Show Easy Read
Introduction (Route Information)
- The route starts at the rear entrance of the Dalhousie Building and continues via Old Hawkhill, Balfour Street, past the Enquiry Centre, Park Wynd, Cross Row, past the Main Library, Smalls Wynd, to the rear of the Old Technical Institute to the rear of the Tower Building and the accessible entrance.
- The total distance of the route is approximately 560m and should take approximately 9 minutes. There are easy and moderate slopes and ramps as part of the route by-passing steps. The surface along the route includes concrete paving slabs, block paving and stone cobbled paving. There is signage at regular locations along the route to buildings.
Starting Point - Dalhousie Building
Dalhousie Building to Old Hawkhill
- Leave the Dalhousie Building via the rear accessible entrance.
- Follow the path up the slope to the top about 40m and turn left.
- The path has a moderate upward slope with uneven concrete slab paving.
- There are raised inspection covers (photographs 4-6)
- There is a row of 120cm high pillar lights on the right hand side (photograph 7).
- Continue up the path toward Old Hawkhill.
- The paving continues as concrete slabs.
- At the corner of the building there is a raised inspection cover and metal channel (photograph 10).
- After 15m bear left at the corner marked by a glass wall on the left (photograph 13).
- Keep the 120cm high light post to your right.
- Then at the edge of the Blue Badge bays there are 90cm high bollards (photographs 15).
- At the bollards there is a level change to block paving.
- Prepare to cross Old Hawkhill at the Blue Badge bays.
Old Hawkhill to Balfour Street
- Cross Old Hawkhill to the dropped kerb on the other side. The road here is two-way.
- There is a lip at the dropped kerb on each side of the crossing.
- The paving is uneven cobbles with an uneven tarmac repair. The crossing is not marked.
- After crossing turn right and follow the path about 45m up to the corner with Balfour Street.
- There is an easy slope up with uneven tarmac paving and a cobbled edge on the left hand side.
- There are areas of cracked tarmac and raised inspection covers.
- Turn left into Balfour Street.
Balfour Street to Enquiry Centre
- As you enter Balfour Street follow the pavement to the left.
- The path is tarmacked and level though a bit uneven. There is a low wall on the left.
- The path then turns right past a waste bin.
- The bin obstructs the pavement at this point to 90cm width (photograph 4).
- The paving changes to block paving and is uneven.
- Follow the pavement down Balfour Street past parking spaces on the right and the Queen Mother Building on the left toward the Enquiry Centre, Student Association and Premier supermarket.
- There is a gentle slope down with a low wall on the left.
- After 50m the wall ends and the blockwork paving becomes concrete slabs.
- The path width is reduced by cars parking on the right.
- After 75m there is a road crossing to enter the Queen Mother Building to the left.
- The crossing is level and marked by block paving with drooped kerbs to each side (photographs 10-12).
- The path continues with a low beech hedge to the left and lawns and shrubs to the right.
- There are benches on the left in front of the lawns.
- The path continues past the lawns to a wider courtyard area to the right.
- Go past a path junction on the left and street signs on the right (photograph 18).
- Then continue by bearing left and following the curved path on the left in front of the Enquiry Centre.
Link - Enquiry Centre / Student Association
- To reach the Enquiry Centre, bear right then round to the left.
- For more information about the Enquiry Centre please click here (opens in new tab)
- To reach the Student Association bear right then straight ahead.
- For more information about the Students' Association please click here(opens in new tab).
Enquiry Centre to Park Wynd
- Follow the path round to the left past lawns on the left and the Enquiry Centre on the right.
- The path is blocked paved and level at first and curved to the left.
- After 30m there is a crossroads marked by circular patterned block paving (photograph 5).
- There is a large rock at the junction.
- Continue straight on then follow the path around to the right past a blue sign on the left.
- The path has a gentle then moderate slope down.
- There are lawns to the left and bushes on the right in front of the Chaplaincy Centre.
- Follow the path to Park Wynd past the Chaplaincy Centre and Coffee Bar on the right.
- At Park Wynd prepare to cross the road.
Park Wynd to Small's Wynd (Main Library)
- Cross Park Wynd at the crossing area.
- The road is one way with traffic coming from the right up the slope.
- There is a dropped kerb with a small lip.
- The road is paved with cobbles and is uneven so care should be taken.
- On the far side there is a lip to the dropped kerb and a metal grille gully in the gutter.
- Turn right and then immediate left down Cross Row past metal railings on the left.
- The pavement is tarmacked and uneven where cracked and repaired.
- The path slopes down with a moderate slope.
- After 10m there is a lamppost on the left that reduces the path width (photograph 8).
- Similarly after 30m there is a lamppost to the right at the kerb edge that reduces the path width.
