- The information in this section was taken in December 2020.
- Wherever external queuing is necessary, 2m floor markings have been implemented.
- Student ambassadors are employed to guide people around campus and assist with queue management.
- Hand sanitisers are available at the main entrances and exit points of all buildings, along with main foot flow areas.
- All meeting rooms and social spaces have maximum occupancy on the doors.
- Classrooms and lecture theatres have been timetabled with maximum occupancies considered.
- One way systems have been implemented in most buildings where 2m separation in the corridor cannot be maintained.
- There is clear signage inside to help with social distancing.
- Screens have been added at receptions/ all customer facing services and in some computer clusters.
- Alternate sinks in toilets are out of action to maintain social distancing.
- Social distancing signage has installed for toilet facilities.
- Face coverings are to be worn in buildings.
- Track and Trace barcodes are located at every building entrance.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- Additional information about the measures in place for Covid-19 can be found here (new tab)
- Services / facilities within the building include the School of Engineering and Design, workshops, labs and teaching rooms.
- John Clifford West does not have a unique postcode. (It receives no postal deliveries).
- The postcode given here, for satellite navigation purposes, is for the adjacent Hastings Building.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the campus.
- The nearest mainline station is Falmer.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
Parking (Hastings Car Park)
- This car park is only for permit holders and Blue Badge holders only.
- There are no parking charges for permit holders and Blue Badge holders.
- The car park is outside the Hastings Building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is 1 designated parking bay within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 4.1m x 5.2m (13ft 5in x 17ft).
- The route from the car park to the entrance is not accessible to a wheelchair.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- There is a steep slope leading from this car park to the entrance.
- For further details on parking on campus please see the university website parking page.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main doors open automatically.
- The doors are single width.
- The door opening is 100cm (3ft 3in) wide.
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp or slope is moderate.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp.
- There is level access to the service.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Lighting levels are varied.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting level is medium.
- The steps are not clearly marked.
- The steps are deep.
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located opposite the main entrance.
- The lift is a platform lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G-1.
- The lift is 9m (29ft 6in) from main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 110cm x 140cm (3ft 7in x 4ft 7in).
- There are separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- The lift controls do not have Braille markings.
- The lift controls do have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within reach for a wheelchair user.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The accessible toilet is 7m (7yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- The accessible toilet is located just inside the main entrance.
- There is level access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 92cm (3ft).
- The door weight is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 155cm x 246cm (5ft 1in x 8ft 1in).
- Floor manoeuvring space is clear in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is not a functional emergency alarm available.
- It is out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor).
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is not a coat hook.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There are not mirrors.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 49cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a sink.
- The sink cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The sink is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the grab rails and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the drop down rails and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilets are located to the right as you enter, past the adapted toilet.
- The female and male toilets are 12m (13yd 4in) from the main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilet.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- Staff do not receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are not Text Relay aware.
Deaf Messaging Service
- For more information on the Deaf Messaging Service please click here.