- The information in this section was taken in December 2020.
- Opening times may be subject to change due to restrictions, please see local communications for more details.
- Access routes have been risk assessed and reviewed in all buildings.
- In high footfall areas e.g. Library, Food retail, Sports Centre, Student Hub etc staff have been positioned to manage entry and provide relevant COVID guidance.
- Hand sanitisers are located at all building entrances, toilets, breakout areas and food retail areas. Extra provision has been made in specific specialist areas.
- There has been a reduction in the number of users buildings can accommodate at any one time.
- COVID-19 signage has been installed throughout.
- All main reception desks & service counters now have a protective screen.
- Toilets are available.
- All accessible toilets and Changing Places are still available.
- Some urinals and cubicles in standard toilets have closed to assist with social distancing.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- To see a video of the COVID-19 measures that are in place please click here.
- Services / facilities within the building include a common room, reading room, seminar room, computer room and a research room.
- Access to the venue is via swipe card.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the campus.
- This venue is situated in the Hull campus.
- The venue is not situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- The nearest National Rail station is Hull.
- Within the University of Hull - Hull Campus there are 4 main car parks.
- These are Salmon Grove, Wilberforce, Hertford and Perimeter Road.
- All of the car parks require a permit, except for Wilberforce which is pay and display.
- The nearest Blue Badge parking is located at the side of the Cohen Building.
- There are 2 bays which are 480cm x 280cm.
- The nearest main car park is Salmon Grove.
- For further details on parking on campus please see the University website parking page.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The width of the door opening is 160cm (5ft 3in).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located on the path leading to the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The hearing assistance system is available only on request.
- The system is a portable loop.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Customers can charge scooters or wheelchairs at the venue.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G, 1, 2.
- The stairs are located to the left as you enter the building through the main entrance.
- The stairs are approximately 6m from the main entrance.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a second staircase located to the rear of the building.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located on the right of the building.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G, 1, 2.
- Wall mounted information boards are not provided at lift landings.
- The lift is approximately 8m (8yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 78cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 140cm x 150cm (4ft 7in x 4ft 11in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have a hearing loop system.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- Accessible toilet facilities are available.
Location and Access
- The toilet is for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 25m (27yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located towards the rear of the building.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is required for the accessible toilet.
- The key is a radar key.
- The key can be obtained from the estates department.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 152cm x 210cm (4ft 12in x 6ft 11in).
- There is a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 78cm (2ft 7in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is not higher than 95cm (3ft 1in).
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the hand dryer is 140cm (4ft 7in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 108cm (3ft 7in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located at the rear of the building.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 26m (28yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- Additional standard toilets are located on all floors.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.