- Continue 45m to the junction of Cross Row and Small's Wynd where the paving changes to block paving (photographs 12-13).
- The Main Library is on the opposite side of the road.
- Cross Small's Wynd at the zebra crossing.
Link - Main Library
- * To enter the main library at the junction of Cross Row and Small's Wynd, turn right and cross Cross Row to the Main Library entrance.
- For more information about (Starting Point) please click here (opens in new tab).
Small's Wynd (Main Library) to Old Medical School
- At the corner of Cross Wynd and Small's Wynd cross Small's Wynd via the zebra crossing.
- The road is one way with traffic coming from the right up the slope.
- The road is tarmacked and uneven with a metal grille gully in the gutter (photographs 1-3).
- There are dropped kerbs to each end of the zebra crossing with small 2cm lips to the kerb stones.
- There are a line of bollards on the opposite side (photographs 4-5). They are 97 - 100cm high.
- After crossing turn right to go down Small's Wynd.
- The path is paved with block paving that is uneven in places.
- On the right there are the bollards and after 10m on the left there are metal railings.
- The path has a gentle slope down.
- After 15m you come to the junction of Small's Lane and Small's Wynd. Cross the road to continue down Small's Wynd.
- The road is one way with traffic coming from the left up the slope.
- There are dropped kerbs with a lip to each side of the road, uneven repaired tarmac on the road and a raised metal inspection covers in the middle and on the far side (photographs 7 - 9).
- Continue down Small's Wynd past the Ewing Building and gardens to the Old Medical School.
- Just past the junction with Small's Lane, a sign post reduces the width to 115cm.
- The path is tarmac and uneven, with dropped kerbs at the garden entrance marked by tactile paving (photograph 12).
- After 100m the Old Medical School entrance opens on the left (photographs 16-18). At the entrance there are ramped kerbs to each side with moderate slopes.
- Cross the entrance to the Old Medical School and continue 20m down the slope to the entrance to the Old Technical Institute and College Shop (photograph 20) and prepare to turn left.
Old Medical School to Tower Building via Old Technical Institute (Disability Services)
- After the Old Medical School, turn left at the entrance toward the Old Technical Institute (Disability Services) and College Shop. Go down the service road between the Old Medical School and the Old Technical Institute (OTI) (photographs 1 and 2).
- On the right at the side of the service road there is a ramp down to the OTI side entrance to Disability Services and a metal rail on a concrete kerb (photograph 3). This is a staff entrance and not the most accessible route. Visitors are advised to continue to the rear of the building and the main entrance to the Support Hub (see below).
- The road is tarmacked and slopes down with an easy slope to the end of the OTI building. The distance from the turn into the access road to the end of the building and the next turn is about 35m.
- On the left there is a grass verge with rounded kerb (photograph 4).
- Across the road there are four 104cm high black bollards with a minimum spacing between the centre two of 146cm (photograph 5).
- As you continue down the road the College Shop is on the right and steps up to the Old Dental School to the left (photographs 6-8).
- Outside the College Shop entrance there are inspection covers, one of which has a concrete skirt with a raised lip up to 2cm which could be a trip hazard (photographs 9 and 10).
- Continue past the steps on the left to the corner of the building on the right (photographs 11and 12) and turn right to go down the slope toward the Tower Building.
- The paving changes from tarmac to concrete tile paving which is broken and uneven in places. The slope is easy down the rear of the building. There is a set of steps on the right at the rear of the shop. On the left there are lawns with a low chain link and post fence (photographs 13-15).
- Continue down the slope. On the right is the entrance to the Global Room (International Student Advice Service) (photograph 16), then metal railings (photograph 17).
- After 25m, the chain link fencing ends on the left and there is a path to the right leading to the main entrance to the Support Hub including the Disability Services reception (photographs 18-20). There is a slope across the path from this point as the path curves to the left toward the Tower Building.
- A curved wall and railing begins at this point round to the left and the path follows it (photographs 21 and 22). The slope at this point also increases to medium at its steepest.
- Continue down the slope and between two 104cm high bollards (photograph 23). At this point the path levels and the paving changes to block paving.
- Cross to the covered entrance and enter the Tower Building via the accessible entrance to the right (photographs 24 and 25). The entrance is automatic with a push pad to open it on the right hand wall.
- The distance from the corner and turn to the Support Hub entrance to the accessible entrance to the Tower Building is approximately 20m.
Link - Old Technical Institute (Disability Services)
- At the rear of the Old Technical Institute turn right for the main reception of the Support Hub, including Disability Services, Occupational Health, Counselling Services, University Health Service (photographs 1 and 2).
- Within the building there is also the Global Room (International Student Support), Student Funding and Business Transformation.
- For more information about The Old Technical Institute (Support Hub) please click here (opens in new tab).