- The information in this section was taken in March 2021.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- The nearest National Rail station is Sunderland.
- The nearest Metro Station is Park Lane.
- The venue is open 24hrs.
- The venue does not have its own car park.
Public Car Parks
- There is a car park for public use within 200m (approx).
- The name of the car park is Civic Centre.
- The car park is located off Park Lane, at the junction with Cowan Terrace and Park Lane.
On Street Blue Badge Parking
- On street marked Blue Badge bays are not available.
On Street Standard Parking
- Clearly signed and / or standard marked parking bays are not available.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Cowan Terrace Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located in Cowan Terrace, near to the junction with Park Lane.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- There are no doors at this entrance.
- The width of the entrance is 250cm.
Level Change (Cowan Terrace Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located on the approach to the entrance and immediately beyond.
- The ramp/slope is moderate.
- The ramp does have handrails.
- The handrails are on the right going up.
Park Lane Entrance
- The Park Lane entrance is located in Park Lane opposite Sunderland College.
- The entrance is open and leads from the City Centre and also from Park Lane.
Stockton Road Entrance
- The Stockton Road entrance is located in Stockton Road and next to Grange Terrace (A1231).
- There is a pathway either side of a bus only access road to enter the bus station.
- The path to the left is 200cm in width and the path to the right over 400cm in width.
- Both pathways lead into the bus station.
Reception (Travel Centre)
- The desk/counter is 28m (30yd 1ft) from the Park Lane entrance.
- There is level access to the desk/counter from the entrance.
- The desk/counter is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- The desk/counter does not have a low (76cm or lower) section.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The type of system is a fixed loop.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- There is a single automatic door to enter the travel centre, which is 150cm in width as shown in photograph 3.
- There is an easy slope in front of the entrance, with a barrier on both sides that can act as a handrail as shown in photograph 4.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The lighting levels are varied.
National Express Waiting Room
- The National Express waiting room is located next to stands W, X and V where the coaches usually depart and is also close to the Cowan Terrace entrance.
- There is a single automatic sliding door to enter the room, which is 150cm in width.
- There are numerous seats without armrests available in the waiting room.
- There are no notification screens or audio announcements in the waiting room but the bus stands are visible.
- The station is staffed.
- There are generally 2 member(s) of staff on duty.
- The station is not staffed between 00:01 and 06:00.
- There is not an office to obtain help (other than the ticket office).
- There is a ticket office / travel centre.
- The ticket office / travel centre is located opposite bus stop P.
- The ticket office / travel centre is 28m (30yd 1ft) from the Park Lane entrance.
- There are 22 stands / bays.
- The stands which have level access are all stands.
- Announcements are visual.
- The bus companies operating within this station are Go North East and National Express.
- There is a taxi rank at the station.
- The taxi rank is located outside the Park Lane entrance.
- The taxi rank is 14m (15yd 11in) from the Park Lane entrance.
- There is not a wheelchair for patrons to borrow.
- National Express coaches normally operate from stands W, X & V which are close to the Cowan Terrace entrance and the Metro Station.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial, written text and tactile signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 32m (34yd 2ft) from the Park Lane entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located opposite bus stand P.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is required for the accessible toilet.
- The key is a radar key.
- The key can be obtained from the travel centre.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 180cm x 180cm (5ft 11in x 5ft 11in).
- There is not sufficient turning space in the cubicle for a wheelchair user.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush, however it is not on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- There is a push button alarm in this cubicle.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are sanitary, general domestic waste and clinical waste disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the hand dryer is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 105cm (3ft 5in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located opposite bus stand Q.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 34m (37yd 7in) from the Park Lane entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are low.
- The lighting in the main standard toilets emits a blue coloured light which creates a low light level throughout.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A bowl of water can be provided for an assistance dog.
Related Access Guides
- To view other DisabledGo access guides that are related to this one please use the links below.
- Park Lane Interchange - Metro Station link (new tab) - click here.