- Access is by appointment only.
Getting Here (Bethlem Royal Hospital)
- Bethlem Royal Hospital is located to the South of Beckenham just off the A232 (Wickham Road). The hospital site can be accessed from the west and Croydon via the A23 and A232 and from the East and M25 via the A21 and A232.
- The Hospital has areas of parking located outside all services. Please see specific service guides for more detailed information.
- The nearest bus stop is Bethlem Royal Hospital located on Monks Orchard Road and approximately 160 metres from the main hospital entrance. The number 356 service stops here.
- The nearest train station is Eden Park which is approximately 0.7 miles away (2 min drive). The station is accessed via Monks Orchard Road and Upper Elmers End Road.
- The following link is for Traveline Journey Planner.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Eden Park.
- Click here for access information of the overall hospital grounds.
- Click here for details of the parking available within the hospital
- The bus stop on Monks Orchard Road is within 150m of the main entrance gate and the main reception.
- The other buildings are spread across a very large site, up to 800m from the main entrance gates.
Parking (Tyson House)
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
- The car park is located in front of the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 4 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 375cm x 500cm (12ft 4in x 16ft 5in).
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 64m (69yd 2ft) from the Tyson House East main entrance.
- The furthest Blue Badge bay is 130m (142yd 6in) from the Tyson House East main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are uneven surfaces.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- The nearest designated bay to Occupational Therapy is 124m.
- The nearest designated bay to The Bethlem & Maudsley Hospital School is 180m.
- The nearest designated bay to Bishopsgate is 10m.
- The nearest designated bay to the Gym is 75m.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) away from you (push).
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 71cm (2ft 4in).
- A key is required for entry to the Gym. Please contact estates & facilities for this.
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located leading to the steps.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The width of the ramp/slope is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- The ramp/slope does not bypass the step(s).
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located to the left of the entrance.
- There is/are 5 step(s) to the area/service.
- There is not tactile paving at the top and bottom of the step(s).
- The step(s) is/are not clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are medium height (11cm - 17cm).
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on the right going up.
- The sloping path has an uneven surface.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- This venue does not play background music.
- Wayfinding signage is not available.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is vinyl/laminate and wood.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There are not accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
- The nearest accessible toilets are located in Bishopsgate on the ground floor, over 50m away.
- The nearest public accessible toilet is in the Community Centre, over 100m away.
- Please see the Bishopsgate and Community Centre guides for further details.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female Toilet(s)
- The female toilet facilities that were surveyed are located within the female changing room.
- The female toilet(s) is/are approximately 28m (30yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female toilet(s).
- Lighting levels are medium.
Access to Standard Male Toilet(s)
- The male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located within the male changing room.
- The male toilet(s) is/are approximately 28m (30yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the male toilet(s).
- Lighting levels are medium.
Standard Changing Room
- The standard changing rooms are located to the rear of the gym.
- The standard changing room is 28m (30yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is normally on duty.
- Staff are trained to BSL level (unknown at time of research).
- There are mobility aids available.
- The mobility aids available include mobile hoists, wheelchairs, shower chairs, commodes, walking sticks, walking frames, hoist slings and adjustable beds.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact reception.
- Hearing Loops are available on request.
- Interpreters are available on request.
- There are a number of policies specifically relating to safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children, as well as infection control policies.
- Please contact the health and safety clinical advisors for further information on the hospital.
- There is a cashpoint on-site.