COVID-19 Information (The University of Sheffield)
- Related link Goodwin Sports Centre (North Building).
- Related link Students' Union - University House.
- This route is from the Visitors Car Park in front of the Goodwin Sports Centre (North Building) to the Students' Union - University House, via Northumberland Road and Western Bank.
- It is approximately half a mile (800 metres) long.
Visitors Car Park
- The car park has a tarmac surface and a moderate slope up.
- From the car park, turn right, up the steep slope.
- Access the footpath here via a dropped kerb without tactile paving.
- The footpath has a brick block paving surface and a steep slope. The path is 80 cm wide between the barrier and a bollard.
- Past the barrier, rejoin the service road via a dropped kerb without tactile paving.
- Continue up the service road, past the Goodwin Sports Centre North Building and the Elmfield Building. The road has a tarmac surface and is steep.
- There is a speed bump in the road at the top of the steepest part of the slope. It can be bypassed using the Blue Badge bay next to it if it is not in use.
- After the speed bump, the road levels out slightly until another speed bump.
- After that, the road has a slight to steep slope to Northumberland Road.
- At Northumberland Road, turn left and follow the tarmac path down the slight slope.
- The path is 126 cm at its narrowest.
- The path crosses the access road to the Elmfield Building front car park. There are dropped kerbs without tactile paving either side, and the road has a cobbled surface.
- Just after the car park road is an area of tactile paving as the path passes a crossing towards steps to Synthetic Pitches 1 and 2 on the opposite side of Northumberland Road.
- Continue straight ahead along Northumberland Road, as the gradient shallows and briefly levels out.
- The path then slopes uphill, becoming steep as you approach Western Bank.
- Turn left when you reach Western Bank.
Western Bank, past Weston Park and Firth Court
- Past Northumberland Road, the path starts with a tarmac surface and a moderate slope down.
- It crosses an area of tactile paving as it passes a crossing for Western Bank. Just past this, the path becomes block paving to Mushroom Lane.
- Cross Mushroom Lane, which has dropped kerbs with tactile paving both sides.
- The road has an uneven tarmac surface with a moderate slope down and to the right as you cross.
- Past Mushroom Lane, the path has a moderate slope down with a tarmac surface, then cobbles as it passes the first entrance to Weston Park, then block paving after that.
- There are areas of tactile paving as it passes a crossing for Western Bank and a bus stop.
- The second entrance into Weston Park has a cobbled surface, then it becomes block paving again.
- The path crosses the entrance and exit to the Firth Hall car park.
- These are raised to the level of the path and have a tarmac surface.
- The path then has a moderate to steep slope. It passes an area of tactile paving as it passes a bus stop.
Front of the Alfred Denny Building
- After 45m, just before the path meets the vehicle entrance to the Tower Court car park, turn left and follow the path round to the front of the Alfred Denny Building.
- There is tactile paving at the turn which is for the pedestrian crossing on Western Bank.
- This path has a slight slope down.
- There are bollards at the bottom of the slope.
- The minimum width between the bollards is 113cm.
- The surface beyond the bollards is tarmac.
- Bear left and proceed along the front of the Alfred Denny Building.
- After 6m the path becomes block paved.
- Continue along the front of the Alfred Denny Building to the underpass, on the left.
- Then turn left to go through the underpass.
- This area has a brick block paving surface with an easy slope leading down to the left as you pass through the underpass. It is also uneven in places.
- There is a variety of concrete seating throughout the underpass.
- The underpass leads to the area in front of the Students' Union.
Front of the Students' Union Area
- The plaza area in front of the Students' Union - University House has a stone block paving surface with level access to the main entrance to the Students' Union.