- The information in this section was taken in December 2020.
- Opening times may be subject to change due to Covid-19 restrictions, however all buildings are still open during core hours i.e. 9 - 5. The only building that may be closed is the leisure centre due to government restrictions.
- There have been no changes to parking as a result of Covid-19.
- There are no external queuing systems.
- All main entrances are used for access and exit.
- When entering any building you must be wearing a face mask.
- There is a member of staff available at the entrance.
- There are hand sanitising stations at the entrance of every building and throughout.
- There may be restrictions on the numbers of people allowed into service areas at any one time. There may be building attendants at the entrance to each building.
- There are one way systems in a number of buildings, these are clearly marked.
- Markings have been added to floors to assist with social distancing and signs have been put up on walls and doors to remind people to keep 2 metres apart.
- All counters and main reception desks have a protective screen.
- Toilets are available.
- Some shower cubicles have been closed to assist with social distancing.
- The communal changing area is closed. The changing area is restricted to 5 people.
- This route is from the Blue Badge parking bays in the Irwell Place car park to the Maxwell Building.
Irwell Place Car Park
- There are 4 Blue Badge bays, 460cm x 570cm, next to the entrance to the car park on Irwell Place.
- There are a further 2 bays in the centre of the car park.
- The car park has a tarmac surface.
- Access to the car park is restricted to holders of University Car Park permits or to official visitors.
- In addition a Blue Badge is required to park in Blue Badge bays.
- The standard parking bays require a permit or a parking ticket payable in advance at the ticket machine. Parking may also be paid for by mobile phone.
Pedestrian Exit from the Car Park
- The exit is located next to the Blue Badge bays.
- It has no doors and is 123cm wide at it's narrowest.
- It has a tarmac surface and a moderate slope down to Irwell Place.
- After the exit the path levels out.
Crossing the Faraday Building Car Park Entrance
- There are dropped kerbs without tactile surfaces on both sides of this road. There is also a dip and raised inspection chamber cover on the far side.
- The entrance road has an uneven concrete surface, with a moderate cross slope to the left as you cross.
Path Along Irwell Place
- Past the crossing, the path has a tarmac surface, which is slightly uneven and has an easy then moderate slope leading up.
- Care should be taken of some raised ironmongery just over half way up.
Crossing the Faraday Building Car Park Exit
- The kerbs have been dropped slightly on both sides on the road, but there are still shallow steps to get off and then back onto the paths.
- The exit road has a concrete surface, with a slope to the left as you cross.
Path Continuing Past the Faraday Building
- The path has a tarmac surface with a moderate slope that then levels, with a dip where the path narrows. The path is 127cm at it's narrowest.
- At the corner with The Crescent there is a stretch of tactile paving.
Crossing The Crescent Westbound
- Just as you turn on to The Crescent there is a pelican crossing. Both buttons for the crossing here are 104cm high.
- There are dropped kerbs with tactile paving both sides.
- The road is two lanes wide, has a tarmac surface and has a moderate slope up to the central reservation.
- The pelican crossing does not have an audio signal.
The Crescent Central Reservation
- The central reservation has a tarmac surface, which is slightly uneven.
- There is tactile paving to both front and rear edges and the crossing is staggered.
- West and Eastbound carriageways are crossed under separate light crossings.
- The pelican crossings do not have an audio signal.
Crossing The Crescent Eastbound
- There is a pelican crossing here, which has buttons 104cm high.
- There are dropped kerbs with tactile paving on both sides.
- The road is two lanes wide, has a tarmac surface and a moderate slope down to the north side of The Crescent.
North Side of The Crescent
- After the crossing, turn left and follow the path, which has a slightly uneven tarmac surface.
- At the end of this stretch of path, there is a dropped kerb with tactile paving to cross the Peel Park Campus exit road. Do not cross here. Turn right into the campus.
Turn into the Peel Park Campus
- After crossing the exit road, turn left and follow the path.
- This path has a tarmac surface with a moderate slope up then down.
Crossing the Service Road to the Maxwell Building Blue Badge Bays
- There is a dropped kerb without tactile paving and with a shallow lip down onto the road.
- There is a zebra crossing marked on the road, which has a tarmac surface and a moderate slope up then down.
- There is a dropped kerb on the far side of the crossing, with tactile paving between bollards 169cm apart.
In Front of Maxwell Building
- After crossing the service road, head diagonally to the right to access the ramp to the entrance, or straight ahead to access the steps.
- This area has a brick block paving surface, which is slightly uneven.
Ramp to the Maxwell Building
- The ramp is to the right of the main entrance as you face it.
- The ramp has a moderate gradient and a concrete surface.
- It is 120cm wide and has handrails both sides.
From the Ramp to the Maxwell Building Entrance
- At the top of the ramp, turn left and follow the path around the side of the building to the entrance.
- This area has a paving slabs surface, which is slightly uneven.
Steps to the Entrance
- The steps are in front of the entrance.
- There are 6, medium high, marked steps with handrails both sides.
- These steps can be bypassed by using the ramp.
- The area at the top of the steps has a paving slabs surface, which is slightly uneven.
Outside Access (Maxwell Building Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (away from you).
Second set of doors
- The automatic doors are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The width of the door opening is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The width of the door opening is 137cm (4ft 6in).
- To the left of both sets of automatic doors there are double manual doors 138 cm wide which open towards you (shown in photograph 2).
- Related link Maxwell Building.