Show Easy Read
- Services / facilities within the building include a large play room, separate soft play room and multi-purpose room, accessible and standard toilets and a kitchen.
- Services / facilities within the grounds include extensive play equipment including climbing frames and a large river-themed sand pit. There is also a fire bowl for special events and an allotment area.
- Links to a step-free route from Mile End Station to the Childrens' Park and a downloadable audio guide to Mile End Park can be found on the Tower Hamlets Council website.
Opening Times (Playground - Summer)
- Monday 10:00 - 20:00.
- Tuesday 10:00 - 20:00.
- Wednesday 10:00 - 20:00.
- Thursday 10:00 - 20:00.
- Friday 10:00 - 20:00.
- Saturday 10:00 - 20:00.
- Sunday 10:00 - 20:00.
- In Winter the playground closes at 18:00.
Opening Times (Play Centre)
- Monday 10:00 - 15:30.
- Tuesday 10:00 - 15:30.
- Wednesday 10:00 - 15:30.
- Thursday 10:00 - 15:30.
- Friday 10:00 - 15:30.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
- There is a programme of weekly drop-in stay and play sessions.
- The centre is also used at other times for groups such as; home education associations, the toy library etc.
- Please contact the centre for further details.
- There is a bus stop within 150m (164yds) of the venue.
- The nearest National Rail station is Limehouse.
- The nearest underground station is Mile End.
- The nearest DLR station is Westferry.
- The venue is a separate enclosed park located at the southern end of Mile End Park.
- The entrance to the Children's Park is on Locksley Street.
- The venue does not have its own car park.
Public Car Parks
- There is not a car park for public use within 200m (approx).
On Street Parking and Drop-off Details
- On street marked Blue Badge bays are not available.
- Clearly signed and / or standard marked parking bays are not available.
- There is a designated drop off point.
- The drop off point is located outside the park gates on Locksley Street.
- There is a dropped kerb from the drop off point.
- There is not tactile paving on the dropped kerb.
- The on-street parking bays are in a Residents' Controlled Parking Zone.
Outside Access (Play Centre Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building.
- There is not level access into the venue.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The door(s) is / are heavy.
- The width of the door opening is 148cm (4ft 10in).
Level Change (Play Centre Main Entrance)
- There is a ramp/slope to access this area/service.
- The ramp or slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope is easy.
- The ramp/slope is permanent.
- There is not a level landing at the top of the ramp/slope.
- The ramp does not have handrails.
- There is some uneven paving just in front of the door threshold.
- There is level access to the service(s).
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- This venue does not play background music.
- Motorised scooters are allowed in public parts of the venue.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The large play room has a range of areas defined for different activities such as imaginative play, craft activities, a book area etc.
- There is a separate soft play room.
- The kitchen is sometimes used for cookery classes.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 11m (12yd 1in) from the Play Centre main entrance.
- The accessible toilet is located at the rear of the venue.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 89cm (2ft 11in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 230cm x 195cm (7ft 7in x 6ft 5in).
- There is not sufficient turning space in the cubicle for a wheelchair user.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the left.
- The lateral transfer space is 150cm (4ft 11in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary disposal units.
- There is a/are coat hook(s).
- The coat hook is not within 120cm (3ft 11in) from floor level.
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on both sides.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is not higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 47cm (1ft 7in).
- There is a hand dryer.
- The hand dryer cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The hand dryer is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the hand dryer is 110cm (3ft 7in).
- There is not a towel dispenser.
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is fair.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Baby Change Facilities
- Baby change facilities are located within the venue.
- Baby change facilities are located inside the accessible toilet.
- The height of the baby change table once extended is 90cm (2ft 11in).
Availability and Location of Standard Toilets
- Standard toilet facilities are available.
Access to Standard Female and Male Toilet(s)
- The female and male toilet facilities that were surveyed are located at the rear of the venue.
- The female and male toilets are approximately 11m (12yd 1in) from the Play Centre main entrance.
- Inside the venue, there is level access to the female and male toilets.
- Lighting levels are medium.
- Staff do receive disability awareness / equality training.
- Documents are not available in Braille.
- Documents can be requested in large print.
- A bowl of water can be provided for an assistance dog.
- A member of staff trained in BSL skills is not normally on duty.
- This service can be requested.