- The opening times vary depending on shows and events taking place.
- Please contact the theatre for more information.
- The venue is situated within the centre of the campus.
- This venue is situated in Colchester.
- The nearest mainline station is Hythe.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- Altough not as close as Hythe, most visitors choose to arrive at Colchester North Station where bus and taxi connections are more readily available.
- There are several car parks located throughout the campus.
- For further information, please see theUniversity website parking page.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) automatically (towards you).
Second set of doors
- The automatic doors are push pad activated.
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The width of the door opening is 160cm (5ft 3in).
- There is a small lip on the threshold of the entrance, with a height of 2cm or below.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- This venue does play background music.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- Photograph 2 shows the studio space.
- There is level access via lift to this faciltiy.
Reception (Box Office)
- Box Office is located to the right as you exit the lift on the ground floor.
- The desk is 10m (10yd 2ft) from the lift.
- Clear signage for the reception area is not visible from the lift.
- There is step free access to this reception area, via lift.
- The lighting levels in the reception area are medium.
- The reception desk/counter is high (110cm+).
- There is a low section of the counter (76cm or below) available.
- There is a clear knee recess beneath the low counter.
- The desk is not staffed.
- There is not a bell to attract attention.
- The type of system is infrared.
- The hearing system is available only on request.
- The hearing assistance system is not signed.
- Staff are trained to use the system.
- The touch screen is at a suitable height for a wheelchair user.
Restaurant Bar Internal
- The following information is for the cafe.
- Once inside, there is level access to the service.
- Full table service is not available.
- Food or drinks are ordered from the counter.
- Food or drinks cannot be brought to the table.
- There is not a lowered section at the service counter.
- No tables are permanently fixed.
- No chairs are permanently fixed.
- Some chairs have armrests.
- The nearest table is 1m (3ft 3in) from the main entrance.
- The distance between the floor and the lowest table is 71cm (2ft 4in).
- The distance between the floor and the highest table is 71cm (2ft 4in).
- Menus are wall only.
- Menus are not available in Braille.
- Menus are not available in large print.
- Menus are clearly written.
- Menus are presented in contrasting colours.
- The type of food served here is snacks.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are LG, G and 1.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The lighting levels are bright.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is a platform lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are LG, G and 1.
- The lift is approximately 9m (9yd 2ft) from the main entrance.
- Staff do not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The clear door width is 96cm (3ft 2in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 98cm x 140cm (3ft 3in x 4ft 7in).
- There are not separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does not have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The controls for the lift are within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lighting level in the lift is bright.
- Photograph 3 shows the lift on the ground floor.
- Photograph 4 shows the lift in the studio space.
- There are designated spaces for wheelchair users.
- Designated seating is located next to the theatre entrance (as shown in photograph 1).
- Wheelchairs are left with the patron.
- A companion may sit with you.
- Companions sit next to you.
- It is 9m (29ft 6in) from the designated seating area to the nearest adapted toilet.
- This venue does not provide audio described performances.
- There is a hearing assistance system.
- The hearing system is infrared.
- Staff are trained to use the hearing system.
- A deposit is not required for the hearing system.
- There is not a wheelchair to borrow.
- Concessions are available.
- Assistance dogs are allowed in the auditorium.
- Carers get free admisson.
- The designated seating area is 12m from the lift.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 20m (21yd 2ft) from the lift.
- This accessible toilet is located to the left of the theatre.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
- This is by lift.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 88cm (2ft 11in).
- The door is light.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 180cm x 220cm (5ft 11in x 7ft 3in).
- There is a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush, however it is not on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is fully functional.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The coat hook is not within 120cm (3ft 11in) from floor level.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is not a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is good.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are bright.
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located to the left as you exit the lift on the ground floor.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 15m (16yd 1ft) from the lift.
- Inside the venue, there is not level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are bright.
Level Change (Standard Toilets)
- There is a/are step(s) to access this area/service.
- The step(s) is/are located leading up to the toilets.
- There is/are 4 step(s) to the area/service.
- The lighting levels at the step(s) are bright.
- The step(s) is/are clearly marked.
- The step(s) is/are medium height (11cm - 17cm).
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The handrail(s) is/are on both sides.
- Documents can be requested in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not generally on duty.
- This service can be requested.
- Staff are Text Relay aware.
- Plastic cups are available.
- Staff may recieve disability awareness training.