Show Easy Read
- This route plan covers the journey from the Main Gate on University Avenue to the Adam Smith Building on Bute Gardens.
The journey is approximately 270m (885 feet).
For those without mobility difficulties it may take about 3-4 minutes to cover.
From University Avenue to Gibson Street there is a steep uphill slope along Hillhead Street.
This section is likely to be challenging to those with mobility difficulties.
This route also incorporates access to Fraser Building, McMillan Reading Room, Library and Hetherington Buildings along the route.
Exit the Main Gate
- Exit the left main gate (as viewed from University Avenue - photograph 1) and turn right onto University Avenue.
- If exiting from the gate on the right as you face the main gate, cross the quiet entrance road towards the left gate.
- The main gate entrance road is level to the kerbs without tactile paving on either side.
- The wide pavements in this area have a paved surface.
Turn Right onto University Avenue and Cross at the Pedestrian Crossing
- Continue down University Avenue to the nearby pedestrian crossing.
- Cross University Avenue using the pedestrian crossing.
- The crossing controls are 120cm high and offer a tactile turning dial beneath the box.
- There are lowered kerbs with tactile marking on both sides.
- There are audio and visual signals with metal studs showing the route across the road.
Turn Left and Follow Hillhead Street 70m Uphill
- Turn left when across the road and follow the pavement round to the right onto Hillhead Street.
- This leads onto a long steep slope up to the opposite side of the campus.
- There is a handrail on the left which has a short gap for crossing towards.
- There is a block paving surface.
- The road up Hillhead Street could be used via a dropped kerb to have the handrail on the right hand side instead.
- The road has a tarmac surface with block paving near the top.
- There is a narrow cobbled drainage surface on the road side of the handrail which also runs across the road halfway up.
Access to McMillan Reading Room and Fraser Building
- From the top of Hillhead Street turn right towards the Fraser Building but keep right for the McMillan Reading Room.
- Link to Fraser Building
- Use the path on the left and ramped rear entrance into the upper floor.
- The steep path back downhill to the right leads to the stepped main entrance, or back onto University Avenue.
- The path has a paved surface.
- Link to McMillan Reading Room.
Continue Along the Pedestrianised Area of Hillhead Street
- At the top of Hillhead Street the surface changes to tarmac and there is no longer a handrail.
- This is a pedestrianised area of the street with no through road.
- Continue along and slightly over to the right onto the paved surface.
- There is a moderate uphill slope where the handrail beside the Fraser Building is mainly used for bicycle storage.
- The library is on the left beyond the Hunterian Art Gallery at the top of Hillhead Street, opposite the Fraser Building.
- Link to Library.
Turn Left onto the Rear Library Path
- Continue across the block paving until you reach the bollards at the end of the pedestrianised area.
- The pavement changes to tarmac at the bollards.
- Follow the pavement round to the left side of the road.
- Continue along Hillhead Street briefly until the diagonal path to the rear of the library buildings on the left.
- Follow this block paving diagonal path to the rear of the buildings.
- The path has an easy slope throughout.
Follow the Path Around the Library
- At the rear of the library, follow the path round to the left and then to the right.
Continue Towards Bute Gardens
- Continue between the buildings where the path narrows.
- After the narrow section turn left where the path emerges towards Bute Gardens.
- The surface changes to block paving to the right of this area.
Follow the Slope up to Bute Gardens
- Keep towards the left of the block paving and follow the paving slab surfaced path up to Bute Gardens.
- There is an easy slope throughout the remainder of the rear library path.
- There is a seating area to the left on Bute Gardens here opposite the Adam Smith Building.
Access to the Hetherington Building
- The Hetherington Building is to the right when emerging onto Bute Gardens.
- At the top of the slope, follow the pavement round to the right.
- The pavement changes to a surface of concrete paving slabs and has a moderate slope.
- At the top of the short slope in the pavement turn left to access the building via an easy ramp on the right or steps to the left.
- Link to Hetherington Building.
Turn Left onto Bute Gardens
- At the top of the slope up from the rear library turn left onto Bute Gardens.
- Follow the pavement until the path and bollards stick out into the road on the right at the crossing.
- There is a slight slope leading down to Bute Gardens.
Cross Bute Gardens
- Use this crossing over to the Adam Smith Building.
- There are dropped kerbs without tactile paving on both sides.
- There are bollards on both sides of the road.
- The crossing has hatched markings painted on the tarmac surface.
- Once across, the ramped Level 3 entrance is straight ahead.
Turn Left to Access the Adam Smith Building
- There is a block paving surface once across the street.
- Turn left and follow the pavement towards the main entrance where the wider surface changes to paving slabs.
- The ramp to the main entrance comes before the steps in front.
- You have arrived.
- Link to Adam Smith Building.