- Services / facilities within the building include Electronics and Computer Science.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the campus.
- This venue is situated in the Highfield Campus.
- The venue is not situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest mainline railway stations are Southampton Parkway (Airport) and Southampton
- Central (City Centre).
- Visitors who hold a Blue Badge can park in any parking bay on campus without needing a University parking permit. Staff and students should obtain a University parking permit from the University’s parking team, which is free of charge to Blue Badge holders.
- There is a map showing disabled parking bays on Highfield Campus: please click here to view.
- If there is not a designated disabled parking bay near to a particular building, then a standard parking bay can be reserved for use by a disabled visitor by contacting parking services on 023 8059 2416.
Parking (Gower Car Park)
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is not free for all users.
- The car park is located to the rear of the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- There is/are 5 designated parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated parking bay(s) are 340cm x 430cm (11ft 2in x 14ft 1in).
- The nearest designated bay is 73m (79yd 2ft) from the Mountbatten Building Main Entrance.
- The furthest designated bay is 97m (106yd 3in) from the Mountbatten Building Main Entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a dropped kerb between the car park and the venue.
- The dropped kerb does have tactile paving.
- The patron does not have to cross a road.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
- This car park is for permit holders only.
Outside Access (Mountbatten Building Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open automatically (towards you).
- The doors are single width.
- The door opening is 120cm (3ft 11in) wide.
- There is also a manual revolving door at this entrance, to the right of the automatic door.
Level Change (Mountbatten Building Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp or slope to access this service.
- The ramp or slope is located leading to the entrance.
- The ramp or slope is easy.
- The ramp or slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp.
Outside Access (Zepler Building Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located directly to the right of the Mountbatten Building main entrance as you enter.
- There is level access into the venue.
- There are no doors at this entrance.
- The door opening is 225cm (7ft 5in) wide.
Reception (Faculty of Physical Science and Engineering Student Office)
- The desk is 6m (6yd 1ft) from the Zepler main entrance.
- There is level access to reception from the entrance.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The reception desk is high (110cm+).
- The desk has a low (76cm or lower) section.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The type of system is a fixed loop.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- There is level access to the service.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Customers can charge scooters or wheelchairs at the venue.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are 1-2-3-4.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The steps are not clearly marked.
- The steps are deep (18cm+).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located opposite the student office.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are 1-2-3-4.
- The lift is 15m (16yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 80cm (2ft 7in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 107cm x 138cm (3ft 6in x 4ft 6in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is bright.
- There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The accessible toilet is 13m (14yd 8in) from the Zepler entrance.
- The accessible toilet is located at the rear of the reception lobby, next to the lift.
- There is level access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The door weight is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 150cm x 211cm (4ft 11in x 6ft 11in).
- Floor manoeuvring space is clear in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 83cm (2ft 9in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a coat hook.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is higher than 95cm (3ft 1in).
- There are mirrors.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 46cm (1ft 6in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The toilet roll holder is 112cm (3ft 8in) high.
- There is a sink.
- The sink can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The sink is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the grab rails and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the drop down rails and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- There is an identical accessible toilet located on level 4 (photograph 3).
- There are also toilets on levels 2 and 3, which do not have shelves but are brightly lit (photograph 2).
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilets are located off the level 1 corridor.
- The female and male toilets are 30m (32yd 2ft) from the zepler entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- These toilets also contains standard showers with level access.
- There are additional standard male and female toilets located on levels 2,3 and 4.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.