Show Easy Read
Getting Help and Assistance
- There is a member of staff available for help and assistance.
- Staff receive disability awareness/equality training.
- There is a member of staff trained in British Sign Language.
- Staff receive deaf awareness training.
- There is not an assistance dog toilet or toileting area at the venue/near by.
- Water bowls for assistance dogs are available.
- The Oracle is in the centre of Reading. There are various routes to the venue. For sat nav users please use the following postcodes for our car parks: Holy Brook Car Park: RG1 2LR, Bridge Street The Riverside Car Park: RG1 2AG, Mill Lane.
- There are two car parks available Holy Brook and The Riverside.
- There is a bus stop within 150 metres of the venue.
- Reading has an award-winning and excellent bus network including Park and Ride schemes stopping near The Oracle. Most buses run late into the night. There are also a number of buses that run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week: emerald 5, emerald 6, purple 17 and claret 21. The Reading Readibus has a drop off point outside the Yield Hall entrance. ReadiBus is the dial-a-ride bus service for people with restricted mobility in and around Reading . For more information on Readibus please click here (opens in new tab).
- For more information on Reading Buses please click here (opens new tab).
- The nearest Railway Station is Reading.
- Reading station has connections throughout the UK and is situated just 5 minutes walk away. Simply exit the station through the main entrance and cross over the pedestrian crossing immediately outside. Turn left and follow the road straight ahead until you come to the end of the road which brings you out into Broad Street opposite John Lewis. Turn left and The Oracle is on the right hand side, opposite Marks and Spencer.
- For more information on National Rail please click here (opens new tab).
Parking (Riverside Car Park)
- The venue does have its own parking facilities.
- The car park is located off Bridge Street.
- The car park type is multi storey.
- The car park does have a height restriction barrier.
- The maximum height of the restriction barrier is 210cm (6ft 11in).
- The car park does have a barrier control system.
- Controls at the barrier are within the range of 100cm to 110cm.
- The barrier controls/touchscreen can be reached from the car.
- The car park surface is tarmac.
- There is a/are Blue Badge parking bay(s) available.
- The Blue Badge bay(s) is/are clearly marked.
- There is/are 10+ designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) within the car park.
- The dimensions of the designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) surveyed are 370cm x 580cm (12ft 2in x 19ft).
- There is not a 120cm hatched zone around the Blue Badge parking bay(s).
- The dimensions of other designated Blue Badge parking bay(s) vary in size.
- Parking spaces for Blue Badge holders do not need to be booked in advance.
- Clearly marked/signposted parent and child parking bays are available.
- All parking spaces are provided on a first come first served basis.
- There is an additional car park for visitors.
- There are parking charges for the car park.
- Parking is not free for visitors of the venue.
- Payment signs are provided.
- Payment signs are clearly presented.
- Payment signs are located at the payment machines in the car park.
- Payment term signs do make it clear if parking charges apply to Blue Badge holders.
- Parking is not free for Blue Badge holders.
- Payment machines are located in the lift lobby of the car park and in the atrium.
- There is a payment machine at a convenient height for wheelchair users.
- There is a level turning space (minimum 185cm x 210cm) in front of the payment machine(s).
- There is not a/are not clearly marked drop-off point(s).
- Stairs can be used to access other floors.
- The stairs are for public use.
- The stairs are located to the left of the lift lobby.
- There are manual, heavy, single doors to enter and exit the stairwell on all floors.
- The floors which are accessible by stairs are G, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- There are 15+ steps between floors.
- The height of the step(s) is/are between the recommended 15cm and 18cm.
- The going of the step(s) is/are not between the recommended 30cm and 45cm.
- The steps are clearly marked.
- There is a/are handrail(s) at the step(s).
- The steps have a handrail on both sides.
- Handrails are at the recommended height (90cm-100cm).
- Handrails do cover the flight of stairs throughout its length.
- Handrails are easy to grip.
- Handrails do not extend horizontally beyond the first and last steps.
- There is a landing.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on landings.
- The lighting levels at the steps are good.
- There is a lift for public use.
- The lift is located to the left and right of the lift lobby.
- The lift is a standard lift.
- A member of staff does not need to be notified for use of the lift.
- The floors which are accessible by this lift are G, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
- There are manual, heavy, double doors to access the lift lobby on all floors.
- Clear signs indicating the facilities on each floor are provided on lift lobby landings.
- There is a clear level manoeuvring space of 150cm × 150cm in front of the lift.
- Lift doors do contrast visually with lift lobby walls.
- The external controls for the lift are not within 90cm - 110cm from the floor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift controls and the control plate is poor.
- The colour contrast between the external lift control plate and the wall is good.
- The clear door width is 120cm (3ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the lift are 195cm x 175cm (6ft 5in x 5ft 9in).
- There are no separate entry and exit doors in the lift.
- There is not a mirror to aid reversing out of the lift.
- There is a list of floor services available within the lift.
- The lift does have a visual floor indicator.
- The lift does have an audible announcer.
- The controls for the lift are not within 90cm - 120cm from the floor.
- The lift controls are within 95cm and 125cm from the floor.
- There is not a hearing loop system.
- The lift does have Braille markings.
- The lift does have tactile markings.
- The lighting levels in the lift are good.
- There is a/are similar lift(s) available.
- There are three similar lifts available. Two of the lifts only access the ground floor up to the fifth floor.
Accessible Toilet(s) (Riverside Car Park - Level 1)
- There is an/are accessible toilet(s) for public use.
Location and Access
- The accessible toilet surveyed is for the sole use of disabled people.
- This accessible toilet is located next to the Blue Badge parking bays, to the right of the lift lobby.
- There is step free access to the accessible toilet, via lift.
Features and Dimensions
- This is a shared toilet.
- A key is required for the accessible toilet.
- The key is a radar key.
- The key can be obtained from a member of staff.
- There is pictorial signage on or near the toilet door.
- The door opens outwards.
- The door is heavy.
- The door is locked by a locking handle.
- The width of the accessible toilet door is 90cm (2ft 11in).
- The dimensions of the accessible toilet are 147cm x 230cm (4ft 10in x 7ft 7in).
- The accessible toilet does not have an unobstructed minimum turning space of 150cm x 150cm.
- The toilet has a non slip floor.
- There is a lateral transfer space.
- As you face the toilet pan the transfer space is on the right.
- The lateral transfer space is 75cm (2ft 6in).
- There is a flush on the transfer side.
- There is a spatula type lever flush.
- There is a dropdown rail on the transfer side.
- There is an emergency alarm.
- The emergency pull cord alarm is not fully functional.
- The alarm was out of reach (higher than 10cm (4") from floor) when surveyed.
- There is not a flashing fire alarm beacon within the toilet.
- Disposal facilities are available in the toilet.
- There is a/are open waste paper bin disposal units.
- There is not a/are not coat hook(s).
Position of Fixtures
- There is a/are wall-mounted grab rail(s) available.
- As you face the toilet the wall-mounted grab rail(s) is/are on both sides.
- There is a vertical wall-mounted grab rail on the transfer side.
- There is a horizontal wall-mounted grab rail on the opposite side of the seat to the transfer space.
- There is a mirror.
- The mirror is placed at a lower level or at an angle for ease of use.
- There is not a shelf next to the toilet.
- The toilet has a backrest and a cistern.
- The height of the toilet seat above floor level is 55cm (1ft 10in).
- There is a toilet roll holder.
- The toilet roll holder can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The toilet roll holder is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is a wash basin.
- The wash basin can be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The wash basin is not placed higher than 74cm (2ft 5in).
- There are vertical wall-mounted grab rails on both sides of the wash basin.
- The wash basin tap type is lever.
- There is a mixer tap.
- There is a soap dispenser.
- The soap dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The height of the soap dispenser is 100cm.
- There is a towel dispenser.
- The towel dispenser cannot be reached from seated on the toilet.
- The towel dispenser is not placed higher than 100cm (3ft 3in).
- There is not a hand dryer.
Colour Contrast and Lighting
- The contrast between the external door and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the internal door and wall is good.
- The contrast between the dropdown rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The contrast between the wall-mounted grab rail(s) and wall is poor.
- The toilet seat colour contrast is poor.
- The contrast between the walls and floor is good.
- The lighting levels are good.
- The nearest standard toilet(s) is/are located on Holy Brook Walk - Lower Mall.
Exit (Riverside Exit)
- This information is for the exit located to the right after you exit the lift.
- The exit area/door is clearly signed internally.
- The exit is step free.
- The exit door(s) does not/do not contrast visually with its immediate surroundings.
- The door(s) open(s) automatically.
- The door(s) is/are double width.
- The width of the door opening is 330cm.