Show Easy Read
Getting To The Hospital
- The hospital is on Glossop Road (B6069). If you are using SatNav the postcode for the hospital is S10 2JF.
- Please be aware that Parking Charge Notices are in operation within the hospital grounds. This is to ensure that ambulances and other emergency services have free access to the hospital at all times. To avoid being issued with a Parking Charge Notice please make sure that your car is parked in a designated parking space. Parking is limited, so the hospital recommends using public transport if at all possible.
- Travel South Yorkshire has created a helpful guide to getting the bus to the Royal Hallamshire and the central campus. A link to the relevant page has been provided in useful links 2 located below.
- Supertram does not serve the Northern General Hospital. It can be used to reach the Royal Hallamshire, Jessop Wing, Charles Clifford and Weston Park Hospitals, although please be aware that there is still a 10-15 minute uphill walk from the nearest stop (University). It is recommended that anyone who experiences difficulty walking long distances choose some alternative means of travelling to the hospital.
- Bus Routes.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located in the foyer on Level B of the Royal Hallamshire Hospital.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 0114 271 2400.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers can be found at the main entrance.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- The alternative formats documents can be provided in include; Braille on request and large print on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are not available.
- BSL interpreters can be provided on request.
- Language interpreters can be provided on request.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs, walking sticks, mobile hoists, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- Additional hospital services link (new tab) - click here.
Hospital Parking (Multi-storey Car Park)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located in front of the Outpatients Department on Service Road A.
- The car park type is multi storey.
- The car park does have a height restriction barrier.
- The maximum height is 193cm (6ft 4in).
- The car park does have a barrier control system.
- The barrier controls/touchscreen can be reached from the car.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 10+ designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 390cm x 550cm (12ft 10in x 18ft 1in).
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located to the right of the main Outpatients entrance on Service Road A.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located at the payment machines in the car park.
- Payment signs do not make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located close to the Blue Badge parking bays and at the front of the car park.
- There is not a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are slopes/ramps.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 108m (118yd 4in) from the main Outpatients entrance.
Outside Access (Main Outpatients Entrance 2)
- This information is for the entrance located on Service Road A.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does/do contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 175cm.
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The automatic door(s) is/are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 165cm.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- There is also a revolving door entrance.
Getting To (The Royal Voluntary Service Cafe)
- The Royal Voluntary Service Cafe is/are located next to the Main Outpatients reception.
- To see the hospital map please click here (opens new tab).
- Access to the Royal Voluntary Service Cafe is via the main Outpatients entrance.
- After entering the main Outpatients entrance, the Cafe is located to the right.
- There is step free access to the Royal Voluntary Service Cafe.
- The Royal Voluntary Service Cafe is approximately 25m from the entrance.
- Wayfinding signage is not provided.
- There is some flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- There is some flooring in corridors which includes patterns or colours which could be confusing or look like steps or holes to some people.
- Monday 09:00 - 16:00.
- Tuesday 09:00 - 16:00.
- Wednesday 09:00 - 16:00.
- Thursday 09:00 - 16:00.
- Friday 09:00 - 16:00.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the Cafe.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed with the name of the service/department.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There are no doors at this entrance.
- The width of the door opening is 180cm.
- The counter is located at the rear of the Cafe.
- The counter is approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the Cafe entrance.
- The counter is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the counter.
- The lighting levels at the counter are bright.
- The height of the counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is not a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- The counter is staffed.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is level access once inside.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate.
- There is some flooring in corridors with a very shiny finish which could cause issues with glare or be perceived as slippery.
- There is some flooring in corridors with large, repeating patterns that incorporate bold contrasting colours or simulate steps.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Eating and Drinking
- The following information is for the cafe.
- Full table service is not available.
- Food or drinks are ordered from the service counter.
- Food or drinks can be brought to the table.
- There is not a lowered section at the counter.
- No tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- Some chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is approximately 1m (3ft 3in) from the Cafe entrance.
- The standard height for tables is 71cm.
- Plastic / takeaway cups are available.
- Plastic / takeaway cutlery is available.
- Drinking straws are available.
- There is not ample room for a wheelchair user to manoeuvre.
- Menus are wall only.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Picture menus are not available.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is hot and cold drinks and snacks.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are not available.