- Related link Aston Webb 'A' Block.
- The Museum is located within Aston Webb 'A' Block.
- At the time of the survey (November 2015), the Museum was closed for refurbishment.
- Access at this time is only available through 'A' Block. The Museum is due to reopen in Spring 2016.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the Edgbaston campus.
- The venue is not on a road with a steep gradient.
- The nearest mainline Railway Station is University.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
Parking (Aston Webb Block A Car Park)
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is not free for all users.
- Parking is free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is located in front of the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 3 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 400cm x 650cm (13ft 1in x 21ft 4in).
- The nearest designated bay is 5m (5yd 1ft) from the Aston Webb Block A main entrance.
- The furthest designated bay is 50m (54yd 2ft) from the Aston Webb Block A main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are uneven surfaces.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Rear Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the rear of the museum, within A Block.
- There is level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open towards you (pull).
- The doors are single width.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The door opening is 103cm (3ft 5in) wide.
- A new entrance will be available at the front of the building and used as the main entrance when the museum opens.
- There is level access to the service.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-M.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are deep (18cm+).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is not a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located towards the rear of the museum.
- The lift is a platform lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-M.
- The lift is 12m (13yd 4in) from the rear entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 102cm x 150cm (3ft 4in x 4ft 11in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does not have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The accessible toilet is 3m (3yd 10in) from the rear entrance.
- The accessible toilet is located at the rear of the museum, on the ground floor.
- There is level access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens by sliding.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 79cm (2ft 7in).
- The door weight is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 149cm x 221cm (4ft 11in x 7ft 3in).
- Floor manoeuvring space is clear in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 67cm (2ft 2in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are not available in the cubicle.
- There is not a coat hook.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There are mirrors.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a sink.
- The sink can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The sink is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the grab rails and wall is good.
- The contrast between the drop down rails and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilets are located at the rear of the museum on the ground floor.
- The female and male toilets are 3m (3yd 10in) from the rear entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are bright.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are not Text Relay aware.