COVID-19 Information (University of Southampton)
- Services / facilities within the building include the Optoelectronics Research Centre as well as Electronics and Computer Science.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the campus.
- This venue is situated in the Highfield Campus.
- The venue is not situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest mainline railway stations are Southampton Parkway (Airport) and Southampton
- Central (City Centre).
- Visitors who hold a Blue Badge can park in any parking bay on campus without needing a University parking permit. Staff and students should obtain a University parking permit from the University’s parking team, which is free of charge to Blue Badge holders.
- There is a map showing disabled parking bays on Highfield Campus: please click here to view.
- If there is not a designated disabled parking bay near to a particular building, then a standard parking bay can be reserved for use by a disabled visitor by contacting parking services on 023 8059 2416.
Parking (Gower Car Park)
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is not free for all users.
- The car park is located to the rear of the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- There is/are 5 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 340cm x 430cm (11ft 2in x 14ft 1in).
- The nearest designated bay is 73m (79yd 2ft) from the Mountbatten Building Main Entrance.
- The furthest designated bay is 97m (106yd 3in) from the Mountbatten Building Main Entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does have tactile paving.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- This car park is for permit holders only.
Outside Access (Mountbatten Building Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open automatically (towards you).
- The doors are single width.
- The door opening is 120cm (3ft 11in) wide.
- There is also a manual revolving door at this entrance, to the right of the automatic door.
Level Change (Mountbatten Building Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located leading to the entrance.
- The ramp or slope is easy.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp.
- There is level access to the service.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Lighting levels are bright.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Customers can charge scooters or wheelchairs at the venue.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are 1-2-3-4.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting level is bright.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located in the lobby.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 1-2-3-4.
- The lift is 8m (26ft 3in) from main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 140cm x 250cm (4ft 7in x 8ft 2in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift controls do have Braille markings.
- The lift controls do have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within reach for a wheelchair user.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- This lift also goes to levels 2, 3 and 4 of the Zepler Building.
- There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The accessible toilet is 29m (32yd) from the main entrance.
- The accessible toilet is located towards the rear of the building.
- There is level access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 85cm (2ft 9in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 240cm x 210cm (7ft 10in x 6ft 11in).
- Floor manoeuvring space is clear in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is not a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is not a functional emergency alarm available.
- It is tied up and out of reach (higher than 10cm (0ft 4in) from floor).
- Disposal facilities are not available in the cubicle.
- There is a coat hook.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There are not mirrors in the accessible toilet.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a sink.
- The sink can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The sink is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the grab rails and wall is good.
- The contrast between the drop down rails and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is fair.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- Accessible shower facilities are available.
- The showers are located within the adapted toilet.
- The facilities available in the accessible shower are an adjustable shower head, handrails and a flip down seat.
- The height of the seat is 50cm (1ft 8in).
- There is level access to the services from the shower facilities.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Shared Toilet(s)
- The unisex toilets are located towards the rear of the building.
- Unisex toilets are 25m (27yd) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the unisex toilet.
- Lighting levels are bright.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.