- Tunbridge Wells Common, along with Rusthall Common, is an area of public open space extending to 104 hectares (256 acres).
- It is owned by the Manor of Rusthall, managed by the Conservators and funded by the Borough Council.
- The commons are famous for their sandstone outcrops such as the Toad Rock and Wellington Rocks.
- There is a cricket ground on the common, opposite the car park on Fir Tree Road.
- The common is open 24 hours per day.
- The paths do not have lighting.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the town.
- This venue is situated in Tunbridge Wells.
- The venue is situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest mainline station is Tunbridge Wells.
- Tunbridge Wells Common is land bounded by Mount Ephraim to the north, London Road to the east and Eridge Road to the south.
- It is crossed by Major Yorks Road. .
- The venue does have its own car park.
- Parking is free for all users.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park is on Fir Tree Road, off Major Yorks Road.
- There are 0 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are uneven surfaces.
- The car park surface is loose chippings.
- There is a dropped kerb / non stepped access from the car park to the venue.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- There are many footpaths across the common.
- Some are wide, firm tarmac paths.
- There are some steep gradients.
- Some wheelchair users may require assistance to use these paths.
- There are also many other paths in the wooded areas which are unmade, uneven and likely to be muddy.
- There are steps on some of these routes.
- There are many benches around the common.
- Most are sited away from the paths on grassed areas.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 100m (109yd 1ft) from the car park, 50m from Mount Ephraim Road.
- This accessible toilet is located up hill from the car park, near to the Wellington Rocks.
- There is not level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is required for the accessible toilet.
- The key is a radar key.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 185cm x 185cm (6ft 1in x 6ft 1in).
- There is not sufficient turning space in the cubicle for a wheelchair user.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is push.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are not available in the cubicle.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted grab rails are available for the toilet.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 46cm (1ft 6in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is fair.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Level Change (Accessible Toilet)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located leading to the accessible toilet.
- The ramp/slope gradient is slight.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The ramp does have handrails.
- The handrails are on the left going up.
- The width of the ramp/slope is 120cm (3ft 11in).
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilets are located in the toilet block,, close to Wellington Rocks.
- The female and male toilets are 100m (109yd) from the car park, 50m from Mount Ephraim Road.
- Inside the venue, there is not level access to the female and male toilet.
- Lighting levels are medium.
Baby Change Facilities
- Baby change facilities are not located within the venue.
Level Change (Toilet Block)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located leading from the path to the toilet block.
- The ramp or slope is moderate.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp.
- The width of the ramp or slope is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- There are steps to access this area / service.
- The steps are located to the right of the toilet block.
- There is / are 2 step(s) to the area / service.
- The steps are not clearly marked.
- The steps are deep.
- The steps do not have handrails.
- Both the accessible and standard toilets are located in this toilet block.
- The toilet block is located about 20m from one of the main paths.
- The path which leads to the toilet block is sloping, made of tarmac but uneven and partly overgrown with moss.
- The steps, at the right hand end of the building lead directly onto the grassy slope.
- Both the male and female standard toilets have a further step up at their entrances.
- Venue not staffed.