- The information in this section was taken in November 2020.
- There have been no changes to the venue's parking or entrances/exits as a result of COVID-19.
- Hand sanitisers are available at all main entrances to buildings, car parks and wards/departments.
- There is currently a restricted number of visitors allowed and some one way systems in place.
- There is a reduction in the number of seats in waiting areas to achieve required social distancing.
- Wall signage has been installed advising of social distancing and floor markings are in place advising where to stand when required to queue.
- Protective screens are located at reception desks.
- It is advised to keep left on stairwells.
- Lifts are limited to two people at a time.
- There have been no changes to the toilet facilities.
- Users must comply with social distancing requirements and wear masks/facial coverings where required to do so.
- Volunteers are available for help.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
Getting To The Hospital
- The main hospital entrance to the Royal Victoria Infirmary is located off Queen Victoria Road. The Leazes Wing entrance is located off Richardson Road. If you are using a sat nav to find the hospital please use the postcode NE1 4LP.
- The Blue Badge parking areas and the multi storey car park are located off Queen Victoria Road.
- The nearest bus stop to the Royal Victoria Infirmary main entrance is located on St Thomas Street. Bus services 16, 15, 32 and 50 run from this stop. The nearest bus stop to the Leazes Wing entance is located on Richardson Road, opposite this entrance.
- The nearest National Rail station is Newcastle.
- The nearest Metro Station is Haymarket.
- This link explains how to find the Royal Victoria Infirmary.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) at the hospital.
- The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is located in the ground floor Atrium.
- The telephone number for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is 0800 032 0202.
- The email address for the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is [email protected]
- There are volunteers available for help and assistance at the hospital.
- Volunteers do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Hospital staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Volunteers can be found at the information point on the first floor.
- No hospital staff receive deaf awareness training.
- Documents are available in an alternative format and can be provided to include: Braille on request, large print on request, Makaton on request and different languages on request.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area on the hospital site.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- Mobility aids are available to help patients move around and include; wheelchairs.
- To obtain mobility aids please contact main reception.
- There is a Changing Places facility at this hospital which is located on Level 3 in the Victoria Wing.
- Interpreting services can be provided by the Trust and confirmation of booking details can be provided by the PALS team.
- Additional hospital services link (new tab) - click here.
Hospital Parking (Main Car Park)
- The hospital does have a dedicated car park.
- The car park is located at the front of the hospital.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park does not have a barrier control system.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are clearly marked/signposted Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 10+ designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the hospital car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 360cm x 600cm (11ft 10in x 19ft 8in).
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is a designated drop-off point.
- The drop-off point is located in front of the main entrance.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop-off point.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There are parking charges for the hospital car park.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located throughout the car park.
- Payment signs do make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located close to the Blue Badge parking bays.
- There is not a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- To see the hospital parking charges please click here (opens new tab).
Access to the Hospital
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are uneven surfaces.
- The hospital entrance is clearly visible from the car park.
- The nearest designated Blue Badge parking bay is approximately 78m (85yd 11in) from the main entrance.
- In order to ensure vehicles are registered for free parking on the day of attendance, Blue Badge holders are required to provide their registration number to reception, by telephone to 0191 2231353 or via email to [email protected] This applies for each visit to the hospital.
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- The entrance area/door is clearly signed.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The entrance door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 128cm.
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- The main reception is located on the first floor.
- The reception area/desk is approximately 2m (2yd 7in) from the lift.
- Clear signage for the reception area/desk is not visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to the reception area/desk, via lift.
- The lighting levels at the reception area/desk are medium.
- The height of the reception desk is medium height (77cm - 109cm).
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the desk.
- There is a low section of the desk (76cm or below) available.
- There is sufficient space to write or sign documents on the low section of the desk.
- There is a clear knee recess beneath the low section of the desk.
- The desk is not staffed.
- There is not a bell to attract attention.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is level access once inside.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Wayfinding signage is available.
- Dementia friendly signage is not provided.
- The type of flooring in walkways and corridors is carpet and vinyl/laminate.
- There is flooring in corridors with large, repeating patterns that incorporate bold contrasting colours or simulate steps.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are deep (18cm+).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the right as you enter.
- The lift is approximately 11m (12yd 1in) from the main entrance.
- The lift is a platform lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 112cm x 150cm (3ft 8in x 4ft 11in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does not have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting level in the lift is low.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located on the ground floor at the rear left of the building.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 19m (20yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The door is heavy.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 87cm (2ft 10in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 158cm x 222cm (5ft 2in x 7ft 3in).
- The accessible toilet does have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm in front of the seat.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 88cm (2ft 11in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a flashing fire alarm beacon within the cubicle.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is not higher than 95cm (3ft 1in).
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 103cm.
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located on the left of the building.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 19m (20yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- An ambulant toilet with wall mounted grab rails is available.
- Lighting levels are bright.