- Services / facilities within the building include the national anxiety disorders residential unit.
Getting Here (Bethlem Royal Hospital)
- Bethlem Royal Hospital is located to the South of Beckenham just off the A232 (Wickham Road). The hospital site can be accessed from the west and Croydon via the A23 and A232 and from the East and M25 via the A21 and A232.
- The Hospital has areas of parking located outside all services. Please see specific service guides for more detailed information.
- The nearest bus stop is Bethlem Royal Hospital located on Monks Orchard Road and approximately 160 metres from the main hospital entrance. The number 356 service stops here.
- The nearest train station is Eden Park which is approximately 0.7 miles away (2 min drive). The station is accessed via Monks Orchard Road and Upper Elmers End Road.
- The following link is for Traveline Journey Planner.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- The venue is open 24hrs.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Eden Park.
- Click here for access information of the overall hospital grounds.
- Click here for details of the parking available within the hospital
- The bus stop on Monks Orchard Road is within 150m of the main entrance gate and the main reception.
- The other buildings are spread across a very large site, up to 800m from the main entrance gates.
Parking (Dower House)
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 1 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 360cm x 508cm (11ft 10in x 16ft 8in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 14m (15yd 11in) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are uneven surfaces.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- There is an intercom at this entrance.
- The intercom is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is / are double (with one leaf locked).
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 67cm (2ft 2in).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located in front of the entrance.
- There is/are 1 step(s) to the area/service.
- There is not tactile paving at the top and bottom of the step(s).
- The step(s) is/are not clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are medium height (11cm - 17cm).
- There is not a/are not handrail(s) at the step(s).
- There is level access to the service.
- This venue does play background music.
- Music is played in some parts of the venue.
- Route finding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is non slip and wood.
- Lighting levels are varied.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1.
- The stairs are located straight ahead as you enter.
- The stairs are approximately 4m from the main entrance.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are deep (18cm+).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on the right going up.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are low.
- The area(s)/service(s) on the floors which are not accessible is/are accommodation rooms.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
- The nearest accessible toilets are located in the Bethlem Museum of the Mind or the Community Centre, both over 200m away.
- Please see the Bethlem Museum of the Mind or the Community Centre guides for further details.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located ahead as you enter.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 4m (4yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is not available.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is normally on duty.
- Staff are trained to BSL level (unknown at time of research).
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, wheelchairs, shower chairs, commodes, walking sticks, walking frames, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact reception.
- Hearing Loops are available on request.
- Interpreters are available on request.
- There are a number of policies specifically relating to safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children, as well as infection control policies.
- Please contact the health and safety clinical advisors for further information on the hospital.
- There is a cashpoint on-site.