer tap.
- There is not a functional emergency alarm available.
- It is out of reach (higher than 10cm (0ft 4in) from floor).
- Disposal facilities are not available in the cubicle.
- There is not a coat hook.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There are mirrors in the accessible toilet.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 41cm (1ft 4in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The towel dispenser is 140cm (4ft 7in) high.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a sink.
- The sink can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The sink is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the drop down rails and wall is good.
- The contrast between the grab rails and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- There is an identical female toilet on the first floor main spinal corridor.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilets are located off the main spinal corridor.
- The female and male toilets are 30m (33yd) from the side entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilet.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Additional Info Health
- Disability awareness / equality training can be provided for hospital staff.
- The most commonly produced documents could be provided in other formats.
- Documents in Braille, large print, audio and different languages format can be requested.
- Assistance dogs are allowed in most areas of the hospital.
- Areas with a high risk from infection, such as intensive care and wards should be contacted in advance before accessing with assistance dogs.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.
- Switchboard staff are Text Relay aware.
- Help with luggage is generally available for inpatients.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, ceiling tracking hoists, wheelchairs, tri wheel walkers, shower chairs, commodes, walking sticks, walking frames, hoist slings, adjustable beds and crutches.
- Portable hearing loops can be provided on request.