- Services / facilities within the building include a social space, student radio station, newspaper offices and a TV studio.
- Related link The Venue.
- The Media Centre is situated on the first floor of the building which also contains The Venue on the ground and lower ground floors.
- There is no lift at the entrance to the Media Centre but the first floor can be accessed by the lift in the foyer of The Venue.
- This will need to be by prior arrangement as the Venue is usually closed to the public during the opening hours of the Media Centre.
- Visitors using the lift will be accompanied by a member of staff.
- Monday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Tuesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Wednesday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Thursday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Friday 09:00 - 17:00.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
- For out of hours entry a fob is required.
- The venue is situated outside the centre of the city.
- This venue is situated in Canterbury.
- The venue is not situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- The nearest National Rail station is Canterbury West.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
Parking (Eliot Car Park)
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is not free for all users.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is located off the access road leading towards Becket Court.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 3 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 360cm x 520cm (11ft 10in x 17ft 1in).
- Designated parking bays are clearly marked.
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 65m (71yd 3in) from the main entrance.
- The furthest Blue Badge bay is 90m (98yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does not have tactile paving.
- There is a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The road is generally quiet.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- There is a taxi rank located next to the building, shown in photograph 2.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the side of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
Second set of doors
- The automatic doors are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is / are double (with one leaf locked).
- The width of the door opening is 75cm (2ft 6in).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope does bypass the step(s).
- The ramp/slope is located to the right as you face the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located in front of the entrance.
- There is/are 2 step(s) to the area/service.
- There is not tactile paving at the top and bottom of the steps.
- The step(s) is/are clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are medium height (11cm - 17cm).
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- The pavement in front of the steps has a steep sideways slope.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1.
- The stairs are located ahead from the main entrance.
- The stairs are approximately 3m from the main entrance.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- There are manual, heavy, double doors to access the stairwell on the first floor.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located at the left of the entrance foyer, behind the reception desk.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are LG-G-1.
- Wall mounted information boards are not provided at lift landings.
- The lift is approximately 7m (7yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 81cm (2ft 8in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 99cm x 135cm (3ft 3in x 4ft 5in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- The gap to access the rear of the reception desk is 81cm.
- The Venue is on the ground and lower ground floors of the building.
- The first floor is to access the Media Centre.
- Staff always accompany people using the lift to control access to the appropriate floors.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does play background music.
- Music is played throughout the building.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The photographs show the social space on the first floor.
- The radio and TV studios open off this space.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 8m (8yd 2ft) from the lift.
- This accessible toilet is located on the 1st floor, to the right as you exit the lift.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
- This is by lift.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The door is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 150cm x 190cm (4ft 11in x 6ft 3in).
- There is not a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 75cm (2ft 6in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush, however it is not on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is not a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is not higher than 95cm (3ft 1in).
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the hand dryer is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 78cm (2ft 7in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Shared Toilet(s)
- The shared toilets that were surveyed are located on the first floor, opposite the lift.
- The shared toilet(s) is/are approximately 4m (4yd 1ft) from the lift.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the shared toilet(s).
- This is by lift.
- Lighting levels are bright.
- Staff do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are not Text Relay aware.