- Services / facilities within the building include self catered university accommodation.
- Related link Holyrood North Residences - Main Hall.
- Related link Holyrood North Residences - Forth Hall.
- Related link Holyrood North Residences - Tyne Hall, Esk Hall and Carron Hall.
- Holyrood North Residences - Tweed Hall.
- The Central Area is located on the south side in the city centre. Traffic congestion can be a problem and parking is strictly controlled.
- A number of university car parks are located in the near the Halls of Residences. The Transport and Parking Office of the University of Edinburgh manages parking at the University. University car parks are for the use of permit holders only and are subject to the university’s parking regulations. Permits are available for visitors to the university. There is also the St John's Hill pay and display public car park located along Viewcraig Gardens.
- There are bus stops around the area of the Halls. The nearest bus stops are located along Holyrood Road and serve route number six.
- The Halls are located is 0.4 miles from Edinburgh Waverley Station. It should be noted that some of the walking routes may feature paths with steep gradients or steps given the landscape. A taxi can be taken to this site. Edinburgh has rail links throughout the UK. The East Coast mainline, which links Edinburgh and London King’s Cross, is the UK's fastest intercity railway: you can travel between the cities in around 4 hours. Or, if you prefer to travel overnight, a sleeper service runs between London Euston and Edinburgh Waverley 6 nights a week. There are great links to other cities too. The journey to Glasgow only takes 45 minutes, while York, Newcastle, Inverness or Aberdeen can be reached in about 2 hours. All trains arrive at Waverley Station in the centre of the city, although some trains also stop at Haymarket, which is a smaller station in the West End.
- To see more information on The University of Edinburgh Hospitality and Events Collection please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 651 2011.
- Email: [email protected].
- Staff receive Disability Equality Training.
Site/Campus Car Park
- The car park is located off St John Street.
- The nearest building(s) to this car park is/are Charteris Land.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park surface is block paving.
- Designated Blue Badge parking bays are not available.
Charges and Restrictions
- This car park can be used by permit holders.
- There are no parking charges that apply on the day.
- Signs are provided to give information on parking charges/restrictions.
- Signs are clearly presented.
Drop Off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point in this car park.
Car Park Access
- There is sloped access to the car park from the Holyrood North Residences.
- This car park is not clearly signposted from the Holyrood North Residences.
- This information is for the entrance located at the rear of the Main Hall.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- The intercom is in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- A key fob is required for access at this entrance.
- The card reader/lock is not in a suitable position to allow wheelchair users to gain access.
- There is a canopy or recess which provides weather protection at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 200cm (6ft 7in).
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- There is a ramp/slope at this entrance.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- The ramp is permanent.
- The building is entered on the basement floor.
- There is step free access throughout the majority of the building, via lift.
- There are not doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- There is not clear signage for building facilities/areas in the foyer/reception area.
- There is no directional signage at key points of circulation routes.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in all corridors.
- The lighting levels are good.
- This building does not play background music.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located at the end of the corridor in front of you on entrance.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are B-G-1-2-3-4-5.
- Wall mounted information boards are provided at lift landings.
- The lift is approximately 21m (22yd 2ft) from the entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 132cm x 144cm (4ft 4in x 4ft 9in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The lift does not have a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is bright.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G-1-2-3-4-5.
- The stairs are located to your left on entrance.
- The stairs are approximately 5m from the main entrance.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a similar set of stairs located next to the lift.
Auxiliary Aids - General
- None of the rooms have auxiliary aids for people with sensory impairments.
- The accommodation does not provide other auxiliary aids for people with mobility impairments.
- Assistance dogs are welcome to stay with residents in standard rooms.
Ground Floor Rooms
- Ground floor rooms do have level access.
- Adjoining rooms are not available.
Standard Rooms on Other Floors
- There are standard rooms on other floors.
- The other floors can be accessed by lift.
- There is level access to standard rooms on other floors.