Getting To The Hospital
- The main hospital entrance to the Northern General Hospital is located off Barnsley Road, with another entrance off Herries Road. If you are using a sat nav to find the hospital please use the postcode S5 7AT or postcode S5 7AU.
- The Blue Badge parking areas and the standard parking are located off Barnsley Road and Herries Road.
- There are two bus routes within the northern general hospital. Buses 32 and H1. Bus 32 stops located within the Northern General Hospital are Herries Road, Outpatients 2, Estates Department, Clock Tower and Brearley Wing. H1 bus stops at the Clock Tower.
- This link provides detailed information on the different methods of transport to the hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 0114 271 2400.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are not volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request and large print on request.
- There is an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- The assistance dog toilet or toileting area is located on the wooded area of Barnsley Road Drive.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs, walking frames, mobile hoists, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- Additional hospital services link (new tab) - click here.
Hospital Parking (Brearley Wing)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located at the rear of the Brearley Wing.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) markings are faded.
- There is/are 6 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located outside the entrance.
- There is not a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs do make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located at the side of the car park.
- There is a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is not a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are uneven surfaces.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The route from the car park to the hospital entrance is not clearly signposted.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 26m (28yd 1ft) from the Brearley Wing entrance.
- This information is for the entrance located at the rear of the building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 156cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is level access once inside.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Wayfinding signage is available.
- Dementia friendly signage is not provided.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate.
- There is flooring in corridors with a very shiny finish which could cause issues with glare or be perceived as slippery.
- There is some flooring in corridors with large, repeating patterns that incorporate bold contrasting colours or simulate steps.
- The lighting levels are varied.
Counter (Snack Bar)
- The Snack Bar is located on Level C of the Brearley Wing.
- The counter is approximately 9m (9yd 2ft) from the lifts.
- Clear signage for the counter is not visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the counter, via lift.
- The lighting levels at the counter are medium.
- The height of the counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the counter.
- There is a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the low section of the counter.
- There is not a clear knee recess beneath the low section of the counter.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are B, C, D.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located on the ground floor of the Brearley Wing.
- The lift is approximately 14m (15yd 11in) from the Brearley Wing entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are A, B, C.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 133cm (4ft 4in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 146cm x 154cm (4ft 9in x 5ft 1in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is low.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Shared Toilet(s)
- The shared toilets that were surveyed are located on Level C.
- The shared toilet(s) is/are approximately 11m (12yd 1in) from the lifts.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the shared toilet(s).
- This is by lift.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is not available.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Related Access Guides
- To view other access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Huntsman Building link (new tab) - click here.