Show Easy Read
- The School of Education
Ground Floor - Head of School, Research and Knowledge Exchange
First Floor - Balcony Room, Cromwell Room, Finance Officer, administrative offices, Deputy Director of Professional Services and the University Vice Principal's office.
Rooms and Spaces Links
- Monday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Tuesday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Wednesday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Thursday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Friday 07:30 - 18:30.
- Saturday Closed.
- Sunday Closed.
- This building is located at the Holyrood campus in the centre of Edinburgh, between The Royal Mile and Holyrood Road.
- The Transport and Parking Office of the University of Edinburgh manages parking at the University. University car parks are for the use of permit holders only and are subject to the university’s parking regulations. Permits are available for visitors to the university.
- This building is served by the number 35 bus stopping at the Canongate Kirk bus stop on The Royal Mile, or the number 6 bus stopping at the Hammerman's Entry bus stop on Holyrood Road. Real time travel information is available at the majority of Bus Stops.
- The Holyrood site is approximately half a mile from Edinburgh Waverley Train Station, the city's main train station. Buses are available from the station to the site.
- To see the university's webpage for travel and parking information for the King's Buildings please use this link.
- To view the web page described above click here (opens in new tab).
- To see more information on The Advice Place please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 650 9225.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To see more information on The Student Disability Service please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 650 6828.
- Email: email@example.com.
- To see more information on Student Recruitment and Admissions please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 650 4360.
- To see more information on Accommodation please click here (opens new tab).
- Telephone Number: 0131 667 1971.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Staff receive Disability Equality Training.
Site/Campus Car Park (Holyrood Campus)
- The car park is located in the centre of the Holyrood campus.
- The nearest building(s) to this car park is/are Moray House Nursery School.
- The car park type is open air/surface.
- The car park does not have a height restriction barrier.
- The car park surface is block paving.
- Designated Blue Badge parking bays are available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are signposted but have no markings.
- There is/are 2 designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within this car park.
Charges and Restrictions
- This car park can be used by Blue Badge holders.
- There are no parking charges that apply on the day.
- Signs are not provided to give information on parking charges/restrictions.
Drop Off Point
- There is not a designated drop off point in this car park.
Car Park Access
- There is sloped access to the car park from the Old Moray House Building.
- This car park is not clearly signposted from the Old Moray House Building.
- The nearest designated bay is 33m (36yd 3in) from the main entrance.
Outside Access (Main Entrance)
- This information is for the entrance located at the front of the building, in the Holyrood Campus courtyard.
- There is ramped/sloped access at this entrance.
- The main door(s) open(s) towards you (pull).
- The door(s) is / are double.
- The door(s) is / are permanently held open.
- The width of the door opening is 104cm (3ft 5in).
- There is a second set of doors.
- The door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is / are single.
- The width of the door opening is 111cm (3ft 8in).
- There is a ramp/slope at this entrance.
- The ramp/slope is located in front of the entrance.
- The ramp/slope gradient is easy.
- The ramp is permanent.
- The School of Education reception is located ahead as you enter the main entrance.
- The desk is 3m (3yd 10in) from the main entrance.
- The reception area is clearly visible from the entrance.
- There is step free access to this reception area.
- The lighting levels in the reception area are medium.
- The reception desk/counter is low (76cm or lower).
- There is not a clear knee recess beneath the low counter.
- The desk is staffed.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- There is seating in the foyer next to the reception.
- Some of the seats have armrests.
- There is a 3-seater sofa.
- The sofa does not have armrests.
- There is/are 3 clearly marked step(s), with handrails on both sides, for access to the right hand side of the building on the ground floor.
- The step(s) is/are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps are shown in photograph 4.
- There are doors in corridors which have to be opened manually.
- There is not clear signage for building facilities/areas in the foyer/reception area.
- There is no directional signage at key points of circulation routes.
- There is good colour contrast between the walls and floor in the majority of corridors.
- The lighting levels are varied.
- This building does not play background music.
- There is not a hearing assistance system.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are LG-G-1.
- The stairs are located in the foyer to the right of the reception area.
- The stairs are approximately 6m from the main entrance.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- There are manual, heavy, double doors to access the stairwell on the lower ground floor and on the first floor.
- The lighting levels are medium.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- The steps are medium (11cm - 17cm).
- The steps do have handrails.
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- There is a landing.
- There is a similar set of stairs at the right hand side of the building (shown in photographs 4 and 5).
- The area(s)/service(s) on the floors which are not accessible is/are meeting rooms and the balcony room.
- The lower ground floor staircase is accessed by a single manual heavy door.
- There are accessible toilet facilities within this venue.
Location and Access
- The toilet is not for the sole use of disabled people.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- This accessible toilet is approximately 16m (17yd 1ft) from the main entrance.
- This accessible toilet is located in the corridor at the rear of the building.
- There is level access to this accessible toilet.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a unisex toilet.
- A key is not required for the accessible toilet.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is locked by a twist lock.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 82cm (2ft 8in).
- The door is heavy.
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 143cm x 201cm (4ft 8in x 6ft 7in).
- There is not a clear 150cm x 150cm manoeuvring space in the accessible toilet.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 77cm (2ft 6in).
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- The tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is an emergency pull cord alarm in the cubicle.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- Disposal facilities are available in the cubicle.
- There is a/are female sanitary and open waste paper bin disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- Wall-mounted grab rails are available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rails are on the left.
- There is a shelf within the accessible toilet.
- The shelf is not higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a mirror.
- Mirrors are not placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 45cm (1ft 6in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- The height of the toilet roll holder is 107cm (3ft 6in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- The height of the wash basin is 76cm (2ft 6in).
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the external door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are medium.
Location of Standard Toilet(s)
- There are male and female standard toilets facilities on the ground floor.
Standard Toilet Surveyed
- A female standard toilet was surveyed.
- The toilet surveyed is located in the corridor at the rear of the building.
- There is a male standard toilet in the same location.
- There is step free access to the standard toilet(s) surveyed from the entrance.
- The standard toilet surveyed is approximately 18m from the main entrance.
- There is not a/are not cubicle(s) suitable for ambulant disabled people in the standard toilet(s) surveyed.
- Lighting levels in the standard toilet surveyed are poor.