Show Easy Read
- Services / facilities within the building include student halls of residence.
- The venue is not situated on a road which has a steep gradient.
- The nearest mainline station is Durham.
- There is not a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The venue does have its own car park.
Venue Car Park
- Parking is free for all users.
- The car park is located to the right rear as you face the building.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- There is/are 1 Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the Blue Badge parking bay(s) are 480cm x 450cm (15ft 9in x 14ft 9in).
- Designated parking bays are clearly marked.
- The nearest Blue Badge bay is 32m (34yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- The route from the car park to the entrance is accessible to a wheelchair user with assistance.
- Assistance may be required because there is / are slopes/ramps.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is not a road to cross between the car park and the entrance.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- There is not a designated drop off point.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double (with one leaf locked).
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 84cm (2ft 9in).
Second set of doors
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The door(s) is / are permanently held open.
- The width of the door opening is 120cm (3ft 11in).
Level Change (Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp/slope is located leading to the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is moderate.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Customers can charge scooters or wheelchairs at the venue.
- Some of the rooms have auxiliary aids for people with sensory impairments.
- Flashing alarms are available.
- Vibrating pillows are available.
- Flashing fire alarms are available on request.
- Vibrating fire alarms are available on request.
- The accommodation does not provide other auxiliary aids for people with mobility impairments.
- Assistance dogs are welcome to stay with residents in standard rooms.
- Adjoining rooms are not available.
- Shower facilities are available.
- The shower(s) surveyed is/are located along the main corridors.
- There is level access to the services from the shower facilities.
- The standard showers are accessed via 1 deep step.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 48m (52yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located at the right rear of the building.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 84cm (2ft 9in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 167cm x 250cm (5ft 6in x 8ft 2in).
- There is a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush, however it is not on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is not an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The coat hook is within 120cm (3ft 11in) from floor level.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 46cm (1ft 6in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is poor.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Location of Standard Toilet(s)
- There are shared standard toilets facilities on the ground floor.
Standard Toilet Surveyed
- A shared standard toilet was surveyed.
- The toilet surveyed is located along the main corridor, to the right as you enter through the main entrance.
- There is step free access to the standard toilet(s) surveyed from the entrance.
- The standard toilet surveyed is approximately 18m from the main entrance.
- There is not a/are not cubicle(s) suitable for ambulant disabled people in the standard toilet(s) surveyed.
- Lighting levels in the standard toilet surveyed are varied.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are not Text Relay aware.