Show Easy Read
- Services / facilities within the building include research laboratories and staff offices.
- Related link John Maynard Smith.
- There is a link between the second floor of this building and the fourth floor of the John Maynard Smith Building.
- BSMS Research does not have a unique postcode. (It receives no postal deliveries).
- The postcode given here, for satellite navigation purposes, is for the adjacent BSMS Teaching Building.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the campus.
- The nearest mainline station is Falmer.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- This car park is only for permit holders and Blue Badge holders only.
- There are no parking charges for permit holders and Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is at the front of the venue.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do need to be booked in advance.
- There are 3 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 4.1m x 5.2m (13ft 5in x 17ft ).
- The nearest designated bay is 12m (13yd) from the main entrance.
- The furthest designated bay is 20m (22yd) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is/are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb/non stepped access from the car park to the venue.
- The dropped kerb does have tactile paving.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- For further details on parking on campus please see the university website parking page.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main doors open automatically.
- The doors are single width.
- The door opening is 90cm (2ft 11in) wide.
- This door is push pad operated.
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located leading to the entrance.
- The ramp or slope is moderate.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- There is level access to the service.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1-2-3.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting level is bright.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located towards the rear of the building.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1-2-3.
- The lift is 9m (29ft 6in) from main entrance.
- Staff do need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 110cm x 200cm (3ft 7in x 6ft 7in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift controls do not have Braille markings.
- The lift controls do have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within reach for a wheelchair user.
- The lighting level in the lift is low.
- There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is no additional signage on or near the toilet door.
- The accessible toilet is 10m (10yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- The accessible toilet is located on the right of the ground floor.
- There is level access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The door weight is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 165cm x 175cm (5ft 5in x 5ft 9in).
- Floor manoeuvring space is clear in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 98cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is a functional emergency alarm available.
- Disposal facilities are not available in the cubicle.
- There is not a coat hook.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There are mirrors.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 49cm (1ft 7in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The towel dispenser is 140cm (4ft 7in) high.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a sink.
- The sink cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The sink is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the sink is 76cm (2ft 6in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the grab rails and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the drop down rails and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- Additional adapted toilets are located on the first and second floors.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are not available.
- Staff do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are not Text Relay aware.