Show Easy Read
- Related link The Edge.
- Related link Students' Union - University House.
- This route is from The Edge, in the Endcliffe Student Village, to the Students' Union - University House.
- The route is approximately 1 mile (1,609 metres) long.
Front of The Edge
- Walk away from the main entrance of The Edge, across the piazza area, which has a block paving and rough concrete surface.
- Take the rough concrete path around the car park.
- Cross the quiet surface road, which has a tarmac surface and is level, then continue diagonally to the left along the rough concrete path, which has a medium slope down.
- This path comes out on Endcliffe Avenue, via a gap, 148 cm wide.
Crossing Endcliffe Avenue
- When you reach Endcliffe Avenue, turn right along the tarmac path, which is uneven with a moderate slope down.
- The path becomes brick block paving and leads to a crossing area with dropped kerbs with tactile paving both sides.
- Cross Endcliffe Avenue here. The road has a tarmac surface with a moderate slope up then down, and also to the left as you cross.
- The path on the far side also has a brick block paving surface.
Path to Oakholme Road
- After crossing Endcliffe Avenue, continue straight ahead onto the footpath to Oakholme Road, over brick block paving and then tactile paving onto rough concrete. There is a bollard here, making the entrance to the footpath 147 cm wide.
- The footpath has an easy slope down then up.
- There is a help point intercom halfway along.
- There is tactile paving where the footpath meets Oakholme Road, with a bollard making the gap 165 cm wide.
Crossing Oakholme Road
- Past the tactile paving, turn left on Oakholme Road. The path here has a tarmac surface with a moderate slope up.
- After about 10 metres, there is a crossing, with dropped kerbs on both sides.
- Cross Oakholme Road here, which has a tarmac surface with a moderate slope up then down.
- On the far side, turn left and follow the tarmac path with a moderate slope up.
Path past Stephenson Site
- Following the signs to the University Campus, turn right off Oakholme Road into the Stephenson Site.
- The path here has a tactile then rough concrete surface, with moderate slopes down.
- The path passes under two archways. There are gates at the end of the second archway, 174 cm wide, although only one is usually open, making the gap 87 cm wide.
- These gates are locked between 23:00 - 06:00 every day.
- The path continues after the gates to the car park. There is tactile paving and a bollard, making the gap 102 cm wide, just before the path reaches the car park.
Crossing Stephenson Site Car Park
- The car park has a tarmac surface.
- Turn left and cross the car park. Follow the steep slope up.
- Turn right at the top of the slope and follow the path to the end of the Stephenson Site. This has a tarmac surface with moderate slopes up.
- At the end of the path is a gate, 105 cm wide, which is heavy and opens towards you.
- After the gate, continue straight ahead to Westbourne Road.
Crossing Westbourne Road
- When you reach Westbourne Road you need to cross.
- There is a dropped kerb, without tactile paving, on the near side. Cross diagonally to the left.
- The road has a tarmac surface, becoming brick block paving just before you reach the other side. It has a moderate slope up and then down, and down to the right as you cross.
- There is a dropped kerbed with tactile paving on the far side.
- After crossing Westbourne Road, turn right and follow the tarmac path along Southbourne Road. The path has a moderate to steep slope down.
- The path is uneven as it crosses the entrances to driveways.
- Just before Southbourne Road meets Melbourne Avenue, the path runs out and there is a shallow kerb leading down onto the road.
- When on the road, turn left into Melbourne Avenue, and then take the right hand fork. This has an uneven tarmac surface with a moderate slope up. There is also a speed bump.
- As the road passes Sheffield High School, join the footpath on the left hand side, via a dropped kerb without tactile paving. The path is 110 cm wide due to bollards, and has an uneven tarmac surface, with cobbles in front of one of the entrances to the school.
- The path narrows to 82cm wide where a parking machine has been installed opposite a bollard.
- The path ends past the school, and you rejoin the road via a dropped kerb without tactile paving. There is a speed bump just after this.
- Continue following the road down the moderate slope, which then levels out but is still uneven in places.
- At the end of Melbourne Avenue, it reaches Newbould Lane close to the junction with Glossop Road. The exit onto Newbould Lane has a bollard, making the gap 150cm wide.
Crossing Newbould Lane
- After Melbourne Avenue, turn right to the pelican crossing. The crossing has a button 94 cm high and dropped kerbs with tactile paving both sides.
- The road has a tarmac surface with a moderate slope and to the right as you cross.
- After the crossing, turn left up the moderate slope to Glossop Road.
- Turn right and follow the tarmac path down the moderate slope, past an area of tactile paving for a crossing. There are several other areas of tactile paving along this stretch of the path.
- Cross College Street, which has dropped kerbs without tactile paving both sides, but still with a very shallow kerb to overcome.
- The road has an uneven tarmac surface, with a moderate slope down.
- Past College Street, continue along the path until just before the junction with Clarkehouse Road.
- The path here is tarmac, uneven in places, with a moderate slope down.
Crossing Glossop Road
- Just before the junction with Clarkehouse Road, use the pelican crossing to cross Glossop Road.
- The crossing has a button 122 cm high and dropped kerbs with tactile paving both sides.
- The road has a tarmac surface, with an easy slope up to the far side and a moderate slope down to the right as you cross.
Glossop Road Far Side
- After the crossing, turn right and follow the tarmac path down the moderate slope. This path is uneven in places, and crosses areas of tactile paving as it passes the other crossing for Glossop Road.
- Cross Claremont Place, which has dropped kerbs with tactile paving on both sides.
- The road has a tarmac surface with a moderate slope to the right as you cross.
- Further along the path, cross Shearwood Road. The crossing is similar to Claremont Place, with dropped kerbs and tactile paving on both sides.
Crossing Clarkson Street
- As you pass the drama studios, the path meets Clarkson Street. Cross straight ahead and continue along Glossop Road.
- The crossing for Clarkson Street has dropped kerbs and tactile paving on both sides and on the traffic island in the middle.
- The road is tarmac with a moderate slope down to the right as you cross.
Glossop Road, past the School of Education
- After crossing Clarkson Street, continue straight ahead past the car park and School of Education Building.
- The path is mainly tarmac, with some areas of block paving, and a moderate slope down.
- There is an area of tactile paving by a bus stop. After this the path has a mainly block paving surface.
Crossing Durham Road
- Past the School of Education Building, cross Durham Road.
- The crossing has dropped kerbs with tactile paving on both sides and on the island in the middle.
- The road has a tarmac surface with a moderate slope down and to the right as you cross.
- After the traffic island, head diagonally to the left on the second part of the crossing, to the dropped kerb by the Students' Union Building.
Access to the Students' Union
- Past the crossing, take the moderate ramp with the block paving surface next to the Students' Union Building.
- This path levels out. Follow the path along the side of the building to the platform lift to access the main areas of the Students' Union. Fusion and The Foundry can also be accessed from here.