Show Easy Read
Getting To The Hospital
- The main hospital entrance to the Northern General Hospital is located off Herries Road. If you are using a sat nav to find the hospital please use the postcode S5 7AT.
- The Blue Badge parking areas and the standard parking are located off Herries Road.
- There are two bus routes within the northern general hospital. Buses 32 and H1. Bus 32 stops located within the Northern General Hospital are Herries Road, Outpatients 2, Estates Department, Clock Tower and Brearley Wing. H1 bus stops at the Clock Tower.
- This link provides detailed information on the different methods of transport to the hospital.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 0114 271 2400.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are not volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request and large print on request.
- There is an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- The assistance dog toilet or toileting area is located on the wooded area of Barnsley Road Drive.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs, walking frames, mobile hoists, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- Additional hospital services link (new tab) - click here.
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located at the side of the hospital.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located outside the Huntsman Building main entrance.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located at the payment machines in the car park.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located throughout the car park.
- There is a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is not a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are dropped kerbs.
- The hospital entrance is not clearly visible from the car park.
- The route from the car park to the hospital entrance is clearly signposted.
Outside Access (Vickers Courtyard Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the side of the building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 145cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 142cm.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is moderate.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are D, E, F.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the right going up.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are low.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located on the Vickers Corridor.
- The lift is approximately 94m (102yd 2ft) from the Vickers Courtyard entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are D, E, F.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 126cm (4ft 2in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 131cm x 269cm (4ft 4in x 8ft 10in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is low.
Getting To (The Chapel)
- The Chapel is/are located on Level E of the Vickers Building.
- To see the hospital map please click here (opens new tab).
- Access to the Chapel is via the Vickers Courtyard entrance.
- After entering the Vickers Courtyard corridor entrance, turn left through the double doors. Continue along the corridor to the sign for Renal Wards on the left, proceed through the entrance and take the lifts to Level E. On exiting turn right out of the lift lobby, turn left along the corridor and the Chapel is on the right.
- There is step free access, via lift, to the chapel.
- The Chapel is approximately 85m from the lifts.
- There is a/are manual, heavy, double door(s) between the Vickers Courtyard entrance and the department/service.
- Wayfinding signage is provided.
- There is some flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- There is some flooring in corridors which includes patterns or colours which could be confusing or look like steps or holes to some people.
- This service is open 24 hours.
- This information is for the entrance located on the Vickers Corridor Level D.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is/are single width.
- The door(s) is/are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 85cm.
- There is level access once inside.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- There are chairs within the Chapel.
- The chairs do not have armrests.
- There is room for a wheelchair to manoeuvre.
- Chairs are not fixed.
- Tables are not fixed.
- There is a shallow step up to the alter.
- The nearest Accessible toilet is located next to the Deli Bar on Level E.
- The nearest standard toilets are located next to the Deli Bar on Level E.