- The information in this section was taken in January 2021.
- Most University food outlets are now shut in line with government guidance.
- Opening times of areas are under constant review given the number of people on campus and government guidance.
- External queuing systems are located outside the Fresh Shop and Student Services.
- All buildings have entrances and exits via separate doors to assist with social distancing.
- Hand sanitising stations are at the entrance to all buildings and in each room used for study spaces.
- There is a limited number of people allowed inside.
- The number of people permitted in each room is signed on the door to that space.
- Clearly signed one way systems have been set up both internally and externally around the campus.
- There should be no more than one person in the lift at any time.
- Floor markings and wall signs have been installed to remind people to keep 2m apart.
- Protective screens have been installed across the university.
- Some urinals and cubicles in toilets have been closed to assist with social distancing.
- All showers are available, but the number of people permitted in them is indicated by a sign on the door.
- All staff, students and visitors are expected to wear face masks when inside buildings, unless they are in a single office.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- Related link East Car Park.
- Related link Library.
- The details within this guide relate to the route from the east car park Blue Badge bays to the library via the university bus stop.
East Car Park
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- There are 10 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 4.8m x 4.9m.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The roadway around the car park is tarmac and the individual bays are block paved.
- The car park is pay and display and for both permit holders and visitors.
- Pay and display is enforced Monday to Friday and Saturday 08.00-17.00 and costs £1.00.
- Because of limited parking space, there are restrictions on students bringing cars onto campus.
- Accessible parking is however available for visitors, staff and students as marked.
- Students needing to park on site because of a disability are provided with permits.
East Car Park to Convocation Avenue Crossing
- There is a path leading from the Blue Badge parking to the Convocation Avenue crossing. The surface of the path is tarmacked shingle turning into block paving.
- There is a small raised lip where the tarmac meets the block paving just before the crossing.
- There is an easy slope that leads up at first before sloping down to the crossing.
- The university bus stop is approximately 50m from the beginning of this path.
Convocation Avenue Crossing
- The crossing has dropped kerbs on either side with no tactile paving.
- There are bollards located on either side of the crossing.
- The surface of the crossing is block paving.
- The surface of the crossing is uneven.
University Bus Stop
- The university bus stop is located on the other side of the crossing of Convocation Avenue.
- There are three covered areas.
- There are lights set into the floor located around the university bus stop. These can be slippery in wet or cold conditions
- There is an opening at the rear of the bus stop. The opening is 100cm wide.
- The surface around the bus stop is block paving and is uneven in places.
- The bus stop is sheltered and lowered seating is available.
- Accessible and standard unisex toilet facilities are available at the bus stop.
Accessible Toilet (University Bus Stop)
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is located within the bus stop.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 94cm (3ft 1in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 150cm x 220cm (4ft 11in x 7ft 3in).
- There is a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 83cm (2ft 9in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush, however it is not on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on the right.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is not a mirror.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Convocation Avenue Crossing to the Service Road Lift
- Continue ahead from the Convocation Avenue crossing with the University bus stop on your left.
- There are lights set into the floor located around the university bus stop. These can be slippery in wet or cold conditions.
- There is a path which runs alongside the service road, leading to the lift.
- There are easy slopes and uneven surfaces located along the path.
- The surface of the service road path is block paving. The surface becomes concrete with areas of block paving as you approach the lift.
- The service road pathway is slippery in places especially when wet.
Lift (Service Road Lift to The Parade)
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located at the end of the service road path.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 1-2.
- Wall mounted information boards are provided at lift landings.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 100cm x 140cm (3ft 3in x 4ft 7in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- The lift is approximately 95m from the university bus stop.
- There is an intercom and CCTV system in operation to use this lift.
- The person using the lift will need to push the intercom button (which will connect to the main security desk). Security will then grant the user permission to use the lift.
- The surface of the walkway as you exit the lift is tarmac. This becomes block paving as you continue ahead.
- If the lift is out of use at the time of your visit please read Route Plan 4 - Service Road Lift to the Library via the Chancellors' Building.
The Parade to the Library
- On exiting the service road lift continue straight ahead.
- The Student Union is located to the right.
- The surface of the walkway is made up of large flag stones which are uneven in places.
- On the other side of the underpass there is an easy slope that leads down towards the library.
- The library is located to the right.
- The library is approximately 100m from the service road lift.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The width of the door opening is 190cm (6ft 3in).
Second set of doors
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The width of the door opening is 190cm (6ft 3in).
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- There are separate doors for entry and exit.
- The entry doors are on the left as you face the front of the building and the exit is on the right.