- The information in this section was taken in November 2020.
- Campus opening times remain the same, however opening times for catering outlets, and public-facing services such as hair salons, are subject to change at short notice.
- There have been no changes to the parking available.
- At the entrance to Summer Row, the revolving door on the left is an exit, and the middle revolving door and automatic door on the right are entrances.
- At the entrance to MacIntrye House the revolving door on the left is an entrance, and the one on the right is the exit.
- Users needing to use an automatic door may need to enter via a door marked 'exit'.
- Hand sanitising stations are situated at entrances, on all floors and outside all catering sites.
- Catering areas have a limited number of people.
- There are some one way systems in Summer Row, Macintrye House and The Link.
- People are encouraged to keep to the left in corridors and on stairs.
- Floor markings, wall signs and door markers have been installed to assist with social distancing.
- The capacity within each classroom is marked on each door.
- Some cubicles within the standard toilets have been closed to assist with social distancing.
- The capacity of changing areas is stated on the door.
- There is a number of additional staff to assist with taking contact details.
- Face masks are compulsory in all communal areas of all buildings, unless exempt.
- Test and trace QR codes are available in catering outlets.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- Basement - Estates and Guild of Students.
- Ground Floor - Reception, Cakes and Bakes, Resource Centre, Coffee Pod, Brasserie Restaurant and Atrium Restaurant.
- First Floor - Finances and Information Services Unit and Learning and Skills Development Centre.
- Second Floor - Product Development Kitchens and Training Kitchens.
- Third Floor - Office of Vice Chancellor, Boardroom, Admissions Unit, Marketing Unit and Personnel Unit.
- Fourth Floor - Teaching Rooms and Lecture Theatres.
- Fifth Floor - Student Cafe and Library.
- Sixth Floor - Teaching Rooms and Think Tank.
- Seventh Floor - Student Information Suite, International Students Centre, Registry, Attendance, Curriculum and Quality Unit, E Learning Unit, Industrial Placement Unit and Examinations Unit.
- Eighth Floor - Rooftop Coffee, Teaching Rooms and Lecture Theatres.
- Ninth Floor - Knowledge Transfer and Resource Centre and Language Suite 1.
- Tenth Floor - Business Hub @ UCB and Language Suite 2.
- Services / facilities within the building include a sports hall, fitness suite, sports science lab and a dance studio.
- The Malting accommodation is located on Granville Street which can be accessed off of Broad Street or Bath Row. These can be accessed via multiple routes through out the city.
- There is a charge for car parking and the number of spaces is limited. Spaces are issued on a needs basis and cost £200 per semester or £50 for a motorcycle.
- The closest bus stop is located on Bath Row, which is 0.2 miles away. This bus stop is served by multiple bus stops. These busses are 80, 80A, 98, X20, X21, X22 or X64.
- The closest train station to the venue is FiveWays Station, which is roughly 0.3 miles away, a 7 minute walk.
- National Rail Website.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- Birmingham Council Travel Page.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- The building does have its own dedicated parking.
Building Car Park
- The car park can be used by staff, students and Blue Badge holders.
- Parking charges apply for all except Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is located in front of various blocks.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is/are 7 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 360cm x 410cm (11ft 10in x 13ft 5in).
- The dimensions of the designated bays do not vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do need to be booked in advance.
- The nearest designated bay is 4m (4yd 1ft) from the lady astor block entrance.
- The route from the car park to the building is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The dropped kerb between the car park and the building does have tactile paving.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
Public Car Parks
- There is not a car park for public use within 200m (approx).
Drop Off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the sports hall.
- There is step free access at this entrance.
- There is not a bell/buzzer.
- There is not an intercom.
- There is not a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 170cm (5ft 7in).
- There is step free access throughout the building.
- There are doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- There is clear signage for building facilities/areas in the foyer/reception area.
- There is clearly written directional signage at key points of circulation routes.
- There is some flooring in corridors which is shiny and could cause issues with glare or look slippery to some people.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in all areas.
- The lighting levels are good.
- This building does not play background music.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- The lift is located on the left hand side as you enter the building.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G and 1.
- The lift is approximately 5m (5yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The lift door is manual, heavy and opens outwards.
- The dimensions of the lift are 100cm x 150cm (3ft 3in x 4ft 11in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does not have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is bright.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G and 1.
- The stairs are located to the right as you enter the building.
- The stairs are approximately 5m from the main entrance.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
Access to Fitness Suite
- The fitness suite is located on the right hand side of the first floor.
- The fitness suite is 6m (6yd 1ft) from the lift.
- There is level access to the fitness suite.
- There are doors into the fitness suite.
- The doors open away from you (push).
- The doors are single.
- The doors are heavy.
- The opening is 80cm (2ft 7in) wide.
Fitness Suite (General)
- Staff receive no training in assisting disabled people.
- A portable hearing loop is not available for induction.
- There is clear manoeuvring space between equipment.
- There is level access to all of the equipment.
Standard Changing Room
- There is a/are standard changing room(s) available.
- The standard changing room(s) surveyed is/are located to the left hand side of the building.
- The standard changing room(s) is/are approximately 20m (21yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- The standard changing room(s) is/are approximately 15m (16yd 1ft) from the lift.
- There is level access to the standard changing room(s).
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 10m (10yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located on the left hand side as you enter the building.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is required for the accessible toilet.
- The key is a radar key.
- The key can be obtained from accommodation reception.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 150cm x 200cm (4ft 11in x 6ft 7in).
- There is not a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is not an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available for the toilet.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is not a mirror.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 120cm.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Location of Standard Toilet(s)
- There are male and female standard toilets facilities on the ground floor.
Standard Toilet Surveyed
- A male standard toilet was surveyed.
- The toilet surveyed is located within standard changing rooms.
- There is step free access to the standard toilet(s) surveyed from the entrance.
- The standard toilet surveyed is approximately 10m from the main entrance.
- There is not a/are not cubicle(s) suitable for ambulant disabled people in the standard toilet(s) surveyed.
- Lighting levels in the standard toilet surveyed are good.