- The information in this section was taken in October 2020.
- The terminal is closed to passengers and flights between 17:00 and 05:00 every night. There is no access into the terminal building during these closure hours.
- The free set-down option in the Mid-Stay car park has moved to Blue Short Stay. Blue Short Stay is a 10-15 minute walk from the terminal. The Express Set Down (chargeable) remains open as usual.
- There have been no changes to the entrances or exits.
- Only passengers flying are allowed to enter the terminal wherever possible. Family/friends/carers may enter to assist passengers who require help on Departure or Arrival.
- Hand sanitising stations are available at:
- The main check-in concourse x2.
- Immediately after Security before Duty Free x2.
- Immigration before the Border.
- Baggage Reclaim Hall.
in addition to handwashing facilities in all existing toilets.
- Extensive signage is in place to remind passengers about social distancing, the requirement to wear a face covering and to wash hands.
- Protective screens are in place at all desks including; Check-in Desks, Information Desks, PRM Receptions, and Boarding Gates.
- There have been no change to the toilet facilities.
- Face masks are required in all indoor areas at all times, unless when seated to eat/drink. If a passenger is exempt from wearing a face mask for medical reasons they are advised to check with the airline, as all airlines flying from Stansted may require proof of exemption before allowing boarding.
- For more information about the measures in place for Covid-19 please click here (new tab) .
- The Transit Trains are accessed at the rear of the departure lounge.
- The Transit Trains are used to access Departures (Gates 1-19 and Gates 20-39)
- The Transit Trains are also used to get from Arrivals (Gates 1-19 and Gates 20-39) to Immigration.
- There is step free access onto the Transit Trains.
- The doors onto the trains are automatic and 210cm wide.
- There is fixed seating available at either end of the train which have priority for passengers with mobility issues.
- There are supports poles for passengers who are standing.
Arrival from Transit
- There is level access from the transit to the Immigration Hall.
Lift (Arrivals Gate 40-59 via Lift)
- There is a lift for public use.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The dimensions of the lift are 154cm x 180cm (5ft 1in x 5ft 11in).
- The clear door width is 130cm (4ft 3in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is medium.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does not have tactile markings.
- There are accessible toilets within this venue designated for public use.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The accessible toilet is 50m (54yd 2ft) from the transit / lift.
- The accessible toilet is located to the right of the Immigration Hall.
- There is level access to the accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens inwards and outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 86cm (2ft 10in).
- The door weight is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 155cm x 225cm (5ft 1in x 7ft 5in).
- Floor manoeuvring space is clear in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is not a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is sensor.
- There is a mixer tap.
- The emergency alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a coat hook.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall mounted rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is not higher than 95cm (3ft 1in).
- There are mirrors.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 48cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a sink.
- The sink can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The sink is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the grab rails and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the drop down rails and wall is good.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is fair.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilets are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilets are located to the right of the immigration hall.
- The female and male toilets are 50m (54yd 2ft) from the transit / lift.
- Lighting levels are bright.
- The accessible lane is located to the right of the Non-EU Passport Holders queue.
- The right fast track lane is the accessible lane and is clearly signed.
- There are clipboards available if required at the entrance.
- The entrance is 150cm (4ft 11in) wide.
- The desk is staffed.
- The standard gates are 150cm (4ft 11in) wide.
- There are automatic e-Passport Gates available at immigration.
- You can use the gates if you are a passport holder of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) - including the UK - or Switzerland; and if you have the EEA chip logo on your passport.
- The system uses facial recognition technology to compare your face to the photograph recorded on the 'chip' in your passport. Once the checks are made, the gates will open automatically for you to go through.
- To use the gates you need to be able to stand so the software can take your picture.
- The gates slide open and are 45cm (1ft 6in) wide.
- The passport scanner is 100cm (3ft 3in) high